Author Topic: Here's a odd question?  (Read 672 times)

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
Here's a odd question?
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:15:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How much has our lousy football record of last year and this year cost Warner Brothers in revenue from the movie? Were we a bowl team last year and this, how much more, if any, would have been made at the box office and DVD sales?

Also how much as the lousy record cost us in publicity, which turns into enrollment, licensed merchandise sales, and donations from reconnected alumni that would have been multiplied because of the movie?

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

HerdFans.com

Here's a odd question?
    « on: November 07, 2007, 12:15:36 AM »

Offline Oh Herd CR

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    Re: Here's a odd question?
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:49:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't even know where or how to guess all that but those are GREAT questions.  Your point is even better.

Losing in football = losing fans all the way around.  It's just sad.

Go Herd!

Beat ECU
    Well done is better than well said.  - Ben Franklin

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 06:51:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Though my Jschool professor hates to hear it, I would have never reconnected with the university had it not been for our football team being decent.  I live a couple hundred miles away, and there are plenty of other causes that would like my time, money and attention.

I doubt it hurt the movie much, but the residual effect is far reaching and overwhelmingly negative.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Also how much as the lousy record cost us in publicity, which turns into enrollment, licensed merchandise sales, and donations from reconnected alumni that would have been multiplied because of the movie?

I think recruiting is where it's gonna hurt the most. The fans and alumni will be around if the product is there to bring them. It's gonna be hard to get good talented players (coaches included) to come to a program that's been driven in the ground.

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:39:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think recruiting is where it's gonna hurt the most. The fans and alumni will be around if the product is there to bring them. It's gonna be hard to get good talented players (coaches included) to come to a program that's been driven in the ground.

There is a lot of true there but I'm not sure either statement is 100% accurate. The number #1 reason a recruit chooses a particular school is playing time. So a lousy team is a opportunity to see the field early. Getting good coaches may not be that big of a problem either as there is no way to go but up. It's always better to go into a new job when the guy before you was less than adequate. You are a hero to start.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is a lot of true there but I'm not sure either statement is 100% accurate. The number #1 reason a recruit chooses a particular school is playing time. So a lousy team is a opportunity to see the field early. Getting good coaches may not be that big of a problem either as there is no way to go but up. It's always better to go into a new job when the guy before you was less than adequate. You are a hero to start.

Photo I do see your perspective on the coaching position but I still think it will hurt a little in the recruiting arena. We will get some kids that will want playing time but will they be the best we could have gotten if we had 3 past years of winning 8 games or more per year, bowl game appearences, top 25 rankings, etc.?  I guess we can both agree that it's hurting us one way or the other.

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...We will get some kids that will want playing time but will they be the best we could have gotten if we had 3 past years of winning 8 games or more per year, bowl game appearences, top 25 rankings, etc.?  I guess we can both agree that it's hurting us one way or the other.

Very true...Playing time is the the biggest single factor for most kids but it is not the only factor and for some not a factor at all. The second biggest reason kids pick a school is playing on TeeVee. Certainly our horrible results have an effect there. Plus all kids want to play for a winner and they have to be convinced that the coaching staff will take them there.

...Jack Lengyel

Offline Thunder Struck

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • PHOTO / BIGGREENARMS ...

You both have good points ... and both will hurt us to a degree. I think its more simple than that ... I think kids with great talent ... talent that can move them to the next level ... have their minds made up all the way through 1-12 grade. Meaning ... we all grow up loving a team and stick with them for the most part. I hear kids all the time say ... I want to play for Florida one day ... I want to play at Kentucky. Of course .... they might not be good enough to turn the heads of that certain program ... but they are looking for a winner. I have to give BIGGREENARMS the nod on this one ... I dont think any great athlete ... that has busted his butt all the way through youth football, JV ... Varsity .. and then has a choice to make which college he wants to go to .... and then picks a program with a 1-11 record. I just dont see it .... sorry

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »