Author Topic: Now we are being called annoying little gnats  (Read 2514 times)

Offline W0lfman

Now we are being called annoying little gnats
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:55:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It could happen. The Pirates can’t take Marshall or Tulane lightly.

Marshall is an insane place for opposing players. The Thunder Herd’s fans are nuts. They have plenty of history.

I have witnessed several Marshall games in the past when it was part of the Mid-American Conference. The Thundering Herd had constant championship battles with my alma mater, the University of Toledo.

I covered four Marshall-Toledo matchups while being Sports Editor for the Toledo student newspaper, The Independent Collegian.

Two of those games, quite possibly, were the greatest games I ever saw.

Marshall had Byron Leftwich as quarterback, while the Rockets were led by running back Chester Taylor. Both games were high-scoring affairs. Both were conference championship games.

Toledo won the game at the Glass Bowl, while Leftwich and Marshall won the following year in Huntington, W.Va.

The MAC championship game at Marshall was an unbelievable experience. Prior to the game, we would walk about the campus and see the big statue of John Marshall, as well as the fountain symbolizing the lives lost in the plane crash in 1970.

During the game, it was freezing, but still walking along the sidelines seeing the Marshall fans taunting the other players, tossing snow ball onto the field and being complete punks.
    But they still showed passion for their Thundering Herd.

It is going to be a tough place to play for East Carolina.

The Thundering Herd is entering Saturday’s game with nothing to play for and really nothing to lose, while the Pirates have everything to play for. Marshall is in a position to play spoiler. It can utilize every play in the playbook.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see numerous fake punts, a quadruple flee flicker or the infamous hook-and-ladder play on just a regular 2nd-and-8 play.

The Pirates better bring their A-game on Saturday and take the cliché — one game at a time — to heart.

http://www.newbernsj.com/sports/game_37459___article.html/marshall_play.html

HerdFans.com

Now we are being called annoying little gnats
    « on: November 08, 2007, 09:55:05 PM »

Offline TomorrowHERD

Re: Now we are being called annoying little gnats
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:03:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When I first read the title, I thought Marcum was taking another shot at us.
     ???

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:08:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Toledo student paper is a joke. They wrote a pretty nasty article about Byron one year.

Offline MUTeke

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:18:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    It can utilize every play in the playbook.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see numerous fake punts, a quadruple flee flicker or the infamous hook-and-ladder play on just a regular 2nd-and-8 play.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:22:07 AM by MUTeke »

Offline Thunders

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:30:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We will run the same old Kueck crap offense as we always do. There won't be any surprises thrown out there like their should be once in a while. They would screw it up anyway.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Max

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds like he had an Amstutz moment there talking about all of the fake punts and flea-flickers. 

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:18:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It could happen. The Pirates can’t take Marshall or Tulane lightly.

Marshall is an insane place for opposing players. The Thunder Herd’s fans are nuts. They have plenty of history.

I have witnessed several Marshall games in the past when it was part of the Mid-American Conference. The Thundering Herd had constant championship battles with my alma mater, the University of Toledo.

I covered four Marshall-Toledo matchups while being Sports Editor for the Toledo student newspaper, The Independent Collegian.

Two of those games, quite possibly, were the greatest games I ever saw.

Marshall had Byron Leftwich as quarterback, while the Rockets were led by running back Chester Taylor. Both games were high-scoring affairs. Both were conference championship games.

Toledo won the game at the Glass Bowl, while Leftwich and Marshall won the following year in Huntington, W.Va.

The MAC championship game at Marshall was an unbelievable experience. Prior to the game, we would walk about the campus and see the big statue of John Marshall, as well as the fountain symbolizing the lives lost in the plane crash in 1970.

During the game, it was freezing, but still walking along the sidelines seeing the Marshall fans taunting the other players, tossing snow ball onto the field and being complete punks.
    But they still showed passion for their Thundering Herd.

I know some people don't like Toledo, but I always believed Marshall vs. Toledo was a great rivalry. I really miss this game between the two schools. The hatred between the fans was intense and the games were always great games to watch. I would love to see a series with Toledo renewed. (I know, some of you think **** the MAC.  :)) Even if you don't like them, you have to agree we had some great games against the Rockets. In fact, if a team or two would ever leave for the Big East, I would like to see Toledo in CUSA. Southern Miss, Marshall and Toledo would make for an interesting CUSA East.

GO HERD! GO CUSA! ;D

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:42:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope we play are butts off and win. But, what the fan intensity that guy is reffering to has a lot to do with the rivalry between us and the Amtutz' team. Although our fans are passionate I think for the most part we have a lot of respect for ECU. Although I too liked the MU / Toledo rivalry I had little respect for their coach, team and fans.

Offline cutmeopenibleedgreen

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:03:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kueck's Playbook For ECU

First Down: Screen Pass
    Second Down: Screen Pass
    Third Down: HB Dive
    Fourth Down: Punt

We can't lose with a playbook like that, folks!
    "What day is it, son?" "Game Day." "What day?"  "Game Day!" "Thats Right! Time to play till the whistle blows!"

Offline HerdChemist89

• All American
    « Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

So, I take it Oddball the Asshat moved to NC and got a job for the New Bern newspaper ?

;D

"For years we realized we needed an indoor practice facility," Pastilong said. "Former Gov. Caperton was sympathetic to our needs and enabled us with the financial assistance to carry out this project."
    "We're going to monitor that car more closely," said Pastilong, who previous said the football staff had used the car for errands. "It's going to have a checkout sheet with an odometer reading and the purpose for using it."

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:27:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "The Marshall Thundering Gnats"  Great.....  :-[

Offline goherd50

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We will run the same old Kueck crap offense as we always do. There won't be any surprises thrown out there like their should be once in a while. They would screw it up anyway.

We opened the USM game with "imagination".  How did that work out?

Suprises work a lot better when your offense is successful and the defense is keying on something they are having a hard time stopping. 

We have run several things this year that I haven't seem from a Kueck offense - like the flanker reverse option.  They just haven't been executed particularly well most of the time.

I wonder if we aren't trying to do too many things and doing none well, rather than doing a few things very well.  BTW, that applies to both sides of the ball.  By no means do I think that the O is the biggest problem we have.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »

Offline From Ashes to Glory

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

So, I take it Oddball the Asshat moved to NC and got a job for the New Bern newspaper ?

;D

With Flamy as his number one assistant (and elevator shoe buyer for Oddball).  :D

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Then Snyder can change it. He is the problem. Kueck , under Pruett, had a  high flying offense.

Offline GJD

• Rookie
    « Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then Snyder can change it. He is the problem. Kueck , under Pruett, had a  high flying offense.

Under Pruett, Kueck had a QB who would change into a play that worked at the line instead of the bad play that was sent in

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 03:50:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Under Pruett, Kueck had a QB who would change into a play that worked at the line instead of the bad play that was sent in

I'm guessing that is exactly the difference between  then and now when it comes to the Herd offense. I've been calling for Kuecks head since about 2003. I may be wrong but that's how I see it.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Count me among those who enjoyed the Toledo rivalry.

To be honest, they were one of the few who deserved to be called a rivalry with us during our MAC days.

The "Fat Man" could coach too! The ol' boy had his team ready and well prepared for our games. I loved his style of play. Never knew what to expect from him. I still have a great respect for his coaching ability. He and Bobby P. made for some exciting games, win or lose.

I hope our guys remember these little names and jabs being thrown our way while we are down. We will not always be the laughing stock we are at this time.

When we get back to where we should be, I say we hang Seventy on all those who laughed in our direction.

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 09:48:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Toledo and the Fat Man were always a great game. We had respect for them and they had respect for us. They were always ready to play till the end. I don't miss the MAC but I miss playing The Fat Man. A Toledo fan once told me that a lot of their fans liked Marshall because of the great fans and the good games.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 10:01:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Toledo and the Fat Man were always a great game. We had respect for them and they had respect for us. They were always ready to play till the end. I don't miss the MAC but I miss playing The Fat Man. A Toledo fan once told me that a lot of their fans liked Marshall because of the great fans and the good games.

I enjoyed the intensity of the games but I have little respect for their program.

"Blow, Fat Man, Blow on..."

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the Toledo/MU rivalry was great.  Because of fans like Oddball, they were easy to hate.  That made it fun.  If any Mac team is consistently scheduled it should be the Rockets.  I also happen to know that when it was proposed that MU enter C-USA, then President Angel voted for Toledo over UTEP.

Offline McGuyver

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 12:28:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tuck Foledo!
    (we should schedule them)
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

Offline CJHerdgrad

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 03:19:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then Snyder can change it. He is the problem. Kueck , under Pruett, had a  high flying offense.

It wasn't so high flying after Stan Hill got hurt...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 03:19:20 AM »