Author Topic: Chuck on Kueks dismissal...  (Read 1835 times)

Offline GreenSteve

Chuck on Kueks dismissal...
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:36:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Besides Kueck, defensive line coach Thielen Smith also was fired Sunday by Snyder.

Whether the firings are related to a statement made by Marshall President Stephen Kopp a few weeks ago isn't clear. A month ago, during an interview with the Huntington Herald-Dispatch Kopp gave Snyder a vote of confidence. But when asked about the assistant coaches, Kopp said, "We'll talk about that at the end of the season."

Considering the firings came only one day after Marshall ended the season with a less than satisfying 46-39 win over Alabama-Birmingham, the timing of the dismissals is suspicious. The fact that Kopp was known to criticize Kueck's play-calling while watching games from the Herd sidelines also raises eyebrows.

The curious part about both dismissals is they are difficult to justify.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/MUSports/200711260065
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

HerdFans.com

Chuck on Kueks dismissal...
    « on: November 26, 2007, 11:36:30 AM »

Offline Aaron Perkins

• Practice Squad
    Re: Chuck on Kueks dismissal...
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:53:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW...He stayed a Kueck man until the bitter end.

Interesting article title....and interesting comments almost publically questioning SNyders ability to make a decision.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach K. is a classy guy... He made chicken salad out of chicken sh!t.

Offline catfanatic1979

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Other people need to go as well and I hope the firings have not ended. Hopefully Snyder is just evaluating things further. If not, then Kopp needs to step in.

Offline Thunders

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:02:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I for one think Kueck needed to go. I think it was time for him to move on. Chuck is just probably mad because Kueck was his last inside info guy from Pruett's years and he is hated by all the new guys. I was kind of surprised that Smith got fired. I thought he was doing decent for not having much. Chuck is just bitter because he "knew" Kueck was going to get the Marshall job before Snyder was hired. He was upset from that and he still is so he is just pissed his one last Pruett buddy is gone.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline jstherd

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unfortunately, Kopp is calling the shots and THAT should never happen. I think we have another Gilley on our hands.

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unfortunately, Kopp is calling the shots and THAT should never happen. I think we have another Gilley on our hands.

Beats Kayo calling the shots...hands down.

GS.
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:36:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Facts are hard to argue against.  We, as fans, have been quick to blame Kueck for the Offensive problems of the last 3 years, but don't credit it him for the turn around this year.  I never expected BMorris to have the year he had and us still only win 3 games.  Sometimes change is good, but change just for the sake of change...not always good.  There may be more to the story than we know...but offense wasn't the problem this year.  I would actually rank it 3rd behind defense and special teams.   We have a talented stable of RB's next year and a new QB....I wouldn't be surprised to see an OC that likes to establish the run first.  Be careful what you wish for....

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i know chuck's not popular, and neither is kueck.  looking at the facts, one has to wonder.

also, no comment at all from snyder...not even the normal political correct coach speak?? 

i sure hope that snyder is making the hires/fires on his staff.  if not, we are more disfunctional than i ever imagined and probably in more trouble than i ever thought. 

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bernies turnaround?  It took him 5 years to get the system down.  Yes he played his ass off this year but it took him WAY to long to develop. 

Offline andy4theherd

• Rookie
    « Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Facts are hard to argue against.  We, as fans, have been quick to blame Kueck for the Offensive problems of the last 3 years, but don't credit it him for the turn around this year.  I never expected BMorris to have the year he had and us still only win 3 games.  Sometimes change is good, but change just for the sake of change...not always good.  There may be more to the story than we know...but offense wasn't the problem this year.  I would actually rank it 3rd behind defense and special teams.   We have a talented stable of RB's next year and a new QB....I wouldn't be surprised to see an OC that likes to establish the run first.  Be careful what you wish for....

we scored 31 points in the 1st quarter this year (21 of those came in the last 2 games). how can you say "...but offense wasn't the problem this year". i agree our d was not good, but the offense did nothing to help them out.
    Its time to $hit, or get off the pot...

Online banker

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 03:36:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't looked at the updated stats, but going into the UAB game we were 91st in the country in scoring offense.  I consider that a problem that needed to be fixed.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 03:36:41 PM »

Offline MUAlum2004

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 46th in total offense
    79th in scoring offense
    109th in offensive turnovers

11th out of 12 in CUSA scoring offense, just in front of UAB.

Offense isn't the only problem, defense was just as bad at times.  That said, this has been a continuing problem for several years.

Offline tradebait

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bernie played very well this year.  But, the offense looked stale and out of date.
    Someone had to go, and a lot of fans had complained about Kueck.
    I was surprised to see Theilin Smith get the ax, he had squat to work with on the DL after the injuries and attrition the last few years.
    Superior skill and knowledge win over fear and superstition each and every time.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bernies turnaround?  It took him 5 years to get the system down.  Yes he played his ass off this year but it took him WAY to long to develop. 
    Bernie's problems werent all on him.  until this year he never had a respectable group of recievers to throw to.  made a big difference in his game this year having people to catch the ball.

Offline go1970herd

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 09:58:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Offense isn't the only problem, defense was just as bad at times.  That said, this has been a continuing problem for several years.

The defense had a reason to have a down year, to start with we lose the defensive player of the year before the first game, then at one point this year including McClellen we had 8 defensive starters out of the game at one time.

This offense should have averaged 40 pts a game this year hands down and with no fault to Bernie at all they could not even come close.
    Go Herd and Feel the Thunder

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 11:56:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bernie's problems werent all on him.  until this year he never had a respectable group of recievers to throw to.  made a big difference in his game this year having people to catch the ball.

Am I missing something? Who are these new respectable receivers? Who did we add to the receiving corp other than Passmore?
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline dshoe

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 07:19:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Am I missing something? Who are these new respectable receivers? Who did we add to the receiving corp other than Passmore?

A fully healthy Spann.........a maturing Cody Slate, older more mature recievers beginning to push for playing time (like Wynn and Edmunson) a healthy Lazon........and a real deep threat in Passmore..........

While some of the names haven't changed, the recieving corps was VERY different from 2 and 3 years ago and even quite different from last year.

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 08:03:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Beats Kayo calling the shots...hands down.

Somehow I see Kopp taking a good hard look at the fat man in the bathtub this year....
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Somehow I see Kopp taking a good hard look at the fat man in the bathtub this year....

One can only hope my kelly green friend...one can only hope...

GS.

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A fully healthy Spann.........a maturing Cody Slate, older more mature recievers beginning to push for playing time (like Wynn and Edmunson) a healthy Lazon........and a real deep threat in Passmore..........

While some of the names haven't changed, the recieving corps was VERY different from 2 and 3 years ago and even quite different from last year.

I don't see how you figure this. The team QB completion %, yds/attempt, touchdowns, interceptions, and QB ratings are nearly identical between last year and this year. The biggest difference I see is in the # of passes attempted as the Herd attempted about 130 more passes this year, and the total passing yds went up comparatively resulting in another 1000 yds of offense through the air.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »