Author Topic: Bower fired at Southern Miss  (Read 2899 times)

Offline marcbuff

Bower fired at Southern Miss
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:48:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the carosel starts to move

HerdFans.com

Bower fired at Southern Miss
    « on: November 26, 2007, 12:48:10 PM »

Offline _sturt_

Re: Bower fired at Southern Miss
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:50:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • *eyes popping out of sockets*

Here's a link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128077
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:55:57 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 12:54:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW!!!

Sure didn't see that one coming.

Southern Miss ain't playing around.

IMO......I bet they told Bower he had to fire some of his staff to keep his job and he refused.
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline Thunders

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:56:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unlike Marshall, most colleges will fire coaches if they are given enough time to produce and they do not. Marshall is still stuck in the good ole boy days and will never change unless you get new people with new thinking in to run the administration. Marshall is still run by old money, which like to run things the way they see fit. Just like the entire city of Huntington has been for years and why the city has seen the same fall. It is all the same mentality.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline morpheus

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this is true, then Southern Miss.'s administration is a bunch of idiots.  How many winning season have they had, how many bowl games, this guy was loyal and a good coach.  I have nothing but respect for him.

Offline Herd Shadow

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hmmmmmm......

Jeff Bower is available?

We should give him a job as OC and if things don't pick up next year......make him HC.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
    The Shadow knows!

Offline marshallisqbu

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 01:17:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unlike Marshall, most colleges will fire coaches if they are given enough time to produce and they do not. Marshall is still stuck in the good ole boy days and will never change unless you get new people with new thinking in to run the administration. Marshall is still run by old money, which like to run things the way they see fit. Just like the entire city of Huntington has been for years and why the city has seen the same fall. It is all the same mentality.

This has nothing to do with Marshall.  He has gone to a bowl game in 10 of his 11 years, and won 4 cusa championships.  They went 7-5 I believe this year, and he is fired. 

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Okay, Thunder, let's have ourselves a look at this, shall weeeeeeeeee?

Bower's record in his first 5 seasons at USM?

1991: 4-7
    1992: 7-4
    1993: 2-8-1
    1994: 6-5
    1995: 6-5

Patience-schmatience? Don't talk to you or any of the Noseless about patience, right?

Who of the Noseless would keep a coach with THAT record after 5 seasons... a .454 percentage, appearing to be going nowhere with a program that PRIOR TO HIS ARRIVAL had a 23-12 record over the previous three seasons and 2 bowl appearances (ie, when bowl appearances for a "mid-major" were extremely few)?

Offline scherd

SHR: Bower resigns
    « Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 02:45:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jeff Bower resigned this morning as Southern Miss' coach according to ESPN.  No reason given

Offline scherd

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • According to ESPN Bower resigned

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 02:50:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ted Roof out at Duke and Novak retires for Northern Illinois

Offline banker

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 02:54:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay, Thunder, let's have ourselves a look at this, shall weeeeeeeeee?

Bower's record in his first 5 seasons at USM?

1991: 4-7
    1992: 7-4
    1993: 2-8-1
    1994: 6-5
    1995: 6-5

Patience-schmatience? Don't talk to you or any of the Noseless about patience, right?

Who of the Noseless would keep a coach with THAT record after 5 seasons... a .454 percentage, appearing to be going nowhere with a program that PRIOR TO HIS ARRIVAL had a 23-12 record over the previous three seasons and 2 bowl appearances (ie, when bowl appearances for a "mid-major" were extremely few)?

They were good in the three years before he got there, but what you failed to mention was that the coach before he got there left and went to SMU where he continued to buy players and ended up getting the death penalty.  When he left USM a lot of his highly paid players also left because the checks got cut off.  So while you were correct, you were also misleading in your point.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ted Roof out at Duke and Novak retires for Northern Illinois

Al Borges will end up at Duke. If NIU is smart they'll look at Locksley on Zook's staff at Illinois.

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 02:56:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is a rumor on NCAABBS that Damion Fletcher will transfer.
    The poster formerly known as Blood & Thunder

Offline morpheus

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 02:59:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mississippi newspapers stated that Bower had just sent his assistants out recruiting on Saturday.  They had to be recalled from their areas and were informed of this.  Sounds like the S. Miss. administration trying to do some damage control with the ESPN announcement.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 02:59:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • from what i heard they already have their replacement lined up.

Offline Olen

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They were good in the three years before he got there, but what you failed to mention was that the coach before he got there left and went to SMU where he continued to buy players and ended up getting the death penalty.  When he left USM a lot of his highly paid players also left because the checks got cut off.  So while you were correct, you were also misleading in your point.

That's not true at all.

Curly Hallman left USM for LSU - not SMU.

Also, the NCAA punished SMU with the death penalty in 1986, which was effective for the 1987 season, and SMU later canceled the 1988 on its own.  SMU hired former Packer great, and former Cleveland, Cincy and Green Bay head coach and SMU great Forrest Gregg in an effort to rebuild the program.

Offline banker

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 03:30:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's not true at all.

Curly Hallman left USM for LSU - not SMU.

Also, the NCAA punished SMU with the death penalty in 1986, which was effective for the 1987 season, and SMU later canceled the 1988 on its own.  SMU hired former Packer great, and former Cleveland, Cincy and Green Bay head coach and SMU great Forrest Gregg in an effort to rebuild the program.

I'm going back to Bobby Collins who is the coach, in my opinion, that really put USM on the map as a mid-major power by playing well against the big programs in the south.  Carmody and Hallman benefitted and continued Collins' ways.  Bower came in and made them a respectable program.

Offline Olen

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 03:51:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm going back to Bobby Collins who is the coach, in my opinion, that really put USM on the map as a mid-major power by playing well against the big programs in the south.  Carmody and Hallman benefitted and continued Collins' ways.  Bower came in and made them a respectable program.

Well, I guess you point is a little confusing -- Collins left USM for SMU after the '81 season, and Bower became HC in '91 after Hallman left for LSU. 

With regard to the cheating that Collins engaged in - Bower was his qb coach at SMU through the '86 season.  I have no opinion one way or the other, but the same accusation leveled at Carmody and Hallman could just as easily be leveled at Bower, considering he continued to coach with Collins during those turbulent times at SMU.

Offline banker

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I tend to refrain from the guilt by association angle.  If I didn't I would have to tarnish Snyder with Tressel's highjinks at both Youngstown and Ohio State.

Offline Olen

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 04:53:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I tend to refrain from the guilt by association angle.  If I didn't I would have to tarnish Snyder with Tressel's highjinks at both Youngstown and Ohio State.

Maybe I misunderstood - but isn't that what you asserted (guilt by association) with regard to Carmody and Hallman in continuing Collins' ways, and that Bower later "cleaned" up? 

I do agree that guilt by association is lazy - it unnecessarily tarnishes reputations of those that work with but not participating in the hijinks.   

Offline banker

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I of course have no proof, but my suspicion is that Collins used the boosters at USM the same way he did at SMU.  If so,  would guess that continued on some level after he left.  That's why I said his successors benefitted from it.  The comment that they continued it was misguided and not appropriate.

Bottom line is I think Bower is a good coach and has been wonderful for USM.  He loved the school and was a winner who stayed despite several opportunities over the years to take higher paying jobs.  I argued with their fans last week on why they should keep him and I think they are crazy for pushing for his ouster.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »

Offline Olen

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I of course have no proof, but my suspicion is that Collins used the boosters at USM the same way he did at SMU.  If so,  would guess that continued on some level after he left.  That's why I said his successors benefitted from it.  The comment that they continued it was misguided and not appropriate.

Bottom line is I think Bower is a good coach and has been wonderful for USM.  He loved the school and was a winner who stayed despite several opportunities over the years to take higher paying jobs.  I argued with their fans last week on why they should keep him and I think they are crazy for pushing for his ouster.

There is not a lot of public evidence available - but I suspect that Collins inherited some "interesting" programs when he arrived at SMU.  While the NCAA's investigation focused on Collins and SMU from about '84 forward, my suspicion is that Ron Meyer was involved as well.  The old joke was that Eric Dickerson and Craig James took paycuts when they got their first NFL contracts, respectively.   :)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »