Author Topic: MU Financial Status (Split Thread from Bower topic)  (Read 1721 times)

Offline GreenBison

MU Financial Status (Split Thread from Bower topic)
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:17:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay, Thunder, let's have ourselves a look at this, shall weeeeeeeeee?

Bower's record in his first 5 seasons at USM?

1991: 4-7
    1992: 7-4
    1993: 2-8-1
    1994: 6-5
    1995: 6-5

Patience-schmatience? Don't talk to you or any of the Noseless about patience, right?

Who of the Noseless would keep a coach with THAT record after 5 seasons... a .454 percentage, appearing to be going nowhere with a program that PRIOR TO HIS ARRIVAL had a 23-12 record over the previous three seasons and 2 bowl appearances (ie, when bowl appearances for a "mid-major" were extremely few)?

We went through Parrish, Chaump, Donnan and Pruett with out missing a beat. We don't have the time or the money to be patient. We just need a winner... we've done it before, we can do it again.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 04:14:08 PM by ZackUSAF82 »
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

HerdFans.com

MU Financial Status (Split Thread from Bower topic)
    « on: November 26, 2007, 03:17:32 PM »

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    Re: Bower fired at Southern Miss
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 03:18:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We went through Parrish, Chaump, Donnan and Pruett with out missing a beat. We don't have the time or the money to be patient. We just need a winner... we've done it before, we can do it again.

we don't have the money to be rash in our decisions either.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • we don't have the money to be rash in our decisions either.

See what happens when you don't make it to a few bowl games? We lose money... I guess we just have to keep losing money because we don't have the money to fix the problem so that we can make money.

Sure hope you never own your own business... you wouldn't last 6 months.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • See what happens when you don't make it to a few bowl games? We lose money... I guess we just have to keep losing money because we don't have the money to fix the problem so that we can make money.

Sure hope you never own your own business... you wouldn't last 6 months.

i actually did own my own business, did very sell, sold it off for a nice chunk of change.

we don't have $1m+ it'd take to get rid of mark right now, even when we were winning and going to bowl games we ended up in the red every year.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i actually did own my own business, did very sell, sold it off for a nice chunk of change.

we don't have $1m+ it'd take to get rid of mark right now, even when we were winning and going to bowl games we ended up in the red every year.

We were in the Mac back then and only getting around 30k a season.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were in the Mac back then and only getting around 30k a season.

so, we have money now? is that what HF and HN had to run online drives to get some $ to give the volleyball team rings? we couldn't afford $10k in rings, how were we going to afford $1m+?

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 03:47:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so, we have money now? is that what HF and HN had to run online drives to get some $ to give the volleyball team rings? we couldn't afford $10k in rings, how were we going to afford $1m+?

The same way we got the $10k dollar rings.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The same way we got the $10k dollar rings.

I'll start a thread on earn to get about $1.5m raised, lets see how close we get.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll start a thread on earn to get about $1.5m raised, lets see how close we get.

Here's an analogy for you. Let's say the Marshall family lives in a bad neighborhood. Mr. Marshall desperately wants to get his family out of this terrible neighborhood. Unfortunately in order for the Marshall family to get the money out of their house that they need they are going to have to spend 10k on new siding.

What should Mr. Marshall do?

A. Get the money so he can have his family in a safe neighborhood.

B. Admit defeat and keep his family where they are.

Where there's a will there's a way, unfortunately there's no WILL in our Athletic Department.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's an analogy for you. Let's say the Marshall family lives in a bad neighborhood. Mr. Marshall desperately wants to get his family out of this terrible neighborhood. Unfortunately in order for the Marshall family to get the money out of their house that they need they are going to have to spend 10k on new siding.

What should Mr. Marshall do?

A. Get the money so he can have his family in a safe neighborhood.

B. Admit defeat and keep his family where they are.

Where there's a will there's a way, unfortunately there's no WILL in our Athletic Department.

you're wrong, there's no money in our athletic department. we can have all the vision in the world (which we currently don't), but without the green there's very little you can do.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • you're wrong, there's no money in our athletic department. we can have all the vision in the world (which we currently don't), but without the green there's very little you can do.

So then we just need to bleed to death and smile while doing so?

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So then we just need to bleed to death and smile while doing so?

No we need to get in a position where a decision makes fiscal sense, we're not in that position presently.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »

Offline jstherd

Re: MU Financial Status (Split Thread from Bower topic)
    « Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is being rash about firing a coach who can't win?

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 04:18:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is being rash about firing a coach who can't win?

$

Do we have the money to buyout Snyder? No. Do we have the money to afford a quality replacement? No.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 04:21:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • $

Do we have the money to buyout Snyder? No. Do we have the money to afford a quality replacement? No.

Can we afford to continue in the direction we're going? No!

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can we afford to continue in the direction we're going? No!

yeah, to hell with selling more tickets than we ever have, to hell with our season ticket numbers increasing each year under ms.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish Marshall was able to live in your fairy tale land where money doesn't matter, $1.5m or more to replace our head coach? No problem!

Unfortunately Marshall is forced to live in the real world, where our budget is in the bottom 1/4th of D1, and we can't just make decisions like a Nebraska, Arkansas, etc.

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 04:34:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yeah, to hell with selling more tickets than we ever have, to hell with our season ticket numbers increasing each year under ms.

That has to do with moving to CUSA and the WVU game, so why don't you quit trying to imply that Mark Snyder has anything to do with increasing the season ticket sales.  Your posts wreak of bias.   How do you know Mark Snyder?  Because only a friend could possibly defend him at the rate you do! 

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    « Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 04:35:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That has to do with moving to CUSA and the WVU game, so why don't you quit trying to imply that Mark Snyder has anything to do with increasing the season ticket sales.  Your posts wreak of bias.   How do you know Mark Snyder?  Because only a friend could possibly defend him at the rate you do! 

Where have I defended Mark Snyder? Find me a post where I said he's a great coach. Then, just so you can know you're wrong find the 10 or so where I've said I have serious doubts he can get things turned around.

Offline Olen

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That has to do with moving to CUSA and the WVU game, so why don't you quit trying to imply that Mark Snyder has anything to do with increasing the season ticket sales.  Your posts wreak of bias.   How do you know Mark Snyder?  Because only a friend could possibly defend him at the rate you do!

Prime example of the disconnect of a message board - disagree with someone's position, then you MUST be a sympathizer with the object of the criticism.  'soccer asserts a pragmatic option that is in opposition to the "fire Snyder" crowd, and 'soccer is painted as a sympathizer.  Others have made similar leaps of logic - if one doesn't demand Snyder's head on a pike, then such a person must be perfectly happy with the results of this or any other season.  Neither characterization necessarily follows the assertion.

Offline Thunders

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 05:25:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pains me to see a once proud football program struggle like we are. I remember not that long ago when we were the ESPN darlings and an up and coming national power. I remember them actually calling us an up and coming national power on TV and the newspapers and articles.  Man, that makes me sick to think we are now at a level that is at or below 1AA standards. 

Everyone (including me) always says that all programs go through losing spells from time to time and that is true but most of those programs have the funds, resources and the fanbase to get through it without losing ground and at anytime they can get back to the top. I honestly don't feel like our program can do that because we don't have the donors, fans or leadership in our athletic program to get there and stay there. How someone could screw up what we had going is beyond me. They basically had to do nothing to do that, which is what they did. We had the wrong people running our athletic dept for the best years of Marshall football and now it is taking its toll. Sad to say and sorry for being negative but it just sucks when you hear we don't have the money to make our program better all the time.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline MU Mike

• All American
    • Member Since 07/2010
    « Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 05:31:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Tim, your post also wreaks of biasor hate.  Under Snyders tenure attendance has raised every year.  Not only tickets sold, but butts in the seats.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 05:31:50 PM »

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 05:46:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yeah, to hell with selling more tickets than we ever have, to hell with our season ticket numbers increasing each year under ms.

Having butts in seats doesn't win championships. Sorry, but I'd rather have a winner with 10K in the stands than a loser with 27k in the stands ANYDAY!

You sound like you're content with where we are at? Just like the fans of those schools that were in the MAC. Content with being mediocre.

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 06:35:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tim, your post also wreaks of biasor hate.  Under Snyders tenure attendance has raised every year.  Not only tickets sold, but butts in the seats.

Spoken like a true defender of Snyder.  Maybe I should just call people stupid whom I disagree with,  like someone else who posts on HNation ::)  Nah...even I am above that.  That was probably a low blow....as I have only seen that once.  When are you going to leave a fellow EB grad alone and let me wallow in my misery without busting my balls?  Here, I thought we were tighter than that.  Long live the Bank.

As far as the attendance. once again, it has to do with a change of conference and getting WVU on the schedule.  Our season tickets have increased every year since I moved back from NC!  I have about as much to do with it as Snyder  :P

Soccer usually takes the side against Snyder bashers, maybe that doesn't make him a supporter, but it definitely doesn't put him on my side of the fence.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 06:51:08 PM by MUtim »

Offline Flat Tire

• All American
    « Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tim, your post also wreaks of biasor hate.  Under Snyders tenure attendance has raised every year.  Not only tickets sold, but butts in the seats.

First of all, I don't hate Snyder and I will give him one more year to have a winning season or he should be fired.

I am sure a couple of casual fans from Lawrence county might have bought season tickets because of Mark's hire. But if you don't think the uspm game was the major factor in the jump of season tickets sales. let me sale you a Yugo!   ::)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »