Author Topic: Will Bower land on his feet?  (Read 790 times)

Offline _sturt_

Will Bower land on his feet?
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:39:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unless there's something ugly that we don't yet know about, I'd think Bower would be a serious candidate at a school like maybe Arkansas... wouldntcha think??

HerdFans.com

Will Bower land on his feet?
    « on: November 26, 2007, 04:39:53 PM »

Offline Olen

Re: Will Bower land on his feet?
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unless there's something ugly that we don't yet know about, I'd think Bower would be a serious candidate at a school like maybe Arkansas... wouldntcha think??

IIRC, Tommy Tuberville is an Arkansas native (if not graduate) -- with Saban likely to be crowned Governor and King in Alabammer real soon, Tuberville's job at All-barn gets a little tougher.  I think the first decent opportunity for Tuberville and he will be out of Alabammer.

If Bower doesn't get reassigned to within the USM AD, I would expect that he would pop up in a couple of places.  Georgia Tech might be the most realistic of the BCS jobs that are becoming available - I'm pretty sure that Bower is from the state of Georgia.  However, I expect GT to take a run at O'Leary among others.

Offline herdman

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No he wouldn't be a candidate for Arkansas. Not at all. 
    How do you explain to a fan base at Arkansas or Georgia Tech you just hired a guy that was forced out at a CUSA school. You don't. 
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:32:22 PM by herdman »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:45:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071126/NEWS01/71126031

'A mutual decision,’ Giannini says

In a somber news conference at Southern Miss’ M-Club Room this afternoon, Southern Miss athletic director Richard Giannini said he and head football coach Jeff Bower “mutually decided” that Bower would resign earlier today.

Bower, who has coached Southern Miss’ football team for 17 seasons, said it was “time to move on.”

Bower was flanked by his wife, Debbie, and daughter, Stephanie, who wiped away tears as her father spoke.

Bower will coach the Papajohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., Dec. 22.

Giannini said a national search for a new coach will start immediately.

He said “all financial arrangements” with Bower will be honored. He said $275,000 will be paid to Bower within 60 days and another $125,000 over a two-year period.

“I was disappointed, people have been disappointed, in our season,” Giannini said.

Southern Miss finished the regular season with a 7-5 record, marking its 14th straight winning season.

Giannini said he would encourage “whoever the new coach is to keep some assistant coaches for continuity purposes.”

He also said he was disappointed in the fan base; that he had heard “a lot of negativity, a lot of apathy.”

Bower, who declined to take questions, said “there’s a lot of fight left in Jeff Bower. I am not done yet.”

Post a Comment   View All Comments 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Can't help but think that this wasn't a "mutual decision" . . . it appears to be an athletic director thinking he is bigger than he really is . . . if this was a "mutual decision" then why was the press conference somber . . . should have been up beat . . . Coach Bower runs a clean program and a program on the up and up . . . he does things the right way . . . maybe the AD should be the one resigning . . . .

Posted by: lawdawg on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:40 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still so confused why this has happened.
    with gripes heard from others about the record of the eagles, and it being "about time" and i disagree 100%.
    I think Guillini has gotten ahead of himself. Someone in his position should appreciate the legacy and honor and pride Bower brought to Southern. there comes a time when winning isnt the goal. being a team is. this is not bowers fault.... he had slacky undevoted players in and out of jail, clearly not concerned about winning.

Sorry Coach- they messed up big, and you are right on....there is PLENTY of jeff bower left.

Posted by: spierce82 on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:24 pm

The Athletic Director needed to go, not the coach. He obviously has no clue what he's doing. A PR nightmare has been born for USM and he is the father and mother of it.

Posted by: deltagirl on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:21 pm

I can't help but have an empty feeling knowing that Jeff Bower will not be the head coach and USM. From my personal experiences with Jeff, I do not think that USM will find the caliber of coach that Jeff has been, nor do I think that any coach will EVER spend 17 years of their life devoted to a program, especially the program at USM and be a part of the community that Jeff Bower has!

I do think some changes were necessary, but I sure dont think this is the solution!

Posted by: Bower Fan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:01 pm

Offline Olen

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IF the rumors play out with GT and Ole Miss (the two schools that are low enough on the BCS rung that might be interested in Bower), it wouldn't surprise me to see Bower show up as an OC or QB coach with either Holtz (GT) or Nutt (Ole Miss).   Of course, if Holtz boltz (heh) for GT, then Bower could be a candidate for the ECU job. 

Wild wacky year in football - why should the coaching carousel be any different?   :)

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • USM move makes no sense to me... regardless of their expectations for this season just past, there's just too much right about that program to throw in the cards and ask for a whole new hand.

Offline HerdinKY

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:09:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Bower ends up at ECU I believe I would have to attend the USM-ECU game next year.
    When "Thunderstruck" starts its too late!

Offline CJHerdgrad

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm baffled at his firing...I think USM made a mistake.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »