Author Topic: H-D: Can Herd fan root for WVU?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
H-D: Can Herd fan root for WVU?
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:16:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    CHUCK LANDON
    The Herald-Dispatch

It started as a light-hearted whim.

Then, it turned into an informal poll.

Finally, it became an unscientific sociology experiment.

The findings?

It's downright amazing that one seemingly innocuous "what's on your mind?" entry on Facebook could generate so much angst, so much passion and so much incredulity.

But that's what happened.

It all started during a mischievous moment on Tuesday when I posted: "I have thought long and hard about this, but I just can't bring myself to root for Duke under any circumstances ... I am pulling for the Mountaineers."

That post set off the biggest furor this side of the Der Fuhrer/Donnie Jones video that priggish UCF fans aren't finding the least bit humorous.

Link: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x578671038/Can-Herd-fan-root-for-WVU
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

H-D: Can Herd fan root for WVU?
    « on: April 03, 2010, 07:16:15 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: H-D: Can Herd fan root for WVU?
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:40:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • not this Herd fan.....when we get a one for one and the Legislature comes around maybe

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:07:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a chance!

Offline Buffalo Chip

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GO DUKE!

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This one sure can - Lets GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Mountaineers.
    Any West Virginia team against any out of state team, its called STATE PRIDE!

Online lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry Buff not this Herd fan.  I am a UK fan also with ties to UK in addition to my love of Marshall.   I can't root for WVU.   They are the lesser of the two evils. 

Plus how can anyone root for a school where a newspaper article about fan behavior has to be published.  Sad for their fanbase if you ask me.

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marc where was the state pride when I got spit on and had beer bottles thrown at me in the hole? Some of you just don't understand... I'm not even that old or wise, but I just get it...

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:28:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lex, I am a WVU grad as well so I support both schools. I cannot condone the minority of fans who do not show respect to visitors but I do applaud the 99% who are good fans. I think the new administration is taking steps to change the atmosphere. I was only 9 when Jerry west and the guys lost to Cal 71-70 in 1959. I watched it with mother and we both cried all night after that loss. I want to watch WVU win it all so I can have that memory along with my MU football ones from 1992 and 1996.

Offline MU42

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:45:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No

Offline luvherd

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lex, I am a WVU grad as well so I support both schools. I cannot condone the minority of fans who do not show respect to visitors but I do applaud the 99% who are good fans. I think the new administration is taking steps to change the atmosphere. I was only 9 when Jerry west and the guys lost to Cal 71-70 in 1959. I watched it with mother and we both cried all night after that loss. I want to watch WVU win it all so I can have that memory along with my MU football ones from 1992 and 1996.

99% - what r u smoking - maybe 60% are ok - maybe. Wear a Herd jersey next game up there and get back to me. PS I was hit by a can of beer also and cussed out by a teenager. That is not state pride. Why did VT, Maryland and Penn State say enough is enough? That 1% must be pretty bad.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Born & raised in Huntington, WV, went to Marshall.  Currently live out of the Tri-State area, but lived in all 3 states of the area and always considered myself a West Virginian.  Will be rooting for WVU to beat Duke.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You ever been to a sporting event between MU and the who in morganhole wearing a green a shirt, Quick?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:18:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You ever been to a sporting event between MU and the who in morganhole wearing a green a shirt, Quick?

I haven't.  Wife said she never would again.  Know all about what you are saying.  WVU vs Duke in B-ball?  WVU for me.

Offline luvherd

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't.  Wife said she never would again.  Know all about what you are saying.  WVU vs Duke in B-ball?  WVU for me.

So you and your wife saw it also. I don't understand how 1% can cause all this problem. They must be really quick to get around like that.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GO BUTLER or Michigan State!!
    Whoever wins this game, I hope the win the whole dam thing!!!
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will NEVER root for the 'Eerdiots.  Never.

Tonight, I am the world's biggest Duke fan!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Slice11

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm rooting for the roof to collapse at tipoff

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't.  Wife said she never would again.  Know all about what you are saying.  WVU vs Duke in B-ball?  WVU for me.
    Our next trip up there get with me and lets take a walk through their tailgate lots wearing a Herd shirt.  After the treatment you receive from those fools I'm pretty confident you will never, ever support anything to do with that bunch again.

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our next trip up there get with me and lets take a walk through their tailgate lots wearing a Herd shirt.  After the treatment you receive from those fools I'm pretty confident you will never, ever support anything to do with that bunch again.
    +1,000  Go Herd or go home!

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GO BUTLER or Michigan State!!
    Whoever wins this game, I hope the win the whole dam thing!!!

If it was WVU vs Michigan St. I would root for WVU.  If it's WVU vs Butler, then I'd root for Butler.  Although I'm a West Virginian, I'm more a Marshall fan and a fan of a cinderella team like Butler winning the NCAA tourney.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our next trip up there get with me and lets take a walk through their tailgate lots wearing a Herd shirt.  After the treatment you receive from those fools I'm pretty confident you will never, ever support anything to do with that bunch again.

Please don't confuse state pride in the NCAA tourney with support for WVU.  The question "Can Herd fan root for WVU?" was ask and I answered yes.  Surely you guys ain't going to call out the people who say yes.  Know the history and haven't personally been to Morgantown, but been to alot of tailgate lot's were a Marshall shirt got me razzed pretty good.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You could root for them before the stupid Coal Bowl divided the state. 
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »

Offline Thunders

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Goooo Duuukke!!!    I will never root for WVU.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline luvherd

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You could root for them before the stupid Coal Bowl divided the state. 
    or you had to work around them.  Wore their crap some in HS. I had no problem with them being for their team but to listen to them belittle us when I worked with them when we were dominate in 1AA, lost it for me. Then at that the first Coal Bowl, I caught hell from strangers and saw the students harass a 80 year old couple trying to walk down the stairs when leaving. They were literally shaking the fence that this couple was using to steady themselves. But as Buff says, they don't think it is a big problem. Just 1% of their fans.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey Wolfman, I will personally take you to the tailgate in the Blue Lot for Vernons Board. Ive taken our MU fans to WVU tailgates at the USF games too. Hell, I have taken my grill over to Tampa and cooked for the tailgate. I have a Marshall license plate on it and a MU sticker in the window. Sure, there is some good smack talk but we have a good time. I even wore my Leftwich jersey to Beefs ( WVU Party) this year for the WVU-MU football game. Those guys were curious why but they know me and it was fun.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »