Author Topic: Why a Marshall fan should never root for USPAM  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Banshee

Re: Why a Marshall fan should never root for USPAM
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just thank the maker that WVU lost tonight.  I don't normally wish any ill will on them unless the Herd is playing against them, but the blather that we'd all have been subjected to if they had made it to the finals/or won it all would've been more than I believe I could've taken.  It'll be bad enough that they made the final 4, but at least it will be all we'll have to "digest".  Great job Dukies, even though I normally hate 'em.  And now, Go Herd, and go Butler!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »

Offline marshalljeff

• All American
    « Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ::)  Perhaps I should have added anyone not raised in Wayne or Cabell County...

Wayne County is replete with WVU fans.  Except for the Spring Valley/West Huntington area.

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 05:36:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wayne County is replete with WVU fans.  Except for the Spring Valley/West Huntington area.

I dated a girl from Spring Valley...3 years since we dated we've broken up...but glad to hear she STILL hates wvu! As for everyone else...and the "voice of reason" looks like it's not so reasonable since wvu lost and Marshall fans are loving it!

GO DUKE!

oh yes...

GO HERD!

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 06:59:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Never mind.

--------------------------------------------

Go Herd! Go Butler!
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:48:31 AM by MarshallGrad »

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 07:04:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They taught me hatred of wvu before they taught me to walk.

That is disturbing. I am assuming you are phrasing your words to make a point, and that it is not intended to be taken literally.

Offline herdgrad04

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If our fans cared as much for Marshall as they hate WVU then we would have a pretty good fan base....
    GO HERD OR GO HOME!!!

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sometimes war makes strange bed fellas, and I am not comparing basketball to war, but tonight I would like to thank the Dookies.  Now go Bulldogs!

TRS
    MU 71

Offline Oh Herd CR

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It does not reflect upon their fanbase as a whole. It only reflects upon the idiot who made the comment -- and his parents.

There are idiots among Marshall fans as well.

Sorry, but you don't live here.  We do.  We have to hear it ALL THE TIME...the negative comments.

After the wvu/MU game in Charleston some big idiot told me "Your team went down like the plane went down."

So there are now TWO stories of it happening.

My best friend saw one of the plane shirts that  was also referred to in this thread.

Yeah, we too have idiots but do we celebrate 75 deaths. Not hardly.
    Well done is better than well said.  - Ben Franklin

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is disturbing. I am assuming you are phrasing your words to make a point, and that it is not intended to be taken literally.

Maybe a little...I could walk.  Now my youngest son knew to hate WVU before he could walk, and all three of my children are proud wvu haters....gotta keep the tradition going.  Don't want any more people who live in Huntington to cheer for them.  I'd be happy to put on "Hating wvu 101" classes for all you the idiots who think that you can root for both team...I have at least 35 years of experience hating them and it gets stronger every day!!!!

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 07:45:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...gotta keep the tradition going.  Don't want any more people who live in Huntington to cheer for them. 

I don't cheer for anyone other than Marshall. As a Marshall fan, I just don't get why the looks or actions of fans of another school would matter so much. To hate something you have care a lot about it about it or fear it.

Offline FLORIDA HERD FAN

• Heisman
    « Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 08:30:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now, I'm not entitled to my opinion because I no longer live in Huntington?

A lot of Herd fans live outside of the Huntington area -- perhaps the majority. Many of those who live outside of the Huntington area are like me, with deep Huntington roots and family in the area, who visit Huntington frequently and attend as many Marshall home and away games as possible. When we can't attend games, Herd fans in Tampa Bay and elsewhere gather together at local sports bars to watch every televised game.

I grew up in Huntington, within walking distance of the Memorial Field House. I would sneak into the Field House after halftime to watch Leo Byrd, Hal Greer and Charlie Slack. I saw the epic battle between Leo Byrd and Oscar Robertson.

When I was old enough to drive, I attended as many games at Fairfield Stadium as I could afford. I would catch every away game that was broadcast on the radio. And, I would follow WVU football and basketball as much as I could. I have a vivid memory of listening to the 1959 WVU-California NCAA basketball championship game on the floor in my room, and was heartbroken when the Jerry West-led Mountaineers came up one point short.

In September 1968, I chose to come home, directly from Vietnam, and complete my college education at Marshall.

If we keep disowning Herd fans, including those who also root for WVU and those who live outside of the Huntington area, there won't be many supposed "true" Herd fans left. And, too many of those left will likely be intolerant and consummed with hatred.

I can only hope that Herd fans won't live up to the ignorant hillbilly stereotype.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There aren't any Herd fans that would root for wvu.  There are bandwagon riders, who jump to whoever is sucessful...but no real Marshall fan would root for them.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . I have a vivid memory of listening to the 1959 WVU-California NCAA basketball championship game on the floor in my room, and was heartbroken when the Jerry West-led Mountaineers came up one point short.

[/quote

I remember watching that game in Huntington on TV (WCHS out of Charleston). It wasn't very good TV reception, but that was a different era.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:47:56 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you're a true Herd fan as Mafia said, you wouldn't cheer for wvu...ever! The cop out many "fans" take is they attend Marshall...cheer for Marshall first...maybe even when we play wvu....or not...in either case...they cheer for Marshall. Marshall's been on a major decline lately and wvu has had some glory. They cheer for wvu because, "its good for the state." They only seem to cheer when wvu does well too. It's a serious flaw in the true life of a fan...who should just stick to their school no matter what. In this case, they're bandwagon fans because if Marshall wins, they cheer because they go here, if wvu wins, they cheer because "its the state school and you want to see the state succeed."
    This is where stupidity runs rampant.
    First off, by cheering for those idiots you're promoting their fansbase and behavior and actively supporting a group who make the entire state look bad.
    Plus, rooting for them contributes to their success which kills any sort of chance we have of leveling the playing field because they'll take the glory and give none to us.

If Marshall and wvu were two opposing nations and their fans were armies...you'd be shot at this point for treason.

Offline FLORIDA HERD FAN

• Heisman
    « Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 04:37:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The growing intolerance and animice of Marshall fans toward many of their own is evident. Hate-spewing and vitriolic Herd fans puttinng their ignorance on full display does not serve Marshall well, IMHO.

There was a time when Marshall had a much classier fan base.

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The growing intolerance and animice of Marshall fans toward many of their own is evident. Hate-spewing and vitriolic Herd fans puttinng their ignorance on full display does not serve Marshall well, IMHO.

There was a time when Marshall had a much classier fan base.

There was also a time when you could buy gas for less than $1.50 but we likely won't be seeing that anytime soon...will we?
    Marshall still has, and always will, have a classier fan base than wvu. It's an insult to us if you cheer for wvu...for ANY reason.

Offline HerdKixButt

• All American
    « Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We shouldn't be giving fellow herd fans grief for rooting for wvu. We just should realize some people are going to do it just as some of their fans hope we do well when we aren't playing each other. Just because some of us like to see them lose doesn't make us better fans. I can't have two or more teams no matter what sport it is but that's just me and some people are different. I think if you don't live in the state and don't see and hear their fans as much, it could affect how people perceive them as well.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 07:55:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Valiant effort, but it falls on deaf ears. It is a very small clique.

Offline backontrack

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A Herd fan would never cheer the fact that Butler tore his ACL...do you think that would be the case if the situation was reversed???...

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree.  Hating USPAM is one thing, but wishing injury on a young kid regardless of who he plays for is inhumane.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree.  Hating USPAM is one thing, but wishing injury on a young kid regardless of who he plays for is inhumane.

TRS
    MU 71

I was accused in another thread of this, I want to make it clear (not to you TRS I'm just using your quote), I would never and have never wished for or cheered for an injury to ANY player in any sport.  I hate USP@M, but don't wish bodily harm on anyone!  EVER!

Offline MrsThundermonkey

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 12:24:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay, I can't stand some of Wvu's fans, but my brother graduated from there and my parents live there.  They support both teams and are not like the fan you heard.   I don't think it's fair to stereotype all of the WVU fans because a few are ignorant arse's with an education level of a 2 yr old

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 12:24:14 PM »

Offline guru shudu moonday

• All American
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i used to cheer for both schools until the 2000's rolled around and wpu  finally started winning more than they lost and got the big head and started being so disrespectful to their opponents. thanks to their arrogance, i can't see myself ever rooting for them again.
    If your so damn smart, why ain't you rich?

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am responding to backontrack, Mafia.  I didn't know who he was referring to and I know yourself and 99.9% of the Herd fans would never wish that on a kid.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LMAO It amazes me that Herd Fans who claim to be such good fans and never show negativity toward others would question the loyalty of Florida Herd Fan. To add to his stated resume of Herd association, this man not only graduated from MU but at one time taught there. He was for many years the coordinator of the Tampa Bay Alumni Group with duties such as setting up alumni functions, sending out his newsletters and organizing bus trips to Herd Games. He also set up the TV watching parties for years ( when we were actually on TV a lot) where his fund raising projects raised more money for the Big Green than any other alumni group for years running.

However, it seems because he does not share a childish hatred for WVU,some think he should be shot for treason  ::) .

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »