Author Topic: You are either with us or with them!!!!!!  (Read 6426 times)

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: You are either with us or with them!!!!!!
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so let me get this straight...what was your reaction when you got up one morning and saw that they had scheduled a nice series with another CUSA school with four or five of the 7 in our series done and talk already everywhere about what if any the next series with them would be?

How do you get around airplane T-shirts, thrown quarters and garbage cans and head coaches
    talkin about that little pocket next to Ashland when he's playing in the NCAA turny.......how cool
    is it for ESPN to call down your student body for bad language on TV.....about ten yrs ago
    they were getting 200 mil to our 60 from state taxpayers but you think that is Ok right? What
    exactly do they have to do before you quit arguing with townies like me that went to the Field
    House when we 11 yrs old and fell in love.....you will never get it bud

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not challenging the fact that it can be done. I'm just saying true fans of one team don't root for the rival. If you root for both, you probably don't follow either program that closely.

Maybe if we finally beat WVU, we could consider ourselves rivals. Until then, we pretty much are not a big concern to them. Just because WVU considers Marshall an unworthy opponent (born out of the reality of the W/L record) does not make us a rival. How about if we let our winning, instead of whining, put them in their place.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so your're saying that WVU didn't consider themselves rivals of Penn St when they were getting the dog beat out of them for thirty or forty yrs? Maybe if the state gov't wasn't so afraid
    like Bobby knew them to be and treated that little pocket(whose ass would make M-Hole a sunday face) fairly in funding, we would already have beaten them a coupla times......the
    won-loss record is just an excuse for Qu-eer fans like yourself...right up there with your
    stadium is too small(Cincy-UCF) or we don't schedule 1-AA(Chatty as soon as we stepped up)

WE ARE........................................................PROUD OF THAT LITTLE POCKET!

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so your're saying that WVU didn't consider themselves rivals of Penn St when they were getting the dog beat out of them for thirty or forty yrs?

No, I'm saying Penn state didn't consider WVU rivals for those 30-40 years that they were beating the snot out of them. It doesn't matter what WVU thought at the time. They were Penn State patsies. See how it works. When you win, you can call it whatever you want. This is exactly why Doc understands it is only about winning. When we prove we are the equal of WVU football, we can call it whatever we want. Until then, it ain't no rivalry. I know that is an unbearable concpet to some. But think of it as you like.....just as WVU fans tried to do when they were laying down for Penn State.

If WVU comes to experience that they have as much of a chance to lose as they do to win, it just may evolve into a real rivalry.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me guess, you are not a native of WV? I have relatives in Charleston (the city in WV, not the city in SC) who have undergraduate degrees; law school degrees, and medical school degrees from wvu. These graduates of wvu certainly consider The Herd as a "rival". When I visit them in WV, they certainly let me know they won their games against The Herd. When we beat them in basketball in the past, they never wanted to talk about sports when I was visiting them.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:53:29 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Muck the Fountaineers and anybody who roots for them!

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2010, 07:20:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me guess, you are not a native of WV? I have relatives in Charleston (the city in WV, not the city in SC) who have undergraduate degrees; law school degrees, and medical school degrees from wvu. These graduates of wvu certainly consider The Herd as a "rival". When I visit them in WV, they certainly let me know they won their games against The Herd. When we beat them in basketball in the past, they never wanted to talk about sports when I was visiting them.

Correct, I am not a native WV. But I will say I know about any one of a dozen real rivalries in the country. I know what generally makes up a rivalry. Losing consistently diminishes the notion of a rivalry. That is a reality. Having absolutely no national interest makes a rivalry tough to argue. I get why some people like to call it a rivalry.

All I want is that we win when it matters. I don't have to focus on reasons to be angry to distract myself from the reality that WVU owns us. If we get to where we are winning as many as we are losing against WVU, I will gladly join in the rivalry chant. Until then, it really is just sounds like a lot of sour grapes.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, I'm saying Penn state didn't consider WVU rivals for those 30-40 years that they were beating the snot out of them. It doesn't matter what WVU thought at the time. They were Penn State patsies. See how it works. When you win, you can call it whatever you want. This is exactly why Doc understands it is only about winning. When we prove we are the equal of WVU football, we can call it whatever we want. Until then, it ain't no rivalry. I know that is an unbearable concpet to some. But think of it as you like.....just as WVU fans tried to do when they were laying down for Penn State.

If WVU comes to experience that they have as much of a chance to lose as they do to win, it just may evolve into a real rivalry.

Let me guess, you are currently a student at MU or relatively young? I have a neighbor who is a Penn State grad who considers wvu their second biggest rival, after Pitt, while he attended Penn State. But my neighbor may not be the best example for this response to the above post since he played football at Penn State during the late 1970's and early 1980's at Penn State. He is very proud of the fact that in his senior year, he was one of the captains of the Penn State football team. My neighbor is a nuclear engineer at Virginia Power, but I guess you know more about the Penn State" rivals" than a former Penn State player.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:36:51 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me guess, you are currently a student at MU or relatively young? I have a neighbor who is a Penn State grad who considers wvu their second biggest rival, after Pitt, while he attended Penn State. But my neighbor may not be the best example for this response to the above post since he played football at Penn State during the late 1970's and early 1980's at Penn State. He is very proud of the fact that in his senior year, he was one of the captains of the Penn State football team. My neighbor is a nuclear engineer at Virginia Power, but I guess you know more about the Penn State" rivals" than a former Penn State player.

I am 53 years old and long out of Marshall. The term rivalry is used quite casually on this board.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe if we finally beat WVU, we could consider ourselves rivals. Until then, we pretty much are not a big concern to them. Just because WVU considers Marshall an unworthy opponent (born out of the reality of the W/L record) does not make us a rival. How about if we let our winning, instead of whining, put them in their place.

+1 and +2 and 3+ and so on! You said, what I've been saying all along. Plain and simple, we need to start kicking their wvu ass and get national "Respect" outside of our own back yard......

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not one place did I mention rivalry.....in fact, you're the one who brought it up to change
    the subject. We are two 1-A schools in the same state........how about responding to the
    inequities I mentioned above as well as the horrible attention they bring to themselves by
    their uncouth actions in M-Hole and on TV....V Tech and Miami will never play there again
    by choice...the ECU scheduling was cowardly to the nth....they still need a dog W-L or no!

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not one place did I mention rivalry.....in fact, you're the one who brought it up to change
    the subject.

Whoa, cool your jets, BHF. My responses regarding "rivalry" was to 360's reference to it. I did not bring up rivalry, I responded to it and it has maintained in the discussion.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wolf,

At the risk of being banned (a first for me), I strongly suggest some quiet time for this thread and similar ones.

There are quite a few of us LOOOOONG time HERD supporters with both money and time invested in Marshall who visit this board to get updates and share HERD happenings in their areas. I personally think this board is the most informative, best moderated (except for this thread) of any Marshall boards. More info, quicker info, etc.

We clearly understand the ugly truth of more Legislature support for wvhoo and do not agree with it. But we love WV & WV people (not the ugly wvu fans burning couches mentioned frequently) and while we spend our days many miles from the Hills, we will support WV (the State) whenever we can. Some of us have spent a large portion of our time and are long time financial supporters of MARSHALL UNIVERSITY. We go back a long way. Some have undergrad from Marshall and grad degrees from wvu, we support Marshall.

So before you do anything hasty, I urge you and the other moderators to sit back and think about who you ban or get down on...

Maybe ask the voice of reason, Dan Shoemaker before any unilateral decisions.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No where have I said anything about a fan not being able to support both.  If that is what you want to do then by all means do it.  But when I make a comment about having a smaller more fanatical fan base who gives compared to a larger fan base that doesn’t it’s because status quo isn’t working.   We have approximately 2600 Big Green members and I love everyone of them, and I guarantee you they do more for the program than any of the fans that may feel “alienated” from anything in that’s been mentioned in this thread. 

The other so called fans of MU that will be wearing wvu gear on Sept 10th  in the Joan I’d just as well they never come back.  You cannot have two loves and treat them equally I don’t care what you say. 

As for me the line is clearly defined and I stand on the side of the green.   

By the way, you guys need to slip on a green Herd jersey next year and take a walk across the blue lot.  After you do that come back and talk to me.   

HerdFans.com

« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »