Author Topic: Herdsherd  (Read 407 times)

Offline cstolz26

• Earfan
  • Rookie
Herdsherd
« on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the tailgate invite. If me and my lady aren’t working, we will try and be there. Lol on the bet, I'll have to think about that one!
    Why did I start coming here, it's very simple actually. My girlfriend got a big promotion with one of the media outlets in the state and was forced to move down here. She works in both Charleston and Huntington and we live in Scott Depot.
    My neighbor is a big Marshall fan. He moved here 11 years ago from Pittsburgh and started following Marshall soon after. After some good natured ribbing back and forth, toward the end of last season he told me since I was a West Virginia boy and living here now, I should follow both. I never really gave it much thought. I know most Marshall fans think most WVU fans obsess about them, but honestly, I’m 36 and never thought much about them until recently, positive or negative.
    I've actually enjoyed the basketball rivalry the last several years but not the football for a very good reason. 10 years ago when Pruett put that billboard up in Morgantown, a lot of fans like me saw red.
    I didn’t really have that much love for Marshall after that until I met a girl named Tiffany. She was an intern at the station and new Grad of Marshall. I loved her dearly until she died in a car accident in Marion County in 2004. She was a diehard fan and one of your programs greatest cheerleaders to the many, many Mountaineers that worked at the station.
    Back on topic, my neighbor said I should go to a few games with him. I had gone to this website a couple times in the past but never posted. I started following all the websites at that time and with the exception of a VERY few people have had a negative reception. I started posting very lightly and cryptic on this board because you soon realize unless you are a diehard fan, they take your voice away...which they did, which makes it a cowards board in my opinion, but, still a decent place to get info, so I come back and read (I find it funny, I’ve had some BLOODY conversations on the Pitt board, and never been banned there, I guess they have thicker skin). As a football fan, I visit LOTS of boards every week, not just the Marshall ones, and have never been banned once.
    I do stand up for my team and myself when I have to and post some negative things from time to time on the smack board (and on other teams boards, that’s what they are there for, intelligent banter), but, mostly just scan the topics and move on.
    As for me being a fan of both teams, I just don't know. I don't actively root for or against Marshall at this time, but, time will tell. I have met some VERY good and decent people here....Marshall, WVU, Kentucky, Ohio State fans etc, so it's been interesting.
    I guess that kind of sums it up. Thanks again for the invite!

HerdFans.com

Herdsherd
    « on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline W0lfman

Re: Herdsherd
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're not banned stoltz.

Offline HerdsHerd

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Glad to see the response.. I knew you would I just couldn't find it and then checked the Smack Board.  

I won't ask you to cheer for both.. as I can't cheer for wvu but don't outwardly disdain them either.  Huntington isn't a bad place and for the most part it does bleed green and white. Like I said I'd like for you to join us and cheer on the Herd a couple times a year... at least against UCF if no one else...

"I know most Marshall fans think most WVU fans obsess about them, but honestly, I’m 36 and never thought much about them until recently, positive or negative"...

I  actually believe this, but like a lot of MSG boards, for example their Rivals page you will see A LOT of hate coming our way as well as the ignitethiscouch board... I'll say most if it is saved for Pitt but you do see a lot of Herd Hate on there.. granted msg board fans make up a minority of most fans. Keep this in mind when checking out the Herd boards as well.  I actually never saw this disdain except with close friends that were WVU fans. The reason I even started looking at these boards was to get information when we hired Holliday

I'd say If I grew up in Morgantown I never would have given much thought to the Herd either.

One thing you have to keep in mind though is that we are still relatively new to the D1 scene. After dominating DII for a while and then the MAC we do have lofty expectations, realistic or not.  Then we get an incompetent coach, along with a loss of scholarships, and a move to a bigger conference, and a forced upon game against WVU when they are at their peak, and you see where a lot of frustration comes from Herd fans.  Not all of us wanted to play WVU, don't get me wrong, as I am all for the series and truly believe that it is good for the state as it keeps money within our border.  Also keep in mind that many of the people in charge of running our state are WVU grads and when we see them getting so much more than the Herd gets, it seems unfair.  One example is when Gov. Caperton gave money to WVU for an IPF but here we sit without an IPF or Baseball Stadium/Field.  Again though, I'm seeing all of this as a Herd fan.

I'm sorry to hear about your past girlfriend. That's a terrible loss and one I hate to hear about, I can't imagine going through that.   Even though I didn't meet here this is great to hear,  "She was a diehard fan and one of your programs greatest cheerleaders to the many, many Mountaineers that worked at the station."  Love that.  

Anyway the offer will stay open and I hope to see you there.  I'm always up for some debate about the programs.
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:33:45 AM by HerdsHerd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »