Author Topic: The 2010 West Virginia Mountaineers Preview: Marshall  (Read 1450 times)

Offline W0lfman

The 2010 West Virginia Mountaineers Preview: Marshall
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:01:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The 2010 West Virginia Mountaineers Preview: Marshall
     by Chris Humphrey Member Written on June 29, 2010

In early September, the Mountaineers will travel to Cabell County, where they will be met by a green haze coming from the city of Huntington.

As the team buses take Route 60 into Herd territory, the players ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/412991-the-2010-west-virginia-mountaineers-marshall

HerdFans.com

The 2010 West Virginia Mountaineers Preview: Marshall
    « on: June 29, 2010, 10:01:48 PM »

Offline wvmafia

Re: The 2010 West Virginia Mountaineers Preview: Marshall
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think this guy is EXACTLY right about the final score.  I just think he has it backwards.  Herd 31 QU'eers 17!

Go Herd!

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:17:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone's going based upon last season! Good lord haven't we built up our offense enough?

I prefer the quote from another article,

"Like many other teams, the Mountaineers season opener is a game that West Virginia should win easily. However, if they fail to play up to their potential, then they risk an opening day embarrassment, much like the one suffered by Michigan to Appalachian State a few years ago.
    West Virginia’s second game is an in-state matchup on the road with Marshall University. That, too, is a game the Mountaineers ought to win.
    However, Marshall’s first-year head coach is none other than John “Doc” Holliday, who was a West Virginia assistant the year before.
    Holliday, who should be intimately familiar with Coach Stewart’s usual plans of attack, could make things difficult for his former boss. With that unusual dynamic added to the equation, it definitely isn’t a game West Virginia should take for granted."

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Despite the poor leadership of Snyder, the Herd made the college football postseason for the first time since 2004 with a game against the Ohio Bobcats in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl in Detroit. Marshall won the game by a 21-17 score for its first bowl game win since the GMAC Bowl held at the same venue in 2002 against Louisville by the score of 38-15.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I was at the GMAC Bowl win over Louisville that night. Although I am getting older, I still seem to remember that the 2004 GMAC was played in Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, AL, NOT in Detroit's Ford Field. Did I get that wrong?
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Things like that are why I say we know more about our team than Phil Steele let alone CFN or Bleacher Report or whatever..............its OK for argument or entertainment but I don't take them seriously. How many right now know that we have two returning playmakers at OLB and MLB but need to find the next two or three in fall camp.........how many understand how decimated our receivers were by injury last yr? Trust Herd Fans first!

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Despite the poor leadership of Snyder, the Herd made the college football postseason for the first time since 2004 with a game against the Ohio Bobcats in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl in Detroit. Marshall won the game by a 21-17 score for its first bowl game win since the GMAC Bowl held at the same venue in 2002 against Louisville by the score of 38-15.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I was at the GMAC Bowl win over Louisville that night. Although I am getting older, I still seem to remember that the 2004 GMAC was played in Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, AL, NOT in Detroit's Ford Field. Did I get that wrong?
    No you got it right.  The guy must be thinking about the beatdown we put on Cincy.

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The 2004 GMAC Bowl was at Ladd-Peebles, but we weren't in it.

His year is right for our last bowl win (2002) but his location is wrong.

We lost to Cincy in the 2004 Fort Worth Bowl.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Everyone's going based upon last season! Good lord haven't we built up our offense enough?

Until Marshall shows otherwise there is no good reason for outsiders to believe next season will be any different than the last few seasons with Marshall hovering near the lower end or middle of CUSA East teams.  Marshall has finished in last place and next to last place in CUSA East but hasn't finished in first or second place in CUSA East. 

It's going to take Doc's staff more than one spring to turn this team around and get it back to playing for conference championships.  Looking at the team objectively the offense is the weak link with special teams a close second.  What exactly has happened to “build up” the offense other than the hiring of a new staff that has worked with the team for all of spring practice?

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, we have a new QB possibly...we have a new QB coach and new Off Co-ords......and we have three receivers who will allplay a lot every game and maybe start and we had them on the bench most of last yr.....people like Bonner, Walker, L Smith and some linemen who have benefitted from and learned from last yr to this yr...........don't count us out so easily.....you never have any confidence beforehand......did you not think Ward and Booker took it to Ohio?

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, we have a new QB possibly...we have a new QB coach and new Off Co-ords......and we have three receivers who will allplay a lot every game and maybe start and we had them on the bench most of last yr.....people like Bonner, Walker, L Smith and some linemen who have benefitted from and learned from last yr to this yr...........don't count us out so easily.....you never have any confidence beforehand......did you not think Ward and Booker took it to Ohio?

I'll give you the coaches.  Definate up-grade.

As for the rest of the offense, well, I'm encouraged but not impressed.  But give the Doc and the other coaches time and I think we will have a great offfense.  I just don't think the coaches have had the time with the players to make a lot of impact that will be able to be seen on the scoreboard.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:20:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just don't think the coaches have had the time with the players to make a lot of impact that will be able to be seen on the scoreboard.

According to our school president, we won a lot of games under snyder..."just not on the scoreboard".

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is my point about Dobson, Edmonson and Evans not valid........they played a total of 9 games........Evans and Edmonson started game one so if healthy they could have played 26 games......Dobson not used till game 5 or 6..........14-15 starters back, might not these guys be bigger stronger faster smarter.......Korn could be the real deal........bring it on

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:08:33 PM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know I keep harping but even if Willy is not ready I believe the other two guys could be a dynamic combo....Anderso was starting last yr for the first time and came this close to eight wins....I would figure he has matured a little, watched film, has a QB coach, etc......AJ might come in here and there and his wheels might be the diff down late in the season.....I'm optimistic cause

WE REALLY ARE.............................................................MARSHALL!

Online luvherd

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't speak for Korn's physically readiness: however, I would be shocked if his time at Clemson and with Peterson will have his knowledge ready.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 10:51:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is my point about Dobson, Edmonson and Evans not valid........they played a total of 9 games........Evans and Edmonson started game one so if healthy they could have played 26 games......Dobson not used till game 5 or 6..........14-15 starters back, might not these guys be bigger stronger faster smarter.......Korn could be the real deal........bring it on

Inconsistent, dropped passes (see Doc's comments after the Spring Game), and injury prone are also words that could be used to describe the WRs.  Edmonson has had several years to get bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter.  What is Edmonson a 5th year senior?  Hasn't really impressed anyone yet.  As I recall when last season started a lot of fans were anxious to see if he would step up.  Guess we'll see this year.

Not to mention that the passing game depends a lot on the Oline to give the QB time to throw.  And that the Oline is a couple of early season injuries away from a melt down. 

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People seemed to think Ole Miss was deserving of a high #5 ranking...and they flat out blew! Just because they beat a highly overrated Texas Tech in a bowl game the year before...suddenly everyone thought they were legit?
    It may be a bit of an extreme example, but they got so much hype for a mere win. Sure they returned people, but seriously...going from where they were before to #5 preseason?!

To say we beat up the MAC runner up, returning...15 starters is it, new coach, new offense (upgrades on both), experienced defense, high ranking LB, returning safety, plus the wealth of talent COMING IN, oh yeah some QB named Willy Korn too?
    All we get is a lousy mentioning...

Oh well, those writers will say, "I always had a feeling Marshall was going to be good this year but didn't wanna spoil that surprise."

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate to keep begging peoples pardon but Edmonson has impressed.........I already mentioned it but will repeat t just as you are harping on one comment from Doc.......last yrs coaching staff said Edmonson was the man in fall camp so it just makes sense that he cpuld have helped a little....I think what you are trying to say he hasnt been a major impact guy so far...that doesn't mean he wouldn't have helped last yr or won't this yr..I guarantee that he is one of the 4 or 5 best receivers on this team and we didn't have him last yr so that is building up the offense..ditto Dobson playing all yr rather than half......we will see about Troy Evans but he started in the slot last yr so someone thought he was better than Walker who played there all yr...why are those three things hard to understand.......it doesn't really matter whether they are good, medium or great if they are the best you have.....and I still hold that another yr later some of the returning 15 starters will be better for the exp....that also is building up your offense......I quit on this one.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 07:59:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have a couple of wideouts who could make a big impact no one is talking about much, specifically Thompson and Bonner. We are going to be 100% fine at wideout.

Online luvherd

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the O line is good, we are going to score lots of points.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

HerdFans.com

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »