Author Topic: Continuation of FOC Bowl proposal...  (Read 1118 times)

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Assistant Coach
  • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
Continuation of FOC Bowl proposal...
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this would seem to me to be a reasonable proposal:

Played every other year.

Three game agreement. Looked at again after one rotation...might even be willing to do a 6 game rotation, which would be played over 12 years.

Two in Morgantown, one in Huntington.

The first two games act as a 1-1, the third game WVU pays Marshall what they would any other visiting team, which is probably in the neighborhood of $600-750K at the present time.

This will keep WVU from feeling as they have an "unbalanced" trade, and will keep us from being screwed financially.

Both schools get good revenue possilities through advertising and sponsorship as well as television. WVU will draw more fans from MU than they will with UAB or Toledo or someone...and I know they say they are always sold out, but there area empty seat that say otherwise and this is a much more attractive season ticket sales vehicle than say UNLV...and tons more ad revenue.

Marshall benefits from lower travel costs and a travelable game for fans who are willing to go to Morgantown and all that entails. For that matter, WVU gets very attractive travel costs on their away game.

The skip year format allows the talent to significantly change from game to game.  Let's face it, we knew when the deal was signed we were at the low end of a down cycle and that we would not be able to consider competing until three or four years in (I think everyone knew that). It will mean better games.

Why doesn't this make sense? I know WVU has traditionally been enough on the state dole that they didn't need to worry about such things, but the state dole is getting thinner by the minute.

I would think this would be livable and it would probably be the best I think we could do in the interest of our program.

HerdFans.com

Continuation of FOC Bowl proposal...
    « on: July 22, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »

Offline banker

Re: Continuation of FOC Bowl proposal...
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've been advocating the same thing for the last two years.  If they have to have a 2-1 then they should pay us like the extra home game is just like any other "buy" game.  You either pay Marshall $750,000 or you pay UNLV $750,000.  Which is a better purchase for Wvu?  Answer seems pretty obvious.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 06:38:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • $750,000 payout AND 10,000 tickets...Do it up to twice then a 1-1 or walk.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1-1 PERIOD.  WE DO NOT NEED WVU FOR ANY REASON.  There are more than enough teams out there to play and $ will be made.

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't see the urgency to get anything done now.  We still have 2 more years after this year.  I say win all three and walk away.  At that point we'll have a bigger pool of teams willing to schedule a 1-1 with us.
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • home and home --- ONLY!

If you don't think that we are worthy of an even deal with them, you might want to check you fanhood --- maybe go to Wal-Mart and buy yourself a Noel Devine jersey for the game.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Give me 1 million - karmas, but wvu is a complete waste of time.  There are PLENTY of teams to play.  1-1 PERIOD.  THEY DESERVE NOTHING MORE!

Offline jstherd

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:06:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forget any 2 for 1 no matter what the payout is. 1 for 1 or done - PERIOD. Guys that suggest 2 - 1 belittle Marshall.

Offline jn4theHERD

• All American
    • Member Since 09/2012
    « Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:20:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could care less if we ever play them aagain after this contract is up but I would go for a 6-4 only nothing less or walk. Either way this needs to be decided one way or another soon. I say let move on!

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1-1 PERIOD.  WE DO NOT NEED WVU FOR ANY REASON.  There are more than enough teams out there to play and $ will be made.
    Thank god someone understands what standing up for our university means. We do NOT need WVU for anything that matters in achieving our objectives. Doing anyting other than a 1-1 is only in the interest of those that cannot live with themselves without playing WVU.

We do not need them and we reinforce the notion that we somehow do when we continue this nonsense of anything other than 1-1. If we never play WVU we can still be CUSA champs, can still go undefeated, and can still win our way into a BCS bowl. 1-2 with WVU is embarassing to Marshall.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've been adamant about a 1-1 or nothing but in the context of this thread am saying that if we are offered what results in $2.5M ($750k + 10,000 x $50 times 2) for two games, we'd have to consider it.  If they are wanting two extra games before we get to a 1-1, let them make an appropriate offer for them.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The initial idea sounds good...try getting everyone to agree to it.

We have 3 games left. Depending on how we do in those...we win all 3 I guarantee they'll go for a 1:1 deal since we'da beaten them at wvu twice.
    Marshall fans would be satisfied with 1 win...especially in Huntington...but 3 wins would be more than enough to say "F U wvu!"

Marshall would have the final bragging rights to hang upon wvu's head for a REAL long time...and everyone knows wvu has far too much arrogance to handle that...so they'd want to schedule another series but we'd only schedule if it were 1:1. They'd want the series more than we would!

If you ask me, the final game of the series would determine alot. It happens in many rivalries that have final games. Everyone will always want "the last laugh" and wvu would loathe us for having it. They'd be begging for a 1:1 when its all said and done.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The initial idea sounds good...try getting everyone to agree to it.

We have 3 games left. Depending on how we do in those...we win all 3 I guarantee they'll go for a 1:1 deal since we'da beaten them at wvu twice.

WRONG!!!

You simply don't understand the WVU denial mindset.

If we win the next three games pouties will conclude the scoreboard was wrong and they won all three games. Just as they have have had two undefeated seasons and twice won the the national championship.

If we win the next three games we'll never see them again and that's fine.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »