Author Topic: H-D: Do you remember? -- Marshall vs. Delaware, 1996 playoffs  (Read 827 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Marshall University (green jerseys) plays Delaware in a playoff game on Nov. 30, 1996, at Joan C. Edwards Stadium. Marshall won, 59-14. The team would go on to win the I-AA National Championship Game against Montana.

Link: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x743075466/Gallery-Do-you-remember-Marshall-vs-Delaware-1996-playoffs
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

Offline Wulfegang

Re: H-D: Do you remember? -- Marshall vs. Delaware, 1996 playoffs
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:36:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was in the band and remember all of that year. We were unstoppable and probably could have beaten many I-A teams. Looking at that roster and seeing names like Pennington, Kresser, Chapman, Hanson, McCloud, Openlander, Beckett, Starkey, Wade, Toviessi, and Lyon gives me chills. Some of them were only freshman and didn't play but knowing now what they were going to do in the future makes me smile and giggle like a little girl LOL.

Offline tradebait

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was always great to beat Tubby Raymond's a$$.
    Superior skill and knowledge win over fear and superstition each and every time.

Offline svherd

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I rememmber Tubby Raymond the Hens coach, whining about having to play in Huntington. hahahahaha! Delaware, Appy St and Furman were my 1AA equivalent of WVU, UCF and Miami O. Hated them!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline NKY_HerdFan

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I loved the sign someone made that said "you look like Michigan but you play like %^&*"

Online mr_ash_1995

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "The Marshall Invitational II"....taped that game.   
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:50:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love love LOVE the "Cat in the Hat" socks!!  :D

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love love LOVE the "Cat in the Hat" socks!!  :D

I do too, but they aren't very traditional!   ;D

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline morpheus

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember our section started chanting "Blue Hen Stew!!!" at Tubby during warmups and he looked offended that someone would dare to do that.  Loved to beat that guy.

Offline ADub4Heisman

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Without reading the article, I am trying to remember: Was this the game we ran it down their throats because they were dropping so many players in coverage in the secondary. The one game Moss didn't have a receiving TD, only a rushing one on a reverse.
    Go Marshall Herd!!!

Online mr_ash_1995

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Without reading the article, I am trying to remember: Was this the game we ran it down their throats because they were dropping so many players in coverage in the secondary. The one game Moss didn't have a receiving TD, only a rushing one on a reverse.

Not the game...I think your referring to the N. Iowa game.  Also, I believe N. Iowa had an NFL prospect playing CB as well.
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't mind seeing the "cat in the Hat" socks make a return. Very unique and nobody else does it.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:02:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't mind seeing the "cat in the Hat" socks make a return. Very unique and nobody else does it.

Exactly!!!!!
    Have Randy and Doug Chapman hand them out before the game, while talking about tradition and the old Marshall swagger!!!!
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:03:54 AM by TomorrowHERD »

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 02:02:10 AM »