Author Topic: H-D: Luck discusses MU-WVU  (Read 1119 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
H-D: Luck discusses MU-WVU
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:31:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    GRANT TRAYLOR
    The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- West Virginia University athletic director Oliver Luck was all smiles Tuesday at the 21 Club at the Frederick Building as he spoke of the anticipation for the 2012 football season.

That season, WVU's first as a member of the Big 12, gets under way on Sept. 1, 2012 when the Mountaineers host Marshall in the final installment of the Friends of Coal Bowl.

While the series has not been renewed to run annually, Luck said it is likely for the teams to meet again in the future.

"I see us down the road playing Marshall at some point," Luck said. "When that is? Who knows? It could be five years from now. It could be 20 years from now. We have to figure out how we do our non-conference going forward.

Link: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x298197560/Luck-discusses-MU-WVU
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

H-D: Luck discusses MU-WVU
    « on: June 28, 2012, 05:31:10 AM »

Offline korun

Re: H-D: Luck discusses MU-WVU
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:49:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I cant think of a bigger crap hole I would like to put a WVU person than in the 21 Club. Wonder why Hall of fame cafe didn't get the bid for this.

Offline ThunderDent

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It had to have a Morgantown ambiance to it ... Haha!

Jk.

They main thing I get from that article is that, not only WVU, but a lot of bigger teams, will be looking to have higher rated teams to play in the non-conference. Being in this new CUSA will kill our SOS, thereby hurting their opponents-opponents SOS.

Basically, we need to find a way into the Big East. That will help us schedule in the non-conference.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:11:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They will play a FCS school if at all possible...count on it

Online whf

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wanted to be pissed at this article, but couldn't.  The new format makes it risky to play low SOS schedules if you are really a contender. If they are going to be contenders, they can't afford to play us....our fault, not theirs. If they find they can't be contenders, we will play them  again. If we can get annually into the top 50, they will play us again too.  It is now up to us to grow into the opportunity to play them IF they can stay in the top25 tier of teams. I doubt they do that.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • they aren't going to load up the OOC schedule.  NO WAY.  They may book one tough OOC game a year.  You still have to go undefeated or have one loss with a tough schedule.

Luck also pointed to the fact they have 6 top 25 teams in conference, my read, just like the SEC teams have historically done - easy OOC with maybe one tough major conference OOC game.

Bottom line, these teams from the big leages aren't going to want to go on the road that often - they won't book no return games with each other or even 2-1 series.  you will see some 1-1 series as usual - but not a heavy dose.  Home games mean too much.

If Luck is smart - the OOC schedule will be a heavier does of mid majors than it has been in the past.  they don't have the patsy BE schedule anymore.  when they did, it's a little easier to play tougher OOC.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They will play a FCS school if at all possible...count on it

Agreed.  The only way they talk to MU about playing again is if they need SOS help.  It's always been about them and no one else.  The only reason they agreed to play MU in the series was to gain favor with the then governor.  And the governor wanted to increase his support in the southern part of the state.  If the Who's schedule is looked at as weak they will come crawling back but still want it on their terms.  At that point MU should only talk to them if it clearly benefits MU.

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed.  The only way they talk to MU about playing again is if they need SOS help.  It's always been about them and no one else.  The only reason they agreed to play MU in the series was to gain favor with the then governor.  And the governor wanted to increase his support in the southern part of the state.  If the Who's schedule is looked at as weak they will come crawling back but still want it on their terms.  At that point MU should only talk to them if it clearly benefits MU.

I always laugh at these statements.  Do you really believe WVU should do things that aren't "about them and no one else."  If so, should Marshall do the same.

It is conterintuitive to think anyone should be doing anything rather than what they think is best for them.  If Marshall isn't only trying to benefit Marshall we are in trouble.  Same for any other school.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don’t confuse the phase “straight from the horse’s mouth” with "words mouthed by horse face".

What statements like
    "I see us down the road playing Marshall at some point," Luck said.
    While the series has not been renewed to run annually, Luck said it is likely for the teams to meet again in the future.

mean is Ollie knows there are fans of both schools who want to see us play. Ollie knows there are even some WVU fans who want to see us play. These statements are outright lies meant to placate those who want to see both schools play. He just wants to keep supporters of the game quite while sponging ever more money to support their move to the new conference. He has no intension of ever playing us again; the games would already be scheduled if he really intended to play us again.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • once again ol Kelly is takin up for the qu-eers.....I still say their scheduling of nobody FCS teams will continue while they say there is no room for the Coal Bowl. Like 2X said above they may schedule a BCS team OOC but as of now that leaves room for two more. Why not The Herd? If Clemson and F St or any two other teams joins the Big 12 then I will pull in my horns
    ..and thats right , they are Buffalo Horns.

Offline Herd Tattoo

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was un-"Lucky" enough to get to see the news story on TV.  Wolf-Why is there no puke icon to choose from? LOL

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw Ollie and guess family at BP station in Princeton today.  I asked him when he will go green?  He smiled with weeds dangling.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »

Offline LetsDoThis

• Varsity
    • Member Since 09/2011
    « Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even if they do schedule us we'll never get the 1-1 that we want. Be tough for this herd fan to swallow.
    GO HERD!

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • once again ol Kelly is takin up for the qu-eers.....I still say their scheduling of nobody FCS teams will continue while they say there is no room for the Coal Bowl. Like 2X said above they may schedule a BCS team OOC but as of now that leaves room for two more. Why not The Herd? If Clemson and F St or any two other teams joins the Big 12 then I will pull in my horns
    ..and thats right , they are Buffalo Horns.

Lol. No I am pointing out the obvious which some people can't ever seem to grasp. It's actually unbelievable hat we expect others not to look out for themselves first and that we think we aren't looking out for ourselves first.

Can you imagine BB&T stating that if Huntington Banks doesn't watch out BB&T will start only worrying about what is best for BB&T?  Of course not, because it is a freakin ridiculousness premise.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 10:46:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • thanks for your input "herd" "kelly"
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I always laugh at these statements.  Do you really believe WVU should do things that aren't "about them and no one else."  If so, should Marshall do the same.

It is conterintuitive to think anyone should be doing anything rather than what they think is best for them.  If Marshall isn't only trying to benefit Marshall we are in trouble.  Same for any other school.

So by your logic WVU should do what is good for them even if it harms the rest of the state or its citizens?  To me that line of thinking doesn't make sense.  It's a good thing the Edwards family and a lot of people donating to the vision campaign don't think the same way you do.  If they did all that money they donated or are donating to MU would have stayed in their bank account and MU wouldn't have a lot of the facilities and other things it does. 

WVU has been looking out for only WVU for years.  If WVU was half as great of an academic center as some of their alumni and fans think then how do you explain the state of West Virginia's poor economy, poor health, poor leadership, and dependence on the welfare system?  West Virginia would lead the nation in technology, healthcare, business environment, education, and partying.

Online W0lfman

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wvu expects support from the people of WV just because they have West Virginia across their jersey,  But when it is time to give a little something back they screw everyone.  I just wish Marshall people would see through their BS and understand wvu is the biggest obstacle to MU's success and realize how much harm they do to MU when they do that.

Herd Tatoo and sloppy wvu icon is something to think about.   :D

Offline firstate

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 05:22:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Me-thinks that after they end up going 6 and 6 year after year due to the "hard schedule" they'll be begging for an "easy" school to beat, like MU.

Their scheduling philosophy is stupid!!!

There is no way they can go undefeated in the Big 12, let alone the murder's road out of conference schedule in the future,,,,even with their best team!

It is the perfect way to "save face" in getting out of the MU series

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    "I see us down the road playing Marshall at some point," Luck said. "When that is? Who knows? It could be five years from now. It could be 20 years from now. We have to figure out how we do our non-conference going forward.

Wow he thinks he'll be the AD in 20 years?   

I dream of a day much sooner when WVU comes back down to earth, can't find a QB, has a 2-3 losing seasons in a row.  WVU fans turn on Holgerson and then turn on Oliver Luck.

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a joke. This guy is unbelievable. He will still schedule his Coastal Carolinas or Kent State and at ECU at their place. Have to laugh at his arrogance and bs.
    "The Herd #1"

Online 2xBison

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wvu expects support from the people of WV just because they have West Virginia across their jersey,  But when it is time to give a little something back they screw everyone.  I just wish Marshall people would see through their BS and understand wvu is the biggest obstacle to MU's success and realize how much harm they do to MU when they do that.

Herd Tatoo and sloppy wvu icon is something to think about.   :D

exactly especially those MU people that also throw support wvu's way.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »