Author Topic: "Anytime a new recruit comes onto campus, one of the first things they want....  (Read 3185 times)

Offline exanimate

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Heisman
  • Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have asked a 100 times on this board what our tradition is in regards to uniform. I constantly get the tradition of Bama, OSU, etc... thrown in my face. Show me our uniform tradition, because if you look, we have constantly changed.

HerdFans.com

Offline Dunk

• All American
    • HerdFans Contributor
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • korun for President

+1 vote from me

People do not realize how much small changes can snowball into large effects.

We have been targeting the older generations for far too long and they are dying off creating less of a fanbase. If you want to grow you have to target the youth.

My signature shows how great kelly green and black look together  ;D

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nike released a nice Marshall Kelly Green and Black polo this season. That is on my list of shirts to buy.

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm all for getting new uniforms.  To me, it is the helmet that is more recognizable than the actual uniform.  The gold dome of ND, the distinctive helmet that Michigan wears.  Penn State's plain white helmet with the single blue strip going through it.  Alabama's crimson helmet with the players numbers on both sides of the helmet with the single white stripe.  To me, any of these schools could wear pink polka-dot uniforms and you would instantly be able to tell who is playing by the helmet.  

My vote is to leave the helmet as is and change the uniform.  

Offline wvmafia

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have asked a 100 times on this board what our tradition is in regards to uniform. I constantly get the tradition of Bama, OSU, etc... thrown in my face. Show me our uniform tradition, because if you look, we have constantly changed.

The thing about that is that 'Bama and AN oSU have both worn "non-traditional" uni's in the last few years.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline Dunk

• All American
    • HerdFans Contributor
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm all for getting new uniforms.  To me, it is the helmet that is more recognizable than the actual uniform.  The gold dome of ND, the distinctive helmet that Michigan wears.  Penn State's plain white helmet with the single blue strip going through it.  Alabama's crimson helmet with the players numbers on both sides of the helmet with the single white stripe.  To me, any of these schools could wear pink polka-dot uniforms and you would instantly be able to tell who is playing by the helmet.  

My vote is to leave the helmet as is and change the uniform.  

We are NOWHERE close to the traditions of those programs. Why do they need to be brought up?

Also, wearing a blacked out uniform with a white helmet would look quite strange and out of place.

Offline Herdfan2005

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would go with flat black with a kelly green M.  You don't have to go Maryland on everything but just give us an alternate uni for bowl games or rivalry games.  Too bad we cant have Matt Ater as our head equipment manager.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:02:52 PM by Herdfan2005 »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anybody know the business side of this discussion? 

What's are current contract say about this?  Does the contract allow a change?   Do we have to pay for new designs or order / sell a certain dollar amount of merchandise to make this deal happen? 

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really think you can have both....

We should have a traditional uniform scheme and we should alternate in some modern alternate uniforms that benefits recruiting and stimulates new merchandise sales, also....

Offline Herdfan2005

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure I can ask my buddy at Oregon about it.

Offline Slice11

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our away uni's are the cheapest/ugliest in the NCAA.  My highschool's are better...

I agree with Korun, but you all already knew that.

Offline k00laid

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was just asking the Stevens guy what his source was.  Was it:  1) he works on the staff and actually hears recruits say it; 2) he can cite to an article that says it; or 3) he watched the OU tape when they played us, or something like like.

I don't necessarily agree that we have to jump through hoops on the uniform issue.  Do you want to look like Maryland?  How many of you want to see Snyder's helmuts again? 

I do like the idea of an ocassional game jersey change.  The only problem with that is that you have to decide what your "big game" is.  If you do it like OU did and win, then great.  If you bring out the new duds and lay a dud, then you look stupid.

I had/have no issues with the Green helmets.
    Let's Go Herd!

HerdFans.com

Offline Thundering In MD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

The "Tradition" began in 1990 with the current block M.  The funny thing about this debate is that we have constantly been a program that was searching for an identity.  Take a look at all the different helmets we used over the years (and note sometimes we used a couple of different designs in a single season):  http://media.herald-dispatch.com/mucrash/gallery_view.php?id=607130801&i=30

I always hated the Chaump hats.  I was glad when we moved to the block M.  So to "me" the Tradition is the Donnan and Pruett years when winning meant something.  Our Tradition is winning, which I tie in my mind to the Block M.

I think the argument can be made that before 1990, we never had a "Tradition."  I like it and every time I see the Blcok M, I think of Chad, Byron, Randy,et al.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are NOWHERE close to the traditions of those programs. Why do they need to be brought up?

Also, wearing a blacked out uniform with a white helmet would look quite strange and out of place.

I think you missed my point.  I am not saying that Marshall's tradition is on the same level as these schools.  My point was that the helmet is more memorable than the actual uniform.  I want new uniforms as much as anybody.  My compromise to the traditionalist is that if Marshall permanently changes the uniform, then leave the helmet alone.  

As far as wearing a special uniform, like all black that are wore once or twice a year, then I would be okay to paint the helmets a different color for those games.  

Offline Dunk

• All American
    • HerdFans Contributor
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think you missed my point.  I am not saying that Marshall's tradition is on the same level as these schools.  My point was that the helmet is more memorable than the actual uniform.  I want new uniforms as much as anybody.  My compromise to the traditionalist is that if Marshall permanently changes the uniform, then leave the helmet alone.  

As far as wearing a special uniform, like all black that are wore once or twice a year, then I would be okay to paint the helmets a different color for those games.  

I am with you then. Sorry that I misunderstood.

I don't care too much currently about changing our everyday uniforms, but I agree that if we ever did it would be nice to keep the helmet constant.

My main point has always been about an alternate/special uniform for certain games. Something to create excitement.

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm with you guys (especially Maryland) with the helmet. I love our new "M" with the small hidden  "M" with horns on it. Don't mess with the helmet, or if you do, leave the "M" alone, but I see no reason to not have some alternate uniforms.
    « Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:54:59 PM by exanimate »

Offline The Right Stuff

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey Korun I was born and lived my entire life in Huntington. I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but just remember this it was "old" money that kept this program alive after the worse disaster in US sports history.  It was the work of a lot of those old money people that kept the dream of competing alive.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline korun

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are correct, I will someday get old, or die youngish, or get old and die... Like I said earlier, you dont know me and how I respect old or young people. You are assuming that from an HONEST statement, you have now made a judgement about me. If I, as an old person, realize that I am screwing up advancement, in anything that I can control, then I hope im called out on it instead of just screaming "Get off my lawn!". I think the real issue here is none of us ,as an individual, has the ability to change anything. No matter how much money we give. But as a group we can make changes. But here lies the problem... if as a group, we approach the university, all it takes is one old money to stop any plans. So here we are... back at full circle. Like I have said before, every generation has to fix the previous generations screw ups. I honestly believe this is one of them. We have the time to turn it around before we are complaining the same way, but with more wrinkles. No one seen the mess ups that the previous AD was doing till it got to late, now look at it.

Mo Old Money, mo problems....  

you too someday will get old. (At least I hope you do). I hope that those younger than you will be more respectful of you than you seem to be of some of us.

Offline FlyHawk98

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • you too someday will get old. (At least I hope you do). I hope that those younger than you will be more respectful of you than you seem to be of some of us.

I just hope that I am still respectful to the younger generation instead of feeling entitled. No one here is disrespecting the older generation (minus the SSI comment, but Koruns buttons were definitely pushed.) What you and the other "old people" have done for the University is appreciated, but yall need to get with the times.

NO ONE said we should change the uniforms completely. We are just saying we'd like to see an alternate uniform 1-2 times a year. What would be wrong with a 1970 throwback? What would be wrong with a black/kelly green once a season.

The same schools you guys are using as examples for tradition do EXACTLY what we (the "young people") want to do.

PS... I don't give 2 craps about yalls little karma point stuff. I got a total of minus 3 karma points for agreeing with Korun, oh noooo, not the karma points....smh

Offline FlyHawk98

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should move back to Fairfield and only broadcast games on the radio to save tradition.

Offline korun

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey Korun I was born and lived my entire life in Huntington. I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but just remember this it was "old" money that kept this program alive after the worse disaster in US sports history.  It was the work of a lot of those old money people that kept the dream of competing alive.

TRS
    MU 71

I am born and raised in Huntington.... live there now. But you are out of your mind if you think old money did anything above and beyond what it would have done at EVERY other school. Old money is what wanted to drop football all together. And not to be morbid... the old money went down with the plane. A lot of rich people lost their lives that day as well. I dont recall, but I will research this, not to many huge donations coming in for anything after that besides flowers and sympathy cards. We borrowed or was given gear, had to beg for freshman to play... im not sure what you are getting at or i am not understanding your point, but I will disagree with you on Ol money doing anything out of the norm when the plane crashed happened to keep football going.

Offline Thundering In MD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  ;)
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

Offline korun

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So instead of actually have something to say, you decided to post a movie clip... Ok, so for all those who doesnt know the movie, it is about the future, and we have pushed out smart people to none existence because we are so stupid and keep breeding. So pretty much you are saying that if we "young folks" dont listen to the old people, then we are bound to screw ourselves into stupidity. I would have rather you taken your ball and go home. Since we have now changed gears to childish antics, I give you this.  And im done with this thread.

Offline letsgoherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had/have no issues with the Green helmets.

I didn't either.  In fact, I really liked them. I wouldn't mind to see them make a comeback. I would, however, love to see flat black helmets.

Offline wvmafia

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've come to the conclusion that it's not got as much to do with age as it does with closed mindedness, self-righteousness and the ability or inability to "get it".  Some people don't have it and some do.  We need to just move into the 21st Century with our thinking...Hamrick is dragging people kicking and screaming with his work, but it's a tough job.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

HerdFans.com