Author Topic: H-D: Thundering Herd football does a defensive shuffle  (Read 642 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
H-D: Thundering Herd football does a defensive shuffle
« on: July 01, 2012, 08:15:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    ANDREW RAMSPACHER
    The Herald-Dispatch

On April 20, not long after he used his natural instinct to deliver the football hit of the spring on a player two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, Evan McKelvey was all smiles reliving it to a reporter.

"You got to make a move," the Marshall University sophomore said, talking about his head-on encounter with tight end Eric Frohnapfel. "If you're going to try to run straight at me, I'm going to go against you. I'm not going to cut you or anything. I'm going to go at you.

"So I guess he just needs to get a little weight up."

At the time, McKelvey was a free safety in a day-to-day battle with Zach Dunston for first-team reps. While his coverage skills were developing, his physical game was peaking.

Over a month later, the Thundering Herd welcomed a couple of new competitors into its safety circle. Two transfers from Boston College -- Dominick LeGrande and Okechukwu Okoroha -- joined the squad. And they came with a catch. Because of graduation from BC, both had just one year of eligibility remaining -- 2012.

Link: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x298198422/Thundering-Herd-football-does-a-defensive-shuffle
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

H-D: Thundering Herd football does a defensive shuffle
    « on: July 01, 2012, 08:15:13 AM »

Online W0lfman

Re: H-D: Thundering Herd football does a defensive shuffle
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good read. Folks it is July which means we are a month away from practice.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:26:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The D lost 5 starters but Dillon, Hunter, J Samuel, Smith, the other Samuels and the BC duo might offset that and then some. Maybe not, we'll see. I still say the DT's are as good a number of bigs from 275 to over 300 that we've ever had. Not so sure about the ends but there's some possibilities there as well. McElvey's move might make Daniels a DE afterall.

Offline jstherd

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ohio, DE is my biggest concern.  I agree, at DT we are loaded. Maybe, just maybe, Dillon could play DE, his high school position, although I know he has bulked up.. In an article approximately 6 weeks ago, Rippon "suggested" that Dillon could play DE. Personally, I'd hate to see Daniels moved to DE. I'm sure he would be good there, but I believe he is destined for greatness at LB. None-the-less, I think we'll be very good on defense.

I haven't been this excited in years. I'm looking for 8+ wins.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another guy with a super pedigree is Baxter. I'm not sure where he will fit but maybe as the nickel back. He is supposed to have good wheels.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good read. Folks it is July which means we are a month away from practice.

I am so freaking excited I can't stand it.  Can't wait to see how the new talent, including props from last year and JUCOs, look and how the kids who were new last year have built up and matured.  Hoping for a nice last minute surprise in the kicking game.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Online mr_ash_1995

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • how the kids who were new last year have built up and matured.

Still worried about the play of the OL.  However, I'm definitely looking forward to the development of the returning players.
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With 9 scholarship guys who are 3rd, 4th or 5th yr players including 3 returning starters and 4 brought in last yr and all avg 6'4 290 I am done blaming the players.  Lets get er done!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »