Author Topic: HZ: Marshall Opponent Preview - West Virginia  (Read 633 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
HZ: Marshall Opponent Preview - West Virginia
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    HUNTINGTON, W.Va. - In what figures to be its most challenging game of the season, Marshall will open 2012 at in-state rival West Virginia on Sept. 1. Fans of both teams can hope for better weather than at last year's meeting, which saw the Mountaineers win 34-13 in a game called with 14:36 remaining due to never-ending thunderstorms in Morgantown.

Both teams will be coming off bowl victories in Florida. The Mountaineers throttled Clemson, 70-33, in the Discover Orange Bowl, and the Thundering Herd downed FIU, 20-10, in the Beef `O' Brady's Bowl. The two schools will play the "Friends of Coal Bowl" for a seventh consecutive season (the end of the contracted series), and WVU holds an 11-0 advantage in the all-time series.

The Mountaineers look to be every bit as good as they were last season, and sport a No. 8 ranking in the latest edition of the 2012 Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25, composed by ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach. Coach Dana Holgorsen returns for his second season after going 10-3 and winning the Big East Conference's BCS berth after sharing the league title with Cincinnati and Louisville (all 5-2).

Link: http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070212aaa.html
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

HZ: Marshall Opponent Preview - West Virginia
    « on: July 02, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »

Offline Thundering In MD

Re: HZ: Marshall Opponent Preview - West Virginia
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Jack missed an opportunity here to quiet some critics.  I liked the piece up to "With the leadership of Holgorsen..."  From that point on, it is just a fluff piece for WVU.  I hope the rest of the previews give us a little more insight into the opponent and how Marshall matches up.  Based on this piece, "Sliced Bread" loses to the all-mighty eers.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline goherd24

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well done piece. WVU will get throttled due to their extremely unbalanced offense only team, playinh against several teams in their offensive ballpark but also having decent defenaes to go along. WVU yacked up games vs louisville and syracuse, wpuldnt surprise me if they lose to Kansas

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • pitiful piece of shi^ to be done by a supposed Herd writer on the official site......on a neutral site I wouldnt mind it one bit. Big diff in the two and if you dont get that then you dont get much about CFB.

Offline whf

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I liked the article. It was SUPPOSED to be about our opponent; the rest of them will be too.  Truth be told, I am more receptive to WVU in the Big 12 than I was the Big East as I always felt their competition was very similar to ours in that conference. Now they have stepped up, it they win they deserve the recognition.  If they don't it will help us with local fans again. Either way, it is a benefit to MU.  I think we get back some fans now who actually realize they have moved up.  Where I felt we could compete in BE, I don't feel we could compete week in and week out in their new league.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • maybe I'm wrong on this one. Admittedly an extreme guy about the qu-eers and I dont deny it.

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • maybe I'm wrong on this one. Admittedly an extreme guy about the qu-eers and I dont deny it.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Me, too.

Offline whf

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ME too, but mine is lessened by their move truly up.  Now the distance is real, before it was contrived IMHO.

Online mr_ash_1995

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Jack missed an opportunity here to quiet some critics.  I liked the piece up to "With the leadership of Holgorsen..."  From that point on, it is just a fluff piece for WVU.  I hope the rest of the previews give us a little more insight into the opponent and how Marshall matches up.  Based on this piece, "Sliced Bread" loses to the all-mighty eers.

+1
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:01:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's the thing...The article is for Marshall supporters

Write something positive, give us something to read....Bring up Louisville....Maybe talk to a player or two....Give us a strategy....Give us something to talk about....Give us something to think about

Don't write a basic fact article....

Every single Marshall fan knows that they're 11-0 against us (I don't know why bring up the pre-WWI games, but whatever)....We know that this is the last game in the series and we know what the score was last year ....

-----------------
    Jack should take another look at his target audience and understand that a dedicated Marshall fan has different expectations than a general reader of the Charleston Daily Mail....
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:03:27 AM by Johnnyherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:01:51 AM »