Author Topic: WV Metro News: Player To Watch: Chirs Jasperse  (Read 730 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
WV Metro News: Player To Watch: Chirs Jasperse
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Dave Wilson
    Huntington, WV

Center could very well be the most underrated position on the football field by the average fan. It’s not a glorious position and the only time he gets his named mentioned is when the quarterback fumbles the snap. However, the truth is the center is the quarterback of the offensive line and much like The Herd’s actual quarterback it’s center is poised to lead an offensive line that is expected to be much improved in 2012.

Chris Jasperse admits there were two major learning curves he had to adjust to in his first season as a starter. The redshirt freshman was tasked with anchoring the line and had to get used to much more complex defensive schemes and better all around athletes than he faced at the high school level.

“In high school you’ve got a couple teams that have one d-lineman that is going big time, out here you’re playing against the best of the best,” says Jasperse.

There’s no other position on the field where the differences between 18 year-old kids and 22 year-old men can be more evident than along the line. Players that have had four or five years to develop physically can exploit even the most talented linemen coming out of high school. For Jasperse another year of work in the weight room is invaluable but he knows even he leg press a pickup truck, there’s nothing that can replace experience.

Link: http://www.wvmetronews.com/marshall.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=53603
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

WV Metro News: Player To Watch: Chirs Jasperse
    « on: July 03, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: WV Metro News: Player To Watch: Chirs Jasperse
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:39:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • good read...some facts with stats and the players viewpoint on his duties

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really like Jasperse and think if he can stay healthy he can be one of our best ever. Very rare does a kid come in as a freshman or RS freshman and start at center.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

“We want zero sacks. We don’t want any hurries and don’t want anybody on the quarterback,” Jasperse says confidently. 

In 2011, Marshall allowed 27 sacks, which ranked 68th best in the country. The Herd rushed for just a tick over 120 yards per game and it wasn’t until the sixth game of the season Marshall was able to notch it’s first rushing touchdown of the season. Jasperse knows that has to improve in 2012.

“I want to see two running backs rushing for over a hundred yards.”

Good read. He's got a lot of confidence and already talking like a leader. I like it!

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really like Jasperse and think if he can stay healthy he can be one of our best ever. Very rare does a kid come in as a freshman or RS freshman and start at center.

I agree with you.  I think he might end up playing on Sundays.

Offline luvherd

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I met his mom and sis at St Pete Bowl. Good people.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The entire offensive line needs to have a big year.  Better play up front would go a long way to getting the offense back to where it needs to be. 

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That inexperience was telling in our offensive performance last year.  Sounds like this kid will really be something as he matures.  I remember when Legursky came out ... the story was that he was in a pre-draft interview with the Colts and when asked what to call given a certain defensive look, he shocked everyone by asking "what is the safety doing?"  A pro call.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That inexperience was telling in our offensive performance last year.  Sounds like this kid will really be something as he matures.  I remember when Legursky came out ... the story was that he was in a pre-draft interview with the Colts and when asked what to call given a certain defensive look, he shocked everyone by asking "what is the safety doing?"  A pro call.

I'm quite certain that was Steve Sciullo, but point taken. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »