Author Topic: CBS Sports/ UCONN sources: UCONN and Cinncy meeting with catholic 7 may leave BE  (Read 1296 times)

HerdFans.com

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In reality, the CBS report is a repeat of Mark Blaudschun's report...

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4719

It's been my observation that Blaudschun gets it right about 30% of the time where it comes to conference expansion.

Offline herdfan429

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In reality, the CBS report is a repeat of Mark Blaudschun's report...

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4719

It's been my observation that Blaudschun gets it right about 30% of the time where it comes to conference expansion.

Uconn and Cincy will jump ship soon

Offline Huffnagel

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Uconn and Cincy will jump ship soon
    to just about anyplace that will take them!
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline Sam-I-am

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If they would pull out of the BE to join the Bball 7, would their football teams go independent?

Offline redparallax

• Rookie
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If they would pull out of the BE to join the Bball 7, would their football teams go independent?

Or you could actually read the article.

Offline Sam-I-am

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or you could actually read the article.

Doh!   Sorry. I just did a quick scan and thought it was a tweet, not a link.  :-\

Offline HerdBlizz

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a smarta$$

Offline cincyherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Cincy and UCONN stay football only in New BE.  There isn't a good option for them.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Cincy and UCONN stay football only in New BE.  There isn't a good option for them.

I've said it a couple of times here... Catholic 7 would be extremely wise, seems to me, to be talking to Cincy, UConn, AND Temple AND Memphis about joining them... those 11 plus Butler would make a pretty stout league.

Offline iherdya

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've said it a couple of times here... Catholic 7 would be extremely wise, seems to me, to be talking to Cincy, UConn, AND Temple AND Memphis about joining them... those 11 plus Butler would make a pretty stout league.

Butler and St. Louis would likely be the top two that fit with the Catholic 7. Remember, the whole Catholic 7 really gives two craps about football, adding UC, Uconn, Temple, and Memphis you just added 4 "FBS" programs, that was the big divide in the old Big East.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • (a) Butler and St. Louis would likely be the top two that fit with the Catholic 7. Remember, the whole (b) Catholic 7 really gives two craps about football, adding UC, Uconn, Temple, and Memphis you just added 4 "FBS" programs,(c) that was the big divide in the old Big East.

(a) Indeed, St. Louis would be another credible possibility.

(b) No... I'm saying for basketball only. Those schools, and especially Cincy and UConn are in a position right now to have strong influence on how the new BE shakes out, and arguably could work out a very-reasonably-solid situation between football with CUSA defectors and basketball with C7 schools.

(c) If you've read the quotes from the various C7 administrators, you know that their leaving is mainly rooted in the fact that they're outnumbered politically when the CUSA defectors join later this year, and they're persuaded it is to their advantage in the long run to not be having to deal with the flights of fancy that the football schools have... reference that the Tulane addition was what sent so many of them over the edge.

HerdFans.com

Offline iherdya

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • (a) Indeed, St. Louis would be another credible possibility.

(b) No... I'm saying for basketball only. Those schools, and especially Cincy and UConn are in a position right now to have strong influence on how the new BE shakes out, and arguably could work out a very-reasonably-solid situation between football with CUSA defectors and basketball with C7 schools.

(c) If you've read the quotes from the various C7 administrators, you know that their leaving is mainly rooted in the fact that they're outnumbered politically when the CUSA defectors join later this year, and they're persuaded it is to their advantage in the long run to not be having to deal with the flights of fancy that the football schools have... reference that the Tulane addition was what sent so many of them over the edge.

In terms of (b) it's a matter of there's so much more money in football, than basketball, that the C7 would be cautious about bringing in schools that compete in FBS football that would cause, likely, a sizable, difference in athletic department revenues. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn and Cincinnati in for basketball only, UConn more so than Cincinnati.

Offline cincyherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn and Cincinnati in for basketball only, UConn more so than Cincinnati.

Would "basketball only" conference affiliation be a new arrangement in college sports?  That wouldn't be great for the nBE.  Memphis and Temple would be *issed.  (Is Temple joining nBE all sports?)

Offline iherdya

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would "basketball only" conference affiliation be a new arrangement in college sports?  That wouldn't be great for the nBE.  Memphis and Temple would be *issed.  (Is Temple joining nBE all sports?)

Temple is moving in as a full member this summer.

I think schools are willing to sellout for football. They want football in the best conference available, to hell with the other sports, we'll find some desperate conference to take them. The $ in football is just so much.

HerdFans.com