Author Topic: H-D: Contracts mean MU coaches are staying  (Read 4583 times)

Offline phillyherdfan

Re: H-D: Contracts mean MU coaches are staying
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very disappointed.  I expected more out of Hamrick... Especially after his rousing "do more with less speech" when he was hired.  Where he stated:

"We're going to have an athletic program that is transparent.  We're not going to hide anything."

edit - for some reason embedding youtube time stamps doesn't work...  go to 4:44 below.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:50:37 AM by phillyherdfan »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »

Offline NorthernHerdFan'09

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess this explains why it was reported on here that coach just bought a house in the area. He is pretty comfortable he wont be going anywhere for awhile.

It just baffles me why you wouldn't announce this. Especially after the NIT, I mean we all expected big things and thought he was the guy at that point. Probably most would have been happy with it at that point.

I guess time will tell but in the mean time as a fan this stuff is hard to watch and keep supporting.

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • why do I think these extensions were one way recruiting extensions?  sometimes coaches are given 'extensions' that arent really extensions, that is there is no new or more buy out money.  The reason they give them is so they can recruit, so they can tell a kid , 'hey I just got an extension so I will be here 5 more years'  and if they win and do well that is true, and if not, the last 3 yrs are cancelled, no money from MU's part and everybody goes on.  Opposing coaches will say, 'hey doc is struggling, he's only got 2 yrs left, or he is gone'.  They 'extend them for these purposes.  We will see.

Online Thundering In MD

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • why do I think these extensions were one way recruiting extensions?  sometimes coaches are given 'extensions' that arent really extensions, that is there is no new or more buy out money.  The reason they give them is so they can recruit, so they can tell a kid , 'hey I just got an extension so I will be here 5 more years'  and if they win and do well that is true, and if not, the last 3 yrs are cancelled, no money from MU's part and everybody goes on.  Opposing coaches will say, 'hey doc is struggling, he's only got 2 yrs left, or he is gone'.  They 'extend them for these purposes.  We will see.

Your logic doesn't work here, since Hamrick kept the extensions secret.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline jstherd

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • iherdya, get your head out of your arse. Dunk, you can support them all you want, but I will not be renewing my season tickets that I have held for 47 years and my giving to the Big Green, which has been substantial, stops today.

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The article says each have three years left, not that each were given an extension of three more years.  Each were rewarded with one additional year after a post season appearance.  As some have said, after last season when this was done everyone would have been happy, if not ecstatic, to see Herrion's contract extended another year.  It's a matter of perspective.

Holiday was hired in December of 2009 to a 5 year contract through the 2014 football season.  After a bowl win, he was rewarded with a one year extension on that contract that now expires in 3 years, after the 2015 season.

Herrion was hired in April of 2010 to a 5 year contract through the 2014/15 basketball season.  After two 20-win seasons and an NIT berth, he was rewarded with a one year extension on that contract that now expires in 3 years, after the 2015/16 season.

Not sure why Hamrick would not announce these at the time, but maybe that's simply his modus operandi.  He certainly had a lot to gain by announcing Herrion's extension at the time.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:21:01 PM by IM4DHERD »
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only support Herrion is worthy of is help packing!

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure why Hamrick would not announce these at the time, but maybe that's simply his modus operandi. 

BECAUSE HE LIED!!

Seriously, stop taking up for him! 

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well looks like it will be a few years before I go to anymore basketball games. Yall have fun with that. I'm going to spend my time and money driving the 4-5 hours to go watch West Liberty. BTW, I'm not joking. Last week I drove right through Huntington all the way to Wheeling to watch a D2 game over the Marshall game. After spending less money on tickets for much better seats to watch a much better TEAM, then seeing the Marshall score (again) I decided right then and there that I wasn't going back until Herrion was gone.

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BECAUSE HE LIED!!

Seriously, stop taking up for him! 

Didn't take up for him at all. I am scratching my head as to why he didn't announce.  Everything else noted is simply historical perspective and numbers.

Again, not standing up for him, but where did he lie?  Earlier posts by you and whf outline what he said about when to expect improvement and standard time to review, nothing about extensions made as rewards  nor denying having made any extensions.

I think he made a huge mistake by not announcing Herrion's extension when it was done.  I think he would have seen an increase in donations for doing so at the time.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know I don't speak for everyone -- probably even a minority, but I wasn't impressed w/last yr's results.  we were told the entire pre-season we had NCAA at-large talent, only to have to pull out 3 cusa tourn wins to salvage an NIT road game, which we showed up for totally unprepared.

as far as i'm concerned, neither him nor jones ever did anything worthy of an extension, & hamrick gave 'em BOTH 1!

Offline iherdya

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • iherdya, get your head out of your arse. Dunk, you can support them all you want, but I will not be renewing my season tickets that I have held for 47 years and my giving to the Big Green, which has been substantial, stops today.

Good luck to you, but if we struggle next year in football and/or basketball and can't afford to buyout our coaches don't complain, your "substantial" giving could've helped that buyout.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »

Online Thundering In MD

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The article says each have three years left, not that each were given an extension of three more years.  Each were rewarded with one additional year after a post season appearance.  As some have said, after last season when this was done everyone would have been happy, if not ecstatic, to see Herrion's contract extended another year.  It's a matter of perspective.

Holiday was hired in December of 2009 to a 5 year contract through the 2014 football season.  After a bowl win, he was rewarded with a one year extension on that contract that now expires in 3 years, after the 2015 season.

Herrion was hired in April of 2010 to a 5 year contract through the 2014/15 basketball season.  After two 20-win seasons and an NIT berth, he was rewarded with a one year extension on that contract that now expires in 3 years, after the 2015/16 season.

Not sure why Hamrick would not announce these at the time, but maybe that's simply his modus operandi.  He certainly could have gained by announcing Herrion's extension at the time.

Once again you have applied logic and pointed out that it is only a one year extension.  Why do you always have to ruin my rampages with these facts!!! :P
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This kind of stuff is the very reason I haven't been to watch a Herd football game since the end of the 2008 season. I said then I wouldn't be back until they proved to me they were serious about winning games. For any of you attempting to defend this action, you get just exactly what you deserve.......mediocrity at best.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline Penn2moss

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kind of amazed that a 20+ win NIT season isn't worthy of an extension of a whooping 1 year according to most of you.  You act like we are some kind of powerhouse or something.  We have sucked for 25 years.

The 2011 football season was also the best we have had in about 8 years and one of the best in school history.  I know it is the agenda of most on here to down play any success Marshall has, but we beat the Big East champ, the CUSA champ that finished in the top 25, and won a bowl game.

At the time, they were solid moves.  I think Herrion could have even got a larger than 1 year extension.  Quit with all the doomsday crap.

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 11:37:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once again you have applied logic and pointed out that it is only a one year extension.  Why do you always have to ruin my rampages with these facts!!! :P

Sorry

Offline svherd

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Marshall brass continues to treat and think of the MU fan base as a bunch of mind numbed dumb (@/:; who will throw money at them anytime they call. Well, I've got news for them; based on what I am hearing, those in Old Main and the the Schewey better start building some relationships and mending fences with some of the heavy hitters or the funds will start drying up.
    People are tired of being taken for granted and tired of losing. Thats not a good combination when you approach the big boys with your hand out for more cash.

A contract extension wasn't necessary for either coach. Neither had proven themselves long enough to really grab the attention of some schools, especially Doc.

I really wonder how things are run in the Schewey. I know its not a well oiled machine, thats for damn sure.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OK, it's only a one year extension. I was thinking it was more than that. Now, I have to kick that one around in my mind and see what I come up with. ;D

That takes away some of the panic for me.

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thats just what I was about to say, all this uproar over one year?? really?  All of you are on here talking about how valuable your time and money is, but by bickering this much over a one year extension, you are proving otherwise.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kind of amazed that a 20+ win NIT season isn't worthy of an extension of a whooping 1 year according to most of you.  You act like we are some kind of powerhouse or something.  We have sucked for 25 years.

The 2011 football season was also the best we have had in about 8 years and one of the best in school history.  I know it is the agenda of most on here to down play any success Marshall has, but we beat the Big East champ, the CUSA champ that finished in the top 25, and won a bowl game.

At the time, they were solid moves.  I think Herrion could have even got a larger than 1 year extension.  Quit with all the doomsday crap.

What in this world are you smoking to even remotely think that? We friggin had a losing season.

BTW...please pass it over here cause the %^&* must be awesome.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What in this world are you smoking to even remotely think that? We friggin had a losing season.

BTW...please pass it over here cause the %^&* must be awesome.

What are you smoking?

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This kind of stuff is the very reason I haven't been to watch a Herd football game since the end of the 2008 season. I said then I wouldn't be back until they proved to me they were serious about winning games. For any of you attempting to defend this action, you get just exactly what you deserve.......mediocrity at best.

Very reason I won't be back to basketball games. Football I think is on the right track. We're moving a little slower than I had wanted but I think we are improving and our offense is fun to watch.

I can't even think of an analogy bad enough to explain the state of the basketball program and the disgust I have with the lack of effort on the floor. I would still come even with the losses (check football) but its the LACK OF EFFORT that I can't stomach to watch.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »

Offline Slice11

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 01:06:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Got a call yesterday about renewing my BG donation.  Bad timing for this article.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thats just what I was about to say, all this uproar over one year?? really?  All of you are on here talking about how valuable your time and money is, but by bickering this much over a one year extension, you are proving otherwise.

it's not necessarily the yr(s) or the $, it's the principle.  we gave a coach that the players in our program refuse to respond to or play for a contract extension.  THAT is a problem!

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with most of you talking about the football team.

We did have some impressive things happen during the 2011 season such as the win over Louisville and the nice bowl win to cap off the season, but in all honesty we ended the season 6-6 and were mediocre at best taking into consideration we had a freshman QB and Graham was just a scrambler.

I'm glad it's only a 1 year extension but you all know that after the 2011 season Doc should have been in a better position to keep his job but should not have been considered for an extension.

Besides was anyone really knocking down the door to get Doc?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »