Author Topic: H-D: Contracts mean MU coaches are staying  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Dunk

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • All American
  • HerdFans Contributor
Re: H-D: Contracts mean MU coaches are staying
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Listen, I appreciate your enthusiasm... I really do.  

But I am in a different place than you are.  I can not continue to blindly give my valuable time and support to maintain nothing but incompetence.  

I don't understand what else to do. I love Marshall and plan to support them until I am on the wrong side of the grass.

What else would I do with my valuable time and support? My support for Marshall is unconditional. I may be upset with the outcome of games or the direction of the administration, but that shouldn't deter my support. There is no use to complain about something that cannot be changed. It doesn't help the situation. Accept it, move forward, and lets concentrate on things we have control over as fans.

There are plenty of examples out there where coaches have very rough starts and end up being great coaches. It seems like we prefer to eat our own every 2-3 years and then complain about the outcome.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What are you smoking?

haha, apparently the stuff I'm smoking is pretty good too. I thought last year was the 2011 season. Anyways a 7-6 season with a Beef O Brady's bowl win over FIU is NOT one of the best seasons in our history. Best in the 8 years yes!

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• "The 2011 football season was also the best we have had in about 8 years and one of the best in school history.  I know it is the agenda of most on here to down play any success Marshall has, but we beat the Big East champ, the CUSA champ that finished in the top 25, and won a bowl game."

Better than........
    1996?
    1997?
    98?
    99?
    2000?
    01?
    02?
    03?

How many times did we get blown out in 2011?
    That marvelous L'ville team, didn't they get beat the game before by power house FIU?
    Unbelievable.

Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline whf

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those of you who want to re-read my post, I never even spoke about whether or not the extensions were a good thing; my comments are about trust and leadership; not the pros and cons of whether either man deserved an extension of his contract.  There can be judgment about whether the extension were deserved and whether the decision to give them was correct; I see less judgment about being misled concerning the review of performance and action on contracts.  Just saying...................I personally feel deceived by Mr. Hamrick's communications, and I can't say I feel I misinterpreted his message.

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't understand what else to do. I love Marshall and plan to support them until I am on the wrong side of the grass.

What else would I do with my valuable time and support? My support for Marshall is unconditional. I may be upset with the outcome of games or the direction of the administration, but that shouldn't deter my support. There is no use to complain about something that cannot be changed. It doesn't help the situation. Accept it, move forward, and lets concentrate on things we have control over as fans.

There are plenty of examples out there where coaches have very rough starts and end up being great coaches. It seems like we prefer to eat our own every 2-3 years and then complain about the outcome.

Dunk, I like your passion. One thing for sure..no one can ever accuse you of being a bandwagon fan. ;D

Offline luvherd

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those who support MH quietly rewarding Herrion for last year, I ask you, shouldn't MH find the money to fire Herrion for a disastrous year.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline mckayt

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have heard many times that coaches need x-amount of years left on their contract to properly recruit.  Otherwise, kids are hesitant to commit to them for the fear that the coach will not be there for their entire collegiate career.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those who support MH quietly rewarding Herrion for last year, I ask you, shouldn't MH find the money to fire Herrion for a disastrous year.

Agreed. 
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline The Greenhouse Effect

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think he did it to show good faith to his coaches he believes in them and if one considers the outcomes of both programs LAST season probably can be justified, but I would have waited till this season.

Still recruits want to know is the guy recruiting me going to be my coach.

Before we all go ballistic I'm curios to see what this year brings, and possibly both coaches right the now toppling ship they had going in the right direction after season 2.

Herrion needs a point guard and Holliday needed to get a new d coord, time will tell, I'm still in support of Hamrick Herrion Holliday and the Herd.

Offline phillyherdfan

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 02:31:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have heard many times that coaches need x-amount of years left on their contract to properly recruit.  Otherwise, kids are hesitant to commit to them for the fear that the coach will not be there for their entire collegiate career.

If that were the case here, would it not make sense to publicly announce it?

Offline Penn2moss

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #60 on: February 26, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "The 2011 football season was also the best we have had in about 8 years and one of the best in school history.  I know it is the agenda of most on here to down play any success Marshall has, but we beat the Big East champ, the CUSA champ that finished in the top 25, and won a bowl game."

Better than........
    1996?
    1997?
    98?
    99?
    2000?
    01?
    02?
    03?

How many times did we get blown out in 2011?
    That marvelous L'ville team, didn't they get beat the game before by power house FIU?
    Unbelievable.

On par with 03 and 00 IMO.  You listed 8 seasons.  I know you hate Doc, but the 2011 season is probably in the top 10 all time and in the conversation of the best non Pruett season.

Offline mckayt

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If that were the case here, would it not make sense to publicly announce it?

I don't know the reasoning for not announcing it, but wouldn't it make sense to announce after the 2 perceived good seasons?  There would be no reason to hide the extensions.  So maybe there was not a reason for no announcement. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #62 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On par with 03 and 00 IMO.  You listed 8 seasons.  I know you hate Doc, but the 2011 season is probably in the top 10 all time and in the conversation of the best non Pruett season.

03? The year we went 8-4, lost to #7 Tennessee by 10, Toledo by 7, and Troy by 9 coming off a win against #10 Kansas State. We got stomped by #15 Miami by 39, which is less of a loss than the 42 point loss to an unranked Tulsa team, a 37 point loss to and unranked Ohio Bobkitten team, and a 35 point loss to a #19 Houston. You must hate Pruett.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline Slice11

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herrion isn't building anything.  What do we have for next year?  More Jucos to come in and start and leave after 2 years?  He's not planning for the future.  At least Doc has the team stockpiled for the next few years.  Just not sold on Doc coaching them up.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herrion isn't building anything.  What do we have for next year?  More Jucos to come in and start and leave after 2 years?  He's not planning for the future.  At least Doc has the team stockpiled for the next few years.  Just not sold on Doc coaching them up.

Agreed. I don't see Herrion building up the program with the way he's recruiting.

Offline vandalia

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #65 on: February 26, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the decision each of us has to make is, "am i going to pay for this?"

that's up to you. i've made my decision.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Watch the video above of his intro.  He said there would be openness.  To find out about these extensions...Chuck had to dig.  What else is Hamrick hiding?

If he doesn't like that question...then he shouldn't have hid the facts.  When are public figures going to learn?
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:09:00 PM by Thundering In MD »

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where did Chuck have to dig?  He quotes Hamrick.  Seems no one asked before.

Last year, when he gave Herrion the 1 year extension as a reward for getting to the CUSA championship game and the NIT, everyone was agreeing with me that we should throw fertile women with unbreakable ties to Huntington at the (then still separated) man.

Perhaps Hamrick doesn't announce things because no matter how hard you try, you can only please about 1/2 the people.

People just look, very hard sometimes, to find something to get all riled up over.
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:29:34 PM by IM4DHERD »
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've never doubted whf's posts.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  To my face, he indicated when he would be reviewing the contracts of the head football and basketball coaches when he said after the 3rd year for basketball due to coming in when success was somewhat going on, and 4th year for football based on the status of the program when he arrived.  And guys, if my memory is correct, this comment was stated after the bowl game for sure, and I would content (although my memory is less clear about the NIT timing) after the NIT as well. As a matter of fact, the impression was that even with both results it took longer to see what the development of the product was when the coaches started running programs with their own kids and cultures.

And as others have said, the fact neither was announced when they happened is a fact that speaks louder than the silence it was designed to provide.  I think Mike hurt himself a lot here, I know he did with me.  What will and should we believe now?

Not denouncing what whf says.  There is nothing in this post, which I assume is the one in particular being referred to, saying he did or did not extend a contract.  IMO, and I accept that it is only my opinion, he here only outlines his philosophy on when it is appropriate to review contracts in consideration of replacement of a failing coach. I read this to mean that he will allow a football coach 4 years and a bball coach three to turn around a bad situation.  Both 1 year extensions in question here were rewards for success on the field and the court.
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:44:09 PM by IM4DHERD »

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't care about this at all if it would not have been hidden.  These are public figures.  Is it Big Green dollars that fund the extensions?
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:30:29 PM by Thundering In MD »

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  Btw my definition of hidden includes not revealing something of this magnitude.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Big Green dollars go only and exclusively to fund athletic scholarships.

"Magnitude" is relative and measure by opinion of the question at hand.  I do not see this as even a ripple on a pond.  Others see it as a tsunami.

We need to play a round, drinking the concoction of your choice, and hammer all this out.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

High school athletes are more fearful of coach being fired from losing, rather than being worried about a long term contract..

Offline jt

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • hamrick is swallowing., We must have the #1 AD in the nation just like the BB coach has us #1 in free throw shooting in the nation (345 of 345). Just turn everything upside down and we are "rosy".
    after 70 years of faithful following, I am DONE. I am mortified, embarrassed beyond reason. I am changing my wardrobe. I will no longer wear Herd gear and be embarrassed and looked down upon/laughed at because of lack of leadership. This has gone on too long.

This even destroyed my minimal optimism over the 2013 FB team doing something with our weakest schedule in many years. Screw it, I am going to now "get a life".

Kopp, Herrion, and both head coaches need to be "guillotined". they have already done that to our beloved Herd programs.
    Go HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »