Author Topic: Marshall Professor calls for NRA members to be shot by firing squad for treason  (Read 6871 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Christopher Swindell, journalism professor at Marshall University, is calling on National Rifle Association members to be shot before a firing squad. In an op/ed published in the Charleston Gazette on Thursday, Swindell offered his version of the “final solution” for supporters of the Second Amendment, as Independent Journal Review’s Michael Miller characterized his vile rhetoric.

While passing himself off as “mainstream,” Swindell labels the NRA’s concerns as “knuckle-dragging Cretan talk” and accuses the organization of advocating for the overthrow of the U.S. government:

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/02/professor-calls-for-nra-members-to-be-shot-by-firing-squad-for-treason-73879

HerdFans.com

Offline MarshallGrad

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow. I can't say that I am surprised, coming from a tenured, journalism prof. But, I am still thinking................wow. I am not a member of the NRA, but maybe the good professor can provide a source for the evidence that the NRA advocates for the overthrow of the government. A class with this guy would be painful.

Offline kjh

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe he is trying to take the focus off Herrion. I'm not a NRA member either but this is the wrong way to draw attention to the University. Some will connect the dots.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/02/professor-calls-for-nra-members-to-be-shot-by-firing-squad-for-treason-73879

Offline Greg H

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's a good thing we've got him teaching future reporters how to be objective!  Good Lord.

Offline Buffalo Bop

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    That the Charleston Gazette would even publish such inflammatory vitriol is irresponsible in the least, but far more egregious is that this man is teaching the youth of America. God help us.

That sums it up for me.

Offline Herd-nficent

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yo...assault weapons for everyone.  It's my right!
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline Greg H

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is your right.

Offline MarshallGrad

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yo...assault weapons for everyone.  It's my right!

"Assault weapons" is red herring term. I don't own one, but I do know that a Marlin Camp Carbine has the exact capabilities as one of those nasty so called "assault"rifles. But, a Camp Carbine looks like dad's hunting gun and sounds much more comforting. Ignorance of anything is a bad thing.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The man is an attention whore.  When you pay attention to an attention whore you are falling into their trap.

Offline iherdya

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The man is an attention whore.  When you pay attention to an attention whore you are falling into their trap.

Knowing Chris, or at least of his antics on campus, I'd say he's a Communist attention whore...

Offline Herdthedrums1

• Junior Varsity
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great, its made yahoo. http://news.yahoo.com/meet-journalism-professor-says-nra-members-treasonous-executed-111814197.html   Ive avoided his classes, so far. He has a youtube page, here is the guy voicing some of his political concerns.

Online whf

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So I guess it is time to say that I am not ALWAYS proud of my University.  Thank God this man has the right to be so wrong.

HerdFans.com

Offline herdfan429

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tenure is a great thing. NOT!!!!!!!!!

Offline wasbarryb

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Clearly the guy is a narcissist of very little actual intelligence. His desire to call attention to himself by making a fool of himself is of little concern to me. However the fact that his outrageous call to violence against a substantial number of American citizens is linked to Marshall University is of concern to me.

I want the President of the school and/or the head of the department to publically disassociate the school from this !diot’s views ASAP. State clearly that Marshall University does not advocate the death of any human for their views and label Swindell’s editorial as the inflammatory garbage that it is.

Given Swindell’s clear need for attention and his lack of intellect I can’t think of a more deserving punishment.
    « Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:56:45 AM by wasbarryb »

Offline herdowski

• Rookie
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For what reason is that article on this site and how is it a topic for discussion about Marshall University athletics?

Offline Herd 90

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The government has it right where it wants us....DIVDED.  

As long as they have the red vs. blue, liberal vs. conservative they keep us occupied while they and military industrial complex do their thing.  Dwight D. Eisenhower warned us of this and it's come to fruition.  The only difference between the dems and republicans are social issues and taxes.  The republicans favor the elite ruling class and large corporations and want to save them money and dems say they favor the working class but that's debatable.  

Nothing will change until the right and left figure out the government is controlled by the military industrial complex and the wealthiest companies and individuals.

Only when the right and left join together and call for an end to money in politics will the system ever change.  Our congress and senate on both sides are controlled.  We don't live in a true democracy anymore.  That should worry tea party members as well as the leftists.

Offline iherdya

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For what reason is that article on this site and how is it a topic for discussion about Marshall University athletics?

Marshall University and Marshall University athletes aren't separate entities...

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Because it's in the national news and because it puts Marshall University as a whole (student athletes and all) in a bad light. If you don't want to read the story then don't click the link. Pretty simple really.

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This guy is a nutjob that must have been off his meds when he wrote this.  Funny thing is, if it wasn't for some gun toting Americans, he wouldn't have the right to say that.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great, its made yahoo. http://news.yahoo.com/meet-journalism-professor-says-nra-members-treasonous-executed-111814197.html   Ive avoided his classes, so far. He has a youtube page, here is the guy voicing some of his political concerns.

I tried to watch it but I stopped as soon as he said we need to lead the world morally with responsible measures to slow the heating of the planet. On a side note, I thought he did a great job reading from a piece of paper.

Offline HerdEcon

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I needed a good laugh today.

"They" walk among us. 

Offline Herdthedrums1

• Junior Varsity
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I tried to watch it but I stopped as soon as he said we need to lead the world morally with responsible measures to slow the heating of the planet. On a side note, I thought he did a great job reading from a piece of paper.
    You should watch the rest of his videos.
    « Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:34:17 AM by Herdthedrums1 »

HerdFans.com

Offline HERDFAN1999

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The guy has a right to his view and I have a right to call him a dumb ass.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's also the president of the NAASBC

National Association of Attention Seeking Buffoon Clowns

HerdFans.com