Author Topic: Cleaning vinyl siding tomorrow - 30 Seconds Cleaner  (Read 1213 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Cleaning vinyl siding tomorrow - 30 Seconds Cleaner
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cleaning my vinyl siding and aluminum gutters faces tomorrow. I've heard a lot of great things about this cleaner. Although it's not necessarily recommended by the cleaning product I still plan to use a brush and a power washer on a light nozzle setting along with it. Anyone else use this stuff. I can get it locally (Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus) at Ace Hardware and Home Depot.

http://www.30seconds.net/

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/100120403/1-gal-outdoor-cleaner-concentrate-reviews/reviews.htm

HerdFans.com

Cleaning vinyl siding tomorrow - 30 Seconds Cleaner
    « on: June 07, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    Re: Cleaning vinyl siding tomorrow - 30 Seconds Cleaner
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I still plan to use a brush and a power washer on a light nozzle setting along with it.

Funny you say that, I know a guy that's in the painter's union and he has a side business washing homes. 

Last year, switched from pressure washing to using a garden hose and large scrub brush.  He says it works much better. 

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:03:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Funny you say that, I know a guy that's in the painter's union and he has a side business washing homes. 

Last year, switched from pressure washing to using a garden hose and large scrub brush.  He says it works much better. 

I agree Johnny. I think a good cleaner that doesn't stain and a couple of different brush heads (medium and stiff) on a long broom handle is all you need. If you're not careful with a pressure washer you can easily rip right through your siding or even decking. I'm borrowing a neighbor's pressure washer and it's not very powerful. It's an electric model that you can hand carry and something more for washing cars or light duty work. I mainly want the washer for the aluminum gutter faces.

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A lot of the electric pressure washers, the end of the hose rod twists to adjust the sharpness of the stream, make sure you start with a fairly flat stream.  Although those electric ones strength doesn't compare to a gasoline model, at full strength it is still easy to do accidental damage!  I detail cars and prefer electric to cut out the gas expense.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Finished my project Sunday afternoon. Both Saturday and Sunday I got interrupted by rain but all in all I'm glad I tackled this and plan on doing it once a year from now on. I ended up going with a different cleaner other than the 30 Second cleaner and it worked fine. I also did my front and rear patio, sidewalk and about 25% of my driveway. I plan to finish up the driveway later this week once I spread the remainder of the 10 yards of mulch sitting in the driveway. I also plan to do my shed.

I'm going to purchase a pressure washer. You guys have any recommendations on which ones are best? Gas or electric?

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:35:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MY dad uses this stuff (can't remember the mane), but you mix one cup with one cup of bleach and two gallons of water.  He puts it in this hand pump pressure sprayer, sprays it on, waits 5 minutes and rinses it with a garden hose.  It will take off anything, it makes mold run off like it is water.

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have issues on the west side of my house with green mold. Haven't found anything that works really good. I'd be interested to hear what the stuff IH8WVU mentioned.

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just finished cleaning the vinyl siding portion of my hosue this weekend. I use hot water mixed with Cascade dishwashing detergent. I bought a 23 foot telescoping pole online with a heavy brush and scrub the siding with the mixture. I use a big bucket and dip the brush in it every so oftern. Then hose it down thoroughly with my hose. Works very well! I avoid climbing up and down on a ladder and it saves me time. The Cascade does great with gutters.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have issues on the west side of my house with green mold. Haven't found anything that works really good. I'd be interested to hear what the stuff IH8WVU mentioned.

It is called Jomax.  They sell it at Lowes.  One gallon makes like 20 gallons when you mix it up.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98953-90-60101_0__?productId=3099065

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is called Jomax.  They sell it at Lowes.  One gallon makes like 20 gallons when you mix it up.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98953-90-60101_0__?productId=3099065

Awesome, thanks!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »