Author Topic: GreenSteve's 2013 Prediction...  (Read 3106 times)

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
  • Heisman
Re: GreenSteve's 2013 Prediction...
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know that OU has beat us the last 2 years. One of those 2 was in convincing fashion, the other was at our place.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seriously, if you can't win 9 with this schedule maybe this is not the right vocation for you.
    "The Herd #1"

Offline OHIO1804

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I look forward to these threads every year.  :D

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know that OU has beat us the last 2 years. One of those 2 was in convincing fashion, the other was at our place.

Boy we had forgot all about that......we're shakin in our boots....good luck OU getting five picks again

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boy we had forgot all about that......we're shakin in our boots....good luck OU getting five picks again

We don't have a true freshman qb 3 games in anymore.  They know their toast.

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just curious about what you think will be the main factors in those losses?  

Offense - Can't.... run/pass/convert 1st dwns/score td's?
    Defense - Can't stop run/pressure qb/cover wrs?
    Special teams?
    Penalties?
    Coaching?
    We just aren't as good / talented / deep as them
    We can't play on the road?

If you don't mind?

I've said this before...

John can't coach. He's a tactician, not a strategist.

There was never more evidence than after last year's Tulsa game. I listened to the post game coaches interviews. The Tulsa coach opened up with, "We knew if we could stop their running game, they'd be forced to pass. Then their defense couldn't stop us."

That is strategy.

John opened his press conference with, "They have good players."

That's tactics.

Every coach wants good players. John doesn't know what to do with them. There's no gameplan. No strategy.  Just recruit better players and somehow, magically, things will work out.

You can buy into that if you want to.

It's also beyond me, why most of you think the defense will be significantly better this year.

On this board, I see a Marshall-centric mind-think. "We got...We got...We got..." Well, the others got too.

Again. 6-6. John can't coach. Even in a diluted CUSA/Sunbelt. And I've been pretty accurate calling his record.

Tear me to shreds.

GreenSteve.

"The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honest truth is he doesnt have to coach a lick. If Heater is competent and the O just stays the same we could improve. One poster said the new players had never played but Roberts is a veteran CB starter who missed the entire yr 2012. I figure the big diff is last yr those guys thought they were adequate. They know diff now. The D might not have to be good, only slightly improved. Prob the best OL since the John Wade days. No way you know as much as you like to think. Remember the O from 2011? What a diff ayr sometimes makes. We'll see.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honest truth is he doesnt have to coach a lick. If Heater is competent and the O just stays the same we could improve. One poster said the new players had never played but Roberts is a veteran CB starter who missed the entire yr 2012. I figure the big diff is last yr those guys thought they were adequate. They know diff now. The D might not have to be good, only slightly improved. Prob the best OL since the John Wade days. No way you know as much as you like to think. Remember the O from 2011? What a diff ayr sometimes makes. We'll see.

When is that ever the case for any team? I'd like to find something someday that I can agree with you on, BHFI, but this isn't that day.

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hell, I think Marshall could run the table.
    The only solid favorite over us should be VPI. Other than that there may be a couple of tossups but I would not be a bit surprised to see us win all the regular season games, the CUSA title game and a bowl game.
    Offense will be the offense and a MUCH better defense will give the offense the ball a lot more often.

Offline The Greenhouse Effect

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Have to agree with Steve of Green's assessment.

Not to kick a dead horse...but does anyone remember the Pruett days? When we came out second half a new team would emerge...that's adjustments. Nehlen had to pray the  4 Big East officials would allow him to pull out a win in our opener at WVU after getting hammered in the first half. They did. Still the point is we adjusted.

When things started going bad, you'd see the headset come on and Pruett would be in the mix, Holliday is just half way out on the field.

Great guy, good recruiter, has done some really excellent things IMO but strategy isn't one of his strong points.

Offline herdman

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You don't think Saban or Meyer coach? C'mon the head coach is the General, just like Stormin' Norman. They set the direction and philosophy. The coordinators implement the plan. The head coach adjust that based on opponent, strengths, weaknesses, game situation, etc. He has to coach.

He has to coach especially at the level we play out where the talent differential does not separate a lot of teams. Doc's philosophy seems to be hey, let's out recruit people and win on talent. Well, it is not like he is going to play Tulsa and we have Alabama talent and they have Tulsa talent.

I have no doubt we had more talent than Ohio U last year. We lost based on coaching. We had more raw talent than Ohio U did. I could see it. Solich schooled us. 

Offline The Greenhouse Effect

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 01:01:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If one looks at the bigger picture...Holliday has instilled work ethic, discipline , a clear understanding of what Marshall football means to the community to the players, rules that are team rules and he hasn't embarassed Marshall in any way. He's carried himself as a class act.

So if a parent is wondering do I want to let my kid go to Marshall to play for Holliday it's a safe bet a parent feels its a good choice.

So it's not all gloom and doom. I'm hoping for a good season. Maybe Doc's trickeration and strategy skills kick in this year? Maybe he starts playing to win instead of not to lose, like Pruett always did. Maybe the new def coord does help reduce ppg to the point where 59 points can win a game.

Maybe....maybe.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 01:01:08 PM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am a Kool Aid drinker, but I am seeing double digit wins if you include the post season (CUSA championship and Bowl...of which we will win one), but possibly not a top 25 finish because of the quality of schedule.

I AM A KOOL AID Man

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I look forward to these threads every year.  :D

I'm with you...only difference: these used to go straight to smack... Btw, 10 years before I can't find your posts. You need to be apart of the group every year.

Offline vandalia

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #64 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

you can't seriously, in a sober breath, say that.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Stepping in with whatever breath your gang needs to be on guard.

Offline vandalia

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #66 on: June 15, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we win 9-10 games.  If not Doc is horrible.  I don't think he is a coaching genius but I hope he's a guy that can deliver 9-10 wins when we have a lot more talent than a substantial majority of teams we play.  That has worked for us in past and I expect it to again.

I will be disappointed w 8 and would call for firing at 7 wins

wow.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wow.

HOW!

SEE : Chillothe news research....They are in charge of your inbred Catbucks breeding seasons for 2013.

Offline jt

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love Doc and what he has tried to do.
    Unfortunately he has been outcoached a lot to date.

New coaches. So what? Does he listen to them on Game Day?  He has to learn to make adjustments IN GAME.  Coaching happens in game as well as between games.

To date, Doc has failed in making the in-game adjustments needed. As have so many of our coaches in more sports than one.

Yeah, I think we have some good coaches and some good recruiters. But, you can't install a program and make NO adjustments to that program in game.

Go Herd. Make me proud.
    I expect no less than 10 wins for the FB team this year. Anything less is failure. One of those can be a bowl game but we should win 10 regular season games if we are truly progressing. But I'll cut Doc some slack and allow one "oops" game loss for a 9-3 plus a Bowl win.
    Go HERD!!!

Offline iherdya

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've said this before...

John can't coach. He's a tactician, not a strategist.

There was never more evidence than after last year's Tulsa game. I listened to the post game coaches interviews. The Tulsa coach opened up with, "We knew if we could stop their running game, they'd be forced to pass. Then their defense couldn't stop us."

That is strategy.

John opened his press conference with, "They have good players."

That's tactics.

Every coach wants good players. John doesn't know what to do with them. There's no gameplan. No strategy.  Just recruit better players and somehow, magically, things will work out.

You can buy into that if you want to.

It's also beyond me, why most of you think the defense will be significantly better this year.

On this board, I see a Marshall-centric mind-think. "We got...We got...We got..." Well, the others got too.

Again. 6-6. John can't coach. Even in a diluted CUSA/Sunbelt. And I've been pretty accurate calling his record.

Tear me to shreds.

GreenSteve.

When you understand that the vast majority of head coaches don't really coach, you'll be able to understand things a bit better.

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think GS prediction 6-6 is a fair assessment. Herd has had the talent in the past but has failed to deliver.
    I say 8-4 or fire everybody.

Time for MU to move forward and get out of 6-6/7-5 neutral
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline herdman

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When you understand that the vast majority of head coaches don't really coach, you'll be able to understand things a bit better.

Well, they are responsible for winning.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, they are responsible for winning.

Did I say they weren't?

The winningest and best coach at Marshall sat in the stands with his friends during practice, had zero clue of about our offense or defense and the plays/schemes, etc.

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #73 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did I say they weren't?

The winningest and best coach at Marshall sat in the stands with his friends during practice, had zero clue of about our offense or defense and the plays/schemes, etc.

You need to get back on your meds, or up the dosage as soon as possible.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You need to get back on your meds, or up the dosage as soon as possible.

What I said was 100% fact. Pruett say up there in the chairbacks during practice with some money guys, doing one of the biggest parts of a head coach's job. During the game, he managed the game, in cojunction with his assistants. He never called a play, he never sat in meeting rooms during the week working on the gameplan. He hired the assistants he felt best for the job, those that shared his vision and plan, and then he stayed out of their way letting them do their thing.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »