Author Topic: CUSA/MAC Alliance... new and improved  (Read 7658 times)

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: CUSA/MAC Alliance... new and improved
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • lol

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Back from the political ad-like commercial break... and back on-topic...

For the purposes of another conversation, worked up an Excel sheet showing the 5 year conference-wide simple-averaged Sagarins; one row shows conference ranking, but the more useful numbers are directly below those, showing the ratings...

Do the math, and you'll find that the difference between the top (SEC) and what was the bottom (Big East) is only about 6.64.

The conservative estimate (necessary to estimate since it is composed of about 30% former Big East and about 70% former CUSA) for the difference between the AAC (top) and Sun Belt (bottom) is 7.44.

So, the gap between the top of G5 and the bottom is even somewhat wider than the gap between SEC and Big East.

When you add to that the numbers I'd already charted showing 5-year ranking averages for the actual schools composing the realigned conferences, you see a spread like this...

AAC = ~75 (likely to regress slightly over time to the normal curve)
    MWC = ~90
    MAC = ~115
    CUSA = ~118 (likely to increase slightly over time to the normal curve)
    SBC = ~125

Translating those numbers into a grid and matching that against the P5 conferences for some context, here's the bottom line...

- AAC is essentially the SEC of the Go5

- MWC is essentially the Big XII of the Go5

- MAC and CUSA essentially are something somewhere between the ACC and old Big East of the Go5

- SBC essentially is something somewhere between the old Big East and MWC

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• GREAT!  Can we save time and simply post this every time sturt begins a thread?

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Save time?"

Isn't that just a matter of not clicking on a thread you don't want to read?

Here... if you just can't help yourself... the "ignore" thing is too absolute and permanent... and if therapy's too much... maybe you can order this...

Just trying to be helpful.  :P

And for what it's worth... I promise not to click on any thread you start. (Not that that has ever been a problem in the past.)
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:26:18 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As usual, your mouth is moving, but all I hear is "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah"

Why don't you save your breath to inflate your date tonight.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As usual, your mouth is moving, but all I hear is "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah"

Why don't you save your breath to inflate your date tonight.

Geez. Really? Is this what it comes to, Francis?

Sad.

(Mumbles to self... Good God Almighty, please don't let this guy be an actual diploma-bearing Marshall grad.)
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:52:56 PM by _sturt_ »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

For the purposes of another conversation, worked up an Excel sheet showing the 5 year conference-wide simple-averaged Sagarins; one row shows conference ranking, but the more useful numbers are directly below those, showing the ratings...

Do the math, and you'll find that the difference between the top (SEC) and what was the bottom (Big East) is only about 6.64.

The conservative estimate (necessary to estimate since it is composed of about 30% former Big East and about 70% former CUSA) for the difference between the AAC (top) and Sun Belt (bottom) is 7.44.

So, the gap between the top of G5 and the bottom is even somewhat wider than the gap between SEC and Big East.

When you add to that the numbers I'd already charted showing 5-year ranking averages for the actual schools composing the realigned conferences, you see a spread like this...

MWC = ~90
    MAC = ~115
    SBC = ~125

Translating those numbers into a grid and matching that against the P5 conferences for some context, here's the bottom line...

- MAC and CUSA essentially are something somewhere between the ACC and old Big East of the Go5

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2013, 01:18:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • More info for I've compiled for us stats geeks...

The take home?

MWC is the strongest conference top-to-bottom. MWC is the only conference to have had either the best non-AQ team or runner-up every year since 2005, the year that CUSA formed as we know it. Their average Sagarin rating over that period has been ~69, and they're likely to ratchet that up slightly as they gain Utah State and San Jose State.

The math says that the Great 8 (top 2 in CUSA East and West, and top 2 in MAC East and West) would have had a rating of ~69.

To those of you sober and adult enough to engage the idea and engage this discussion... that should, at least, be enough for you to sit up and stare harder at your screen to see if you can pick this apart... because all of the numbers are lining up behind this as a legitimate strategy to better our situation... so much so, that the entire... entire... setback that seemingly resulted from the AAC defections... is more than mitgated... under this arrangement, if we are good enough to play in this so-called Great 8 league, the Sagarin average exceeds by a significant margin what we experienced with CUSA 2.0 (~62).

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:27:39 AM by _sturt_ »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

MWC = ~90
    MAC = ~115
    SBC = ~125

Stuart, there is more to it then 35/22/36...it's how they look, what kind of personality they have, and who shows up to greet everyone when they get there. MAC = loser.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Carolina, help me see if I'm conveying this well. What do you actually understand about the concept and the rationale behind it... ie, beyond just that it is an alliance with the MAC...?

Online banker

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, the real problem with looking at history is that the results were driven by Utah, TCU and BYU to a large extent.  The first two are now in P5 conferences and the 3rd is an independent.  Just because they are gone doesn't mean that you have other programs that are going to step up and make the investments necessary to have a consistently high ranked program.

The other problem is that schools in the MAC and CUSA are too inconsistent to know who the top teams are going to be in advance.  USM was very good in 2011, would they have been it your top 8 arrangement in 2012 based on that?  What about a few years back when Rice won 10 games, would they have been put in the top group the next year?  Miami was great with Big Ben, not immediately after his departure.  You can't alter scheduling mid season or even end of season, the impact of that is just too great - season tickets are out, road and home games are set, printing tickets and getting them distributed on short notice is expensive, making travel arrangements (flights, hotel reservations for the team, moving gear around) is a logistical nightmare on short notice.

If you do it as an in season playoff I just don't see it being logistically possible even if you do support the idea (which I don't).  As I have said, SOS means little.  NIU proved that last year, Boise has proven it multiple times.  The way to get to the BCS is to go undefeated.  The best way to go undefeated is to limit high risk games and your proposal does just the opposite.

Offline MUther

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 03:14:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt can you repost your numbers reflecting the SoS changes based on everyone's new schedules including those that are currently FCS or have never played a down of football.  SoS is a large part of the Sagarin predictor and while it will be greatly varied for the teams in the new CUSA from what it was, it should remain fairly stable in the MAC and therefore could dramatically swing the Sagarin numbers in CUSA's favor once corrected.

Their old Sagarin numbers from the Sunbelt just won't be accurate without figuring in the increased SoS.  You might believe that it's generally compensated for by the remaining old CUSA teams losing some SoS due to the incoming teams dragging it down some, but I don't really see that as the case with losing Memphis and Tulane while gaining some much better teams in LaTech and MT. 

Oh, you can't figure out the new SoS that is a huge part of Sagarin's predictor because these teams haven't played the new schedules yet, and/or haven't played in enough matches to satisfy Sagarin's other big factor--the opponent's opponent?  Well I guess that giant chart of absolute (bleep) doesn't mean anything and you can move on and do something else with your life.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt can you repost your numbers reflecting the SoS changes based on everyone's new schedules including those that are currently FCS or have never played a down of football.  SoS is a large part of the Sagarin predictor and while it will be greatly varied for the teams in the new CUSA from what it was, it should remain fairly stable in the MAC and therefore could dramatically swing the Sagarin numbers in CUSA's favor once corrected.

Their old Sagarin numbers from the Sunbelt just won't be accurate without figuring in the increased SoS.  You might believe that it's generally compensated for by the remaining old CUSA teams losing some SoS due to the incoming teams dragging it down some, but I don't really see that as the case with losing Memphis and Tulane while gaining some much better teams in LaTech and MT.  

Oh, you can't figure out the new SoS that is a huge part of Sagarin's predictor because these teams haven't played the new schedules yet, and/or haven't played in enough matches to satisfy Sagarin's other big factor--the opponent's opponent?  Well I guess that giant chart of absolute bull%^&* doesn't mean anything and you can move on and do something else with your life.

MUther, always had some a lot of respect for you, but on this one, my friend, you're just not getting it.

Your point could be valid if only looking at the Sagarin ELO, which is what the BCS used because, for whatever reason, the BCS gods didn't want margin of victory (MoV) as part of anyone's computer equation.

But the fact that the Sagarin Predictor rating does take MoV into account gives sufficient basis that the FCS programs can be included. In fact... surely you know this(?)... some of them score much better than FBS programs.

I know when we were I-AA, the Sagarins reflected us as being better than most or all of the MAC... turned out pretty accurate back then... don't know why it suddenly wouldn't be now, unless we just don't like the conclusions it seems to point to.

I'm not a math guy enough to explain every last variable and every operation, but I do dabble in stats regularly enough to grasp the basic concept. Sagarin and others use scores and mix in their own set of assumptions to produce a matrix of interrelated numbers that end up... and this is where one gains confidence that it's not a bunch of BS... end up being accurate about 75% of the time in predicting winners... and, of course, it's rational that as any given season's pile of numbers grows, with more data, you get more accuracy.

Now, full disclosure, I discovered last night while I was digging for some other information that the Sagarins had an absolutely horrid bowl record this past season, which compels me to... next time I have some time... look into that to see if that's typical or an outlier. Intriguingly, that had followed an absolutely super last week of the season when it was 84% accurate.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:37:55 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MUther, always had some respect for you, but on this one, my friend, you're just not getting it.

Your point could be valid if only looking at the Sagarin ELO, which is what the BCS used because, for whatever reason, the BCS gods didn't want margin of victory (MoV) as part of anyone's computer equation.

But the fact that the Sagarin Predictor rating does take MoV into account gives sufficient basis that the FCS programs can be included. In fact... surely you know this(?)... some of them score much better than FBS programs.

I know when we were I-AA, the Sagarins reflected us as being better than most or all of the MAC... turned out pretty accurate back then... don't know why it suddenly wouldn't be now, unless we just don't like the conclusions it seems to point to.

I'm not a math guy enough to explain every last variable and every operation, but I do dabble in stats regularly enough to grasp the basic concept. Sagarin and others use scores and mix in their own set of assumptions to produce a matrix of interrelated numbers that end up... and this is where one gains confidence that it's not a bunch of BS... end up being accurate about 75% of the time in predicting winners... and, of course, it's rational that as any given season's pile of numbers grows, with more data, you get more accuracy.

Now, full disclosure, I discovered last night while I was digging for some other information that the Sagarins had an absolutely horrid bowl record this past season, which compels me to... next time I have some time... look into that to see if that's typical or an outlier. Intriguingly, that had followed an absolutely super last week of the season when it was 84% accurate.

Just to say his system predicts winners 75% of the time, or 84% accurate is a bit of a fallacy. The vast majority of college football games are between two teams that have a pretty large gap in terms of their talent and results, that anyone could pick. To see if his system has any weight in a legit predictive system, you'd need to look at games between evenly matched/close in rating teams and look at his results there.

For example, SEC games from 11/10/12:

Arkansas at South Carolina
    La Lafayette at Florida
    Missouri at Tennessee
    TAMU at Alabama
    Georgia at Auburn
    Miss State at LSU
    Vandy at Ole Miss

I'd say Random Joe College Football Fan would pick SC, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Vandy. That's 55%. Those would've been the same picks Sagarin would've made, except he would've probably gone with Ole Miss over Vandy, they were similar teams, but it was at Ole Miss.

Random Joe College Fan can predict the vast majority of games, simple w/l. To see if Sagarin's system is really that good, you'd need to look at games between closely ranked teams, also at all games ATS.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, the real problem with looking at history is that the results were driven by Utah, TCU and BYU to a large extent.  The first two are now in P5 conferences and the 3rd is an independent.  Just because they are gone doesn't mean that you have other programs that are going to step up and make the investments necessary to have a consistently high ranked program.

So, you're suggesting that we can't know if any schools will fill the void, and since we can't know that, it invalidates using historical information at all.

But what if... historically... we can look at schools leaving their D2 and I-AA and FCS and FBS conferences, and see that there is a pattern of seeing those voids filled? (And you know that we can... do I really have to go there, too?)

Backing up to the very, very big picture, it's just something we routinely accept, but seemingly because it doesn't get you to the conclusions you want to reach, you want to call into question one of the true conventions of the civilized modern world... the most basic premise of scientific method, which is that history is the best predictor of future behaviors. No, it's not 100%, and especially so when we wade into the social world from the natural world, but it's still far... far... better than going without.

The argument that says, essentially, "just because X (independent variable) happened doesn't mean Y (dependent variable) definitely will happen," while correct, ignores the bigger point, which is that the other option--setting aside X, and deciding to always assume that Y has no relationship at all to X--is fraught with opening up to an even larger likelihood of error than had X been taken into account, though perhaps with some additional variables and calculations to better account for Y.

The other problem is that schools in the MAC and CUSA are too inconsistent to know who the top teams are going to be in advance.  USM was very good in 2011, would they have been it your top 8 arrangement in 2012 based on that?  What about a few years back when Rice won 10 games, would they have been put in the top group the next year?  Miami was great with Big Ben, not immediately after his departure.  

You've been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this thing, trying to shoot it down from the beginning. For whatever reason, there's been a pattern of general antagonism... seemingly one of those things where I could say the sky is blue and the response would be something like "just because it's been blue doesn't mean it will be tomorrow."

This, though, is the first fair point that you've raised... and it is this...

While there is a progression/relegation mechanism that churns the bottom of the Great 8, ensuring that some of the best of MAC and CUSA rise up and the lesser G8 schools move back to their original status, it's just not possible to know how sufficient that mechanism will be over time to move teams up and down appropriate to the strength of their success.

That's a problem of NCAA regulation... a conference has to maintain at least 6 static schools in any 2-year period.

I think it's something you'd have to re-visit after maybe 5 years to see if one school up and one school down per year is enough. The alternative is to reconfigure from 8  to 9 teams, or maybe 9 to 10 teams. But since 8 is such a clean number, it makes too much sense to start there, and see how experience and.... yes, there's that word again... history suggests things ought to go.

You can't alter scheduling mid season or even end of season, the impact of that is just too great - season tickets are out, road and home games are set, printing tickets and getting them distributed on short notice is expensive, making travel arrangements (flights, hotel reservations for the team, moving gear around) is a logistical nightmare on short notice.

Aside: It's fine to be the one who always thinks of the problems... the critic. It's better to be the one who, before opening mouth, that person tries to answer his own criticisms with some logical response, so that s/he only offers those criticisms that actually have some merit... in other words, it seems to me that when it comes to critical thought of what I propose, you embrace that role, but when it comes to critical thought of your own criticism, you don't seem to bother. And I end up spending time answering things that you could have answered yourself if you'd only slowed down to think about it.

This is one of those.

How do we handle bowl games?

We handle it by having fixed places and times where the games will be played. We might not know which team will go where, but we do know the where, and we do know the time... and it all somehow comes together and works.

"Yeah, but at least you have a few weeks between the announcement and the actual game."

First round of March Madness, fans and their teams have less than a week--heck, many of them don't even know for sure that they're even going to be playing until they win their tournament a few days before.

THIS, though, doesn't even require that amount of complication.

For this, you simply say there are three weeks of games in the in-season playoff. Week one games in odd years are all in CUSA stadiums... week two, all in MAC stadiums... week three, all in CUSA stadiums... opposite in even years.

Everyone knows when they'll be at home or on the road. The hotels might not know if their guests will be wearing Marshall green or Rice blue or whatever... but they do know they will have guests. And probably more saliently, Marshall and Rice will be able to sell their season tickets knowing when all of the home dates will occur.

As I have said, SOS means little.  NIU proved that last year, Boise has proven it multiple times.  The way to get to the BCS is to go undefeated.  The best way to go undefeated is to limit high risk games and your proposal does just the opposite.

Stare at the data.

We find that very few teams that lose 3 games that finished in the BCS top 25... there are some who lost 2... but the top teams since 2005 have all finished either once-beaten or unbeaten.

Hear me. We agree. You need to have a team that is either once-beaten or unbeaten.

Stare further at the data.

There is only one conference that has perennially delivered a candidate for the top slot. That was the conference that boasted the strongest average ratings.

Conclusion: If the goal is to have a perennial challenger for the top slot, strength of conference is a key variable.

But referencing your point to pretty much DESIRE to play in a weak league, it would help to look at how once-beaten and undefeated teams from lower-rated conferences have fared... were they able to be viable candidates for the top slot?

There is only one.

Ball State 2008: 12-1, BCS finish #24 behind 3 other teams, two of which came from the MWC.

And, importantly, it shouldn't actually be a surprise that there is only one case to look at.

Weaker league teams, by definition, field teams that get beaten more often because when they play out of conference, they're more exposed, and they lose.

One more important point that neither of us cite here, but both of us have probably acknowledged at one time or another... to be that top Go5 school ticketed to a major bowl, you have to hope your schedule ends up featuring a game against at least one top 25 team.

If that one top 25 team can be from your own conference? All the better, since it makes it more likely that someone from your conference, not someone else's, is going to achieve that major bowl slot.

So here's the essentials list to becoming a perennial threat... not just every 3, 4 or 5 seasons... to being the top team in Go5

1. Play in the a strong conference.

The Great 8 would get started at similar strength to the average of what MWC has been... which is significantly greater than any other non-AQ conference, including CUSA 2.0.

2. Do not lose 2 games.

The in-season playoff ensures that the Great 8 champion would be assured of having not lost, at least, their last 3 (since that team, by definition, will have won the playoff).

3. Play at least one top 25 team.

While teams can try to schedule top tier teams--and most definitely should try to do so--there are only so many of those teams and only so many openings. So, do that, but also help yourself if you can by playing in a conference where it's more plausible that a top 25 team could emerge.

It's more plausible for that to happen in a Great 8 than it is in any given year for MAC or a CUSA 3.0 where the majority of schools have not even played at a MAC level previously.
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:08:28 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just to say his system predicts winners 75% of the time, or 84% accurate is a bit of a fallacy. The vast majority of college football games are between two teams that have a pretty large gap in terms of their talent and results, that anyone could pick. To see if his system has any weight in a legit predictive system, you'd need to look at games between evenly matched/close in rating teams and look at his results there.

For example, SEC games from 11/10/12:

Arkansas at South Carolina
    La Lafayette at Florida
    Missouri at Tennessee
    TAMU at Alabama
    Georgia at Auburn
    Miss State at LSU
    Vandy at Ole Miss

I'd say Random Joe College Football Fan would pick SC, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Vandy. That's 55%. Those would've been the same picks Sagarin would've made, except he would've probably gone with Ole Miss over Vandy, they were similar teams, but it was at Ole Miss.

Random Joe College Fan can predict the vast majority of games, simple w/l. To see if Sagarin's system is really that good, you'd need to look at games between closely ranked teams, also at all games ATS.

You can't just offer up your own assumption of what "Joe College Football Fan" would say, and make a case. You'd have to find some stat that shows how some number of random fans picked games. I invite you to do that. My inclination is that 75% is a pretty stout number. But give it a go, and let's find some objective measure.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can't just offer up your own assumption of what "Joe College Football Fan" would say, and make a case. You'd have to find some stat that shows how some number of random fans picked games. I invite you to do that. My inclination is that 75% is a pretty stout number. But give it a go, and let's find some objective measure.

On the games listed above the sportswriters poll would've picked South Carolina, Florida, TAMU, Georgia, and LSU. The media is largely Joe College Football Fan, they went 4/5 in those games.

Anyway, here's is some detailed info on it:

http://www.thepredictiontracker.com/ncaaresults.php

In 2012, Sagarin was correct 76% of the time just head to head, but yet he was only 54% of the time against the spread, slightly better than flipping a coin.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Carolina, help me see if I'm conveying this well. What do you actually understand about the concept and the rationale behind it... ie, beyond just that it is an alliance with the MAC...?

Sturt, while I will not acquiesce to only knowing or understanding your particular outline, I will admit MAC is all it takes for me.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On the games listed above the sportswriters poll would've picked South Carolina, Florida, TAMU, Georgia, and LSU. The media is largely Joe College Football Fan, they went 4/5 in those games.

Anyway, here's is some detailed info on it:

http://www.thepredictiontracker.com/ncaaresults.php

In 2012, Sagarin was correct 76% of the time just head to head, but yet he was only 54% of the time against the spread, slightly better than flipping a coin.

Yes, the Prediction Tracker site is very handy.

So you'd like to use the sportswriters' top 25 as a proxy for all of college football fans' predictions on all of FBS football. Okay.

Let's evaluate that, as you suggest, in light of the Sagarins.

Such a poll ranks 25 teams for you, and thus you could deduce who "should" win... some of those, notably, play each other on a given Saturday, so assuming for the sake of round numbers that there's maybe 5 of those out of 25, the poll can be reasonably equated with predicting 20 winners for Joe Fan.

20 winners of... round numbers... about 60, if... again for the sake of keeping things simple... all of the FBS schools are only playing each other.

Of those 20, it's plausible that a few end up being upsets... Joe Fan is wrong, let's say on 4 of the 20 (... very much like the 4 of 5 that you posited).

That's 80% correct when Joe Fan has a good idea of who the best and better teams are.

Think a little further now.

What happens after you get past those top 25.

Would you say that Joe Fan's predictions likely improve for teams 26-128 playing in the other 44 (ie, 64 minus 20) games?

Would you agree, that "probably not" is a reasonable answer?

When Joe Fan starts trying to figure Tulsa versus Houston... Central Michigan versus Miami... Louisiana-Lafayete versus Troy... it seems likely he's going to see a whole lot of difficulty. He's not nearly as familiar with those kinds of teams. He's going to be pretty lost.

So, the short point is this.

Comparing Sagarins' ~84% of ALL games on the last Saturday of the season to Joe Fan's ~80% of ONLY the top teams playing late in the season would seem to naturally lead to the conclusion that Sagarin does for us something that we Joe Fans can't very well do on our own... especially once we get beyond the high end tail of the bell curve and start wading into the muddy middle.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:35:42 PM by _sturt_ »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »