Author Topic: Really don't understand posters on this board  (Read 3092 times)

Offline banker

Really don't understand posters on this board
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't know if some folks are just beaten down so they look for the worst as not to get their hopes up. Don't know if some just didn't like the Doc hire so much that they are willing to hope for failure just so they can be right. Don't know if some just don't pay attention so all they can do is live in past years.

People predicting the team to go 6-6 or even 7-5 know very little about our competition and even less about our squad regardless of what you think of the coach. Lets start with our team:

You know Cato, Shuler, Hoskins, Grooms, and Butler. Are you thinking about the fact that we have two deep experience at every line position?  We return 8 linemen that have starting experience and a handful more with game experience.  Given our schedule, which I'll get to, we will average 40 points again this year even if we have some injuries because we are legitimately 2 deep or better at ever single position. We haven't had that since pre-probation.

The defense is where many are really missing the boat. We have endured a decade of I adequate LB play. Thumper was the only legit LB we have had in CUSA. Guys that had the size, Gale, Carpenter, Kitchens, etc. didn't have the speed. Guys like Burns, Arrington, all the safeties that have been moved up, had the speed but not the size.  If some of you haven't seen Houston and Turene then I can understand why you are skeptical. When you see those guys with Holmes and Carter you will realize that we have seething we haven't had in CUSA, a legit LB corp that plays downhill against the run but also has the speed to cover the flats.

Last year we played the last half of the season with 2 CBs and Thomas had to play hurt for us to have two. He and Baxter got subbed out by walkons.  This year we will actually have depth. Thomas and Baxter will have to work to even get playing time. Our depth at corner will give us many options at Nickle where last year we had to leave Hunter out there every down and he hardly ever got a blow.

The BC guys were decent safeties and above average in run support but were often a liability in pass coverage. The problem we will have this year is too much high quality depth at the safety position. We are sitting with a 4-star CB (Leggett) who is so aggressive and such a hitter that they moved him to safety. So you have a cover corner who can hit playing safety. Problem is that with Letman looking so good and freshman All American Hunter getting moved back to his natural position Leggett is having to work to just get reps. Oh, and that doesn't count Tindal who the coaches may like the best.

Moral of all this - Houston, Turene, Leggett, Letman, Tindal all have one thing in common, none of them were on the field last year. Neither was Roberts, two year starter at CB who was injured all last year. Because of the increased skill in the back 7, and the scheme of the new DC, the days of dropping 8 and 10 yard cushions are gone. In is tight, physical man coverage and edge blitzing. We will go from giving up 43 a game to giving up less than 30 a game this year. By the time we get to conference play we will be a very good defense.

Now look at the opponents.

Miami was bad last year. They went 4-8 and now have lost their QB and #1 offense option WR. They lost 6 of their last 7 games. Coming to Huntington, opening day, really?

1-0

Garner Webb

2-0

Ohio - people like to fixate on the 2011 debacle but ignore that we beat them in 2009, 2010 and significantly outplayed them last year in a loss. We significantly out gained them but lost due to 2 TOs deep in their territory.  They graduated both starting corners and top backup, 3 starting Dlinemen, and top 2 linebackers as well as their kicker. On offense they graduated 3 linemen and their top WR. So if we were even with them last year, better sans turnovers...

3-0

VT - they weren't very good last year, but tough place to play.

3-1

UTSA - went 8-4 last year but that was playing a modified FCS schedule in a transitional year. Rice beat them 34-14, San Jose beat them 52-24, La Tech beat them 51-27, and Utah State beat them 48-17. They did beat Idaho, the worst FBS team, by 7. They have never traveled across the country for a game and its our homecoming.

4-1

FAU - is a dreadful program that has won a total of 3 games against FBS teams over the last two years. It will be a homecoming game for half our team. Their offense has been not very good. They lost their senior starting QB who was about their only offensive bright spot.

5-1

MTSU - I think this will be a dogfight. They return just as much as we do, we play at their place, they will take it as a big game to see where they stand in the conference. With that said, we will see it as an opportunity to show them where we stand in the conference. They went 8-4 but actually gave up more points than they scored.  They gave up 30 points to a woeful Memphis team and got shut out 45-0 by Arkansas State to end the season. I don't think they have the offensive firepower to stay with us.

6-1

USM - 2012 was bad for them. They have talent, but they go in to this year with their 3rd HC and schemes in 3 years and no clear front runner for QB coming out is spring. We won't beat them like last year, but we should beat them.

7-1

UAB - last years headscrather game. I think UAB will be decent this year, but not good enough in Huntington were we have handle them every time. Losing Burdette in the middle on D will be big for them. He led the nation in tackles last year with 157 including 17 against us. They also lost Irvin, another LB and their second leading tackler. So the second level goes from their biggest strength to a weakness.

8-1

Tulsa - I will chalk Tulsa up as a loss just so people don't think I'm all sunshine, but there's a compelling case to be made for a Herd victory. They lost 9 starters on D, a D that was #1 in total D in the conference, but one that had real trouble with us. They also graduated that monster back we couldn't tackle. Don't be surprised when we actually win.

8-2

FIU - this program is a dumpster fire. They do have their QB back and he showed some promise last year, but new coach, an athletic department with problems, coming off a 3 win season, one against an FcS and one an OT win against Akron...

9-2

ECU - big game for all the east marbles and the right to play in the championship game. Cato versus Carden. Who's D improved the most. The games in Huntington are always close, except 2007 when we blew them up for our first win of the season in our 8th game. It's a toss up but I like us at home. We had them beat last year in Greenville but for a ridiculous 4th and 10 defensive call.

10-2.

I'm sure we will drop one we shouldn't, but I also think we'll beat Tulsa, so I stick with 10-2. We will host Rice in the championship game.

HerdFans.com

Really don't understand posters on this board
    « on: June 16, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »

Online girthyherdon

Re: Really don't understand posters on this board
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ^^^Yup, agree with everything you said. Excellent post. ^^^

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • exactly

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just as I said with Green Steve's post, your rationale is sound also (so long as Snyder...I mean Doc, got that kick off coverage fixed).  I like your's a lot better than Green Steve's prediction, but I am going to wait to see how much heart this team has before I put faith in either prediction.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To weigh in I think two factors must be considered... Away games and defense. I agree and many others do about D being significantly better. Just gotta get on the field to show it. On to away games. These have been kryptonite to Doc. If we can get some consistency and avoid ALWAYS coming out flat that prediction should be spot on

Offline goherd24

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That back from Tulsa is not gone. He comes bsck this year, other than that, i agree with your post. If we underachieve this year it is because of coaching. Not because we are young, not because of a difficult schedule, not because of lack of talent. All those ships have sailed. Win.

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't know if some folks are just beaten down so they look for the worst as not to get their hopes up. Don't know if some just didn't like the Doc hire so much that they are willing to hope for failure just so they can be right. Don't know if some just don't pay attention so all they can do is live in past years.

People predicting the team to go 6-6 or even 7-5 know very little about our competition and even less about our squad regardless of what you think of the coach. Lets start with our team:

You know Cato, Shuler, Hoskins, Grooms, and Butler. Are you thinking about the fact that we have two deep experience at every line position?  We return 8 linemen that have starting experience and a handful more with game experience.  Given our schedule, which I'll get to, we will average 40 points again this year even if we have some injuries because we are legitimately 2 deep or better at ever single position. We haven't had that since pre-probation.

The defense is where many are really missing the boat. We have endured a decade of I adequate LB play. Thumper was the only legit LB we have had in CUSA. Guys that had the size, Gale, Carpenter, Kitchens, etc. didn't have the speed. Guys like Burns, Arrington, all the safeties that have been moved up, had the speed but not the size.  If some of you haven't seen Houston and Turene then I can understand why you are skeptical. When you see those guys with Holmes and Carter you will realize that we have seething we haven't had in CUSA, a legit LB corp that plays downhill against the run but also has the speed to cover the flats.

Last year we played the last half of the season with 2 CBs and Thomas had to play hurt for us to have two. He and Baxter got subbed out by walkons.  This year we will actually have depth. Thomas and Baxter will have to work to even get playing time. Our depth at corner will give us many options at Nickle where last year we had to leave Hunter out there every down and he hardly ever got a blow.

The BC guys were decent safeties and above average in run support but were often a liability in pass coverage. The problem we will have this year is too much high quality depth at the safety position. We are sitting with a 4-star CB (Leggett) who is so aggressive and such a hitter that they moved him to safety. So you have a cover corner who can hit playing safety. Problem is that with Letman looking so good and freshman All American Hunter getting moved back to his natural position Leggett is having to work to just get reps. Oh, and that doesn't count Tindal who the coaches may like the best.

Moral of all this - Houston, Turene, Leggett, Letman, Tindal all have one thing in common, none of them were on the field last year. Neither was Roberts, two year starter at CB who was injured all last year. Because of the increased skill in the back 7, and the scheme of the new DC, the days of dropping 8 and 10 yard cushions are gone. In is tight, physical man coverage and edge blitzing. We will go from giving up 43 a game to giving up less than 30 a game this year. By the time we get to conference play we will be a very good defense.

Miami was bad last year. They went 4-8 and now have lost their QB and #1 offense option WR. They lost 6 of their last 7 games. Coming to Huntington, opening day, really?

1-0

Garner Webb

2-0

Ohio - people like to fixate on the 2011 debacle but ignore that we beat them in 2009, 2010 and significantly outplayed them last year in a loss. We significantly out gained them but lost due to 2 TOs deep in their territory.  They graduated both starting corners and top backup, 3 starting Dlinemen, and top 2 linebackers as well as their kicker. On offense they graduated 3 linemen and their top WR. So if we were even with them last year, better sans turnovers...

3-0

3-1

UTSA - went 8-4 last year but that was playing a modified FCS schedule in a transitional year. Rice beat them 34-14, San Jose beat them 52-24, La Tech beat them 51-27, and Utah State beat them 48-17. They did beat Idaho, the worst FBS team, by 7. They have never traveled across the country for a game and its our homecoming.

4-1

FAU - is a dreadful program that has won a total of 3 games against FBS teams over the last two years. It will be a homecoming game for half our team. Their offense has been not very good. They lost their senior starting QB who was about their only offensive bright spot.

5-1

MTSU - I think this will be a dogfight. They return just as much as we do, we play at their place, they will take it as a big game to see where they stand in the conference. With that said, we will see it as an opportunity to show them where we stand in the conference. They went 8-4 but actually gave up more points than they scored.  They gave up 30 points to a woeful Memphis team and got shut out 45-0 by Arkansas State to end the season. I don't think they have the offensive firepower to stay with us.

6-1

USM - 2012 was bad for them. They have talent, but they go in to this year with their 3rd HC and schemes in 3 years and no clear front runner for QB coming out is spring. We won't beat them like last year, but we should beat them.

7-1

UAB - last years headscrather game. I think UAB will be decent this year, but not good enough in Huntington were we have handle them every time. Losing Burdette in the middle on D will be big for them. He led the nation in tackles last year with 157 including 17 against us. They also lost Irvin, another LB and their second leading tackler. So the second level goes from their biggest strength to a weakness.

8-1

Tulsa - I will chalk Tulsa up as a loss just so people don't think I'm all sunshine, but there's a compelling case to be made for a Herd victory. They lost 9 starters on D, a D that was #1 in total D in the conference, but one that had real trouble with us. They also graduated that monster back we couldn't tackle. Don't be surprised when we actually win.

8-2

FIU - this program is a dumpster fire. They do have their QB back and he showed some promise last year, but new coach, an athletic department with problems, coming off a 3 win season, one against an FcS and one an OT win against Akron...

9-2

ECU - big game for all the east marbles and the right to play in the championship game. Cato versus Carden. Who's D improved the most. The games in Huntington are always close, except 2007 when we blew them up for our first win of the season in our 8th game. It's a toss up but I like us at home. We had them beat last year in Greenville but for a ridiculous 4th and 10 defensive call.

10-2.

I'm sure we will drop one we shouldn't, but I also think we'll beat Tulsa, so I stick with 10-2. We will host Rice in the championship game.

Which is why I've said anything less than 9 wins is failure.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am all in with you, however, it is understandable that people here are used to being let down.

I also do not think that the schedule we are playing is significantly weaker that the ones we have been playing HOWEVER we are of a higher strata than those teams.  Our guys will go in knowing that they can set the tone for a lot of those series. My son's baseball team hasn't been very good for the past few seasons, but there's one team they beat like a drum every game because they know that they can and the other team knows they will lose.  It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We need to set that same philosophy in motion now.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good post banker. 

It boils down to most fans aren't very informed or thoughtful
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline OHIO1804

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:40:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ohio - people like to fixate on the 2011 debacle but ignore that we beat them in 2009, 2010 and significantly outplayed them last year in a loss. We significantly out gained them but lost due to 2 TOs deep in their territory.  They graduated both starting corners and top backup, 3 starting Dlinemen, and top 2 linebackers as well as their kicker. On offense they graduated 3 linemen and their top WR. So if we were even with them last year, better sans turnovers...

True, Marshall won in 2009 and 2010 but don't forget it was by just 4 points in '09 and in 2010 Ohio lost by 1 after going for a 2pt conversion with no time left on the clock. And as for Marshall significantly outplaying Ohio last year I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

With the exception of 2011 the other 3 games have been extremely close, either team could have won. I would say the best unbiased assessment would be that these are two evenly matched teams who enjoy playing each other and (almost) always make it exciting. If I were a betting man I would not lay a penny down on this game.

Ohio had a record number of injuries last year which was bad at the time but it means that a lot of the younger guys got playing time. With the same coaching staff for 9 years Ohio has been able to establish a steady Red Shirt program so although there will always be starters lost to graduation their replacements are usually (RS)JRs or (RS)SRs that have been in the system for 3 years and have had playing time as a back up. Ohio's from 7 on D will be a question mark but don't automatically expect a big drop off. Solich had done a good job at building depth.

I think Marshall is in a good position to dominate the new version of the CUSA, it should be a good year for both clubs and hopefully another good one in Athens this year. Can't wait.

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good post banker. 

The vast majority of this board full of very informed and thoughtful fans predicted 8 wins last season. See how that works.
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On some other thread along these lines I said Marshall with go 11-1 in the regular season and win the CUSA title and a bowl game. I'll stick with that.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:12 AM »

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 02:52:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm predicting either 9-3 or 8-4 and I agree with most of your predictions but I'm thinking we slip up once or twice. I wouldn't necessarily say we should beat Ohio they are usually very competitive and fired up for the game and it shows. Also agree with the ECU game that one might be a tough one.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good post banker. 

I think a lot of fans are being cautious, considering what in occurred basketball and past football futility.

Offline jstherd

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 07:45:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Right on Banker, right on. You nailed it. The skeptics will, by mid season, discover that you are correct. Thank you for an outstanding post.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 07:46:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Right on Banker, right on. You nailed it. The skeptics will, by mid season, discover that you are correct. Thank you for an outstanding post.

I hope you're right.

Offline svherd

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't we see posts every year saying we'll win 9-10 games. I know its been that way for years. Lets hope this year, everyone is on the money.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdman

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

1-0

Garner Webb

2-0

3-0

3-1

4-1

5-1

6-1

7-1

8-1

8-2

9-2

10-2.

I have been so let down by MU football for the last 8 years or so, that I cannot make predictions like that. I appreciate your optimism. But, overflowing optimism has been turned off by recent and not so recent events. I agree we have recruited well, not so sure it is stellar and heads and shoulders above the competition, but is going well in recruiting. That being said, this coaching staff, had given me no reason to believe we will have a 10-2 season. I hope I am wrong. The schedule is certainly in our favor this year. But, until we prove we are a big time winner again I will guard my optimism. I have been let down too many times.     

Offline banker

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And just for the record, I predicted we would go 6-6 last year and was roundly criticized for it. I based that on the fact that we were tremendously lucky to go 6-6 in 2011. We got every good bounce and could have easily been 2-10 or 3-9. 2012 was kind of the opposite. We went 5-7 but when you look at some of the things that caused those losses, specifically Ohio, Tulsa, Purdue and ECU, we could have just as easily been 8-4 last year.

I believe 2009 is the only year I have predicted a winning season since 2005. I just didn't realize in 2005 what probation and Snyder was goin to cost us.

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

1-0

Garner Webb

2-0

3-0

3-1

4-1

5-1

6-1

7-1

8-1

8-2

9-2

10-2.

I'll bet this won't happen...

GS.
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Offline shilolg

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Luv ya man!  Let's do it!

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 07:08:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And just for the record, I predicted we would go 6-6 last year and was roundly criticized for it. I based that on the fact that we were tremendously lucky to go 6-6 in 2011. We got every good bounce and could have easily been 2-10 or 3-9. 2012 was kind of the opposite. We went 5-7 but when you look at some of the things that caused those losses, specifically Ohio, Tulsa, Purdue and ECU, we could have just as easily been 8-4 last year.

I believe 2009 is the only year I have predicted a winning season since 2005. I just didn't realize in 2005 what probation and Snyder was goin to cost us.

More accurately, you said last off-season,

WCU, Memphis, UAB and Rice.  Those are our easy, and must win, games.

Think of that as an 4-0 start.

Then we have UCF, Houston, Tulsa and Ohio at home.  We should split those 4 at worst.

Think of that as 6-2.

That leaves us with wvu, Purdue, USM and ECU on the road.  Just steal one, hope for 2.

7-5 or 8-4.

Worst case scenario should be 6-6, best case would be 9-3.

Yeah... you kinda said 6-6... and then again, seems we could have finished 9-3 and you still would have given yourself a pat on the back for your Nostradamus-like insight.

Btw, the thread reveals no such criticism of your prediction. Maybe there were PMs, though. Or phone calls. Or someone ran over your cat. I dunno. But I'm sure there was some strong reaction, given the importance people seem to give to your prognostications.

Other finds when searching on "predict" and "banker"...

Hmmm. Nothing for 2011.

Hmmm again. Nothing for 2010.

Ahhh... here we go....

I would love to say Marshall, but I believe it will be Southern Miss and Houston in the Championship with Houston winning (at home).

I do believe that Marshall will finish second in the east at 6-2 (losses to USM and UCF).  USM will also be 6-2, but will beat us on the head to head tie breaker.  Houston finishes 7-1 to earn home field advantage. How's that for a specific prediction?

Houston in the championship. Brilliant, incisive selection. (Nevermind that they were the preseason pick to win it all.)

USM? Not close. Third place behind ECU and UCF.

Marshall 6-2 and tied for first? Nope. Fourth place.

Mark it down, we will beat Tulsa in a fashion similar to our UTEP win in the Joan in 2006 after they waxed us in El Paso in 2005.

My other bold prediction - we will beat ECU at their place this year barring a bend over job from the refs once again in NC (have we ever gotten a fair shake from the zebras in the Carolinas?).

On the down side, I don't agree with people who are saying we will beat USM or UCF.  Both are possible but I consider the two above to be much more likely.

Well, at least you were right about UCF, eh?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 07:08:34 PM »

Offline HerdKixButt

• All American
    « Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kudos for the enthusiasm but I won't believe the D and ST is better until I see something on the field. I hope you are right though.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so how many will we win this yr Sturt?

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so how many will we win this yr Sturt?

Me?

BHFI, I'm smart enough to know I'm smart but not that smart.

Others pretend to be that smart, and when outcomes prove otherwise, they try to weasel around the fact that they were proven not to be as smart as they pretended to be.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:08:13 PM by _sturt_ »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »