Author Topic: Daily Mail: Dubai Bowl? Say it isn't so  (Read 486 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
Daily Mail: Dubai Bowl? Say it isn't so
« on: June 18, 2013, 04:40:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    by Derek Redd
    Sports writer

Don't be surprised if, over the next few weeks, you see me sitting behind a table of desserts on the sidewalk outside the Daily Mail offices.

Those cupcakes are my ticket to the Dubai Bowl.

College football in the home of the International Cricket Council? That's just one of the potential new bowl sites reportedly being considered by the so-called "Group of Five" athletic conferences - Conference USA, Sun Belt, Mountain West, American and Mid-American. According to ESPN.com, those conferences are growing nervous that, once major college football moves to a four-team playoff in 2014, the "Power Five" conferences - the Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, SEC and Pac-12 - will snatch up too many of the existing bowl slots and leave the smaller conferences home for the winter.

So the Group of Five is mulling over the creation of new bowls in up to nine new sites. Some make sense - Orlando, Miami, Boca Raton and Los Angeles. Some aren't the first cities you'd think of as bowl headquarters - Little Rock, Ark. and Montgomery, Ala. And some make you wonder if you were on "Candid Camera" - either Toronto or Nassau, Bahamas, Dublin, Ireland or ... I can't believe I'm even typing this ... Dubai.

Link: http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/MUSports/201306170178
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

Daily Mail: Dubai Bowl? Say it isn't so
    « on: June 18, 2013, 04:40:19 AM »

Offline dshoe

Re: Daily Mail: Dubai Bowl? Say it isn't so
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline tazz60

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks Dan.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It isn't so......Idle ramblings of a displaced bowl operator...

Any word on the Boca and/or Orlando bowls?  It also seems like some of the upstart networks are trying to get into bowl games. 

Offline cincyherd

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was thinking that maybe a rich guy from Dubai just want to have a bowl game.  Does anyone remember back about 40 years when a rich middle eastern guy wanted to buy the Texas A&M band? 

Offline dshoe

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any word on the Boca and/or Orlando bowls?  It also seems like some of the upstart networks are trying to get into bowl games. 

Boca has a very real chance of getting started as does Montgomery...... Orlando a possibility

HerdFans.com

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »