Author Topic: Billy Crystal  (Read 1076 times)

Online hookem herd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • All American
  • Member Since 01/2010
Billy Crystal
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Greg Adkins

HerdFans.com

Billy Crystal
    « on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:37 PM »

Offline goherd24

Re: Billy Crystal
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:36:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Had no idea he went to MU. Good stuff.

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I loved the smile on his face when speaking of the days there. That was good stuff.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Glad to see him being friendly toward us.   I heard that, as a young comic, he used a lot of jokes about Huntington being backward and anti-semetic.

Offline firstate

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:01:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In early 90's...referred to where he went to school as "a podunk university back east"....in one of his routines....

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe he lived at the Pritchard and was a recruited baseball player???? Not sure, just rumor.
    No political dreamer was ever wild enough to think of breaking down the lines which separate the States and compounding the American people into one common mass.
    John Marshall (1755 - 1835)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure if he was a scholarship player or not but I do believe he was on the team. Also read somewhere a long time ago that he has mentioned he loved eating at Monty's.

Offline kjh

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone should involve Billy Crystal in the vision campaign, or at least get a sizeable Big Green Donation from him. Did he graduate from Marshall?

Offline kjh

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline iherdya

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone should involve Billy Crystal in the vision campaign, or at least get a sizeable Big Green Donation from him. Did he graduate from Marshall?

No, he came here to play baseball, we dropped the program after his freshman season, so he left.

Offline svherd

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I dont think we dropped baseball, at least I never heard that. I think he just left after one year. I would hope at some point, we'd send him an MU baseball cap or jersey just as momento.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline iherdya

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I dont think we dropped baseball, at least I never heard that. I think he just left after one year. I would hope at some point, we'd send him an MU baseball cap or jersey just as momento.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/shysterball/article/has-billy-crystal-embellished-his-baseball-resume/

Billy has long claimed the program was suspended after his first year. He graduated hs in 65, so 65-66 would've been his first year, our coach that year was Bob Kruthoffer, who was replaced the following season by Jack Cook. Maybe Jack decided not to keep Billy around, or maybe Billy just decided to stay in NY over his summer break with his future wife.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

There has been several attempts to reach out to him. I know they sent him a very nice jacket when they started the first capital campaign and he sent back a thank you note. I think Crystal acknowledges his time here with mixed feelings, some good, some bad...and while he may be a good person who will mention us every now and again, he has indicated no interest in being a significant supporter so far as I know. 

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No different than any other kid that enrolls and leaves after year one. Really, not much of a relationship to an institution when you are three years removed from graduation. How close are any of us to the community college attended for a couple of semesters in a state that you have no connection to. Can't revive something that never existed.

Offline svherd

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 11:54:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/shysterball/article/has-billy-crystal-embellished-his-baseball-resume/

Billy has long claimed the program was suspended after his first year. He graduated hs in 65, so 65-66 would've been his first year, our coach that year was Bob Kruthoffer, who was replaced the following season by Jack Cook. Maybe Jack decided not to keep Billy around, or maybe Billy just decided to stay in NY over his summer break with his future wife.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/shysterball/article/has-billy-crystal-embellished-his-baseball-resume/

If I'm not mistaken, Crystal played for coach Cook. Speaking of coach Cook, I seen him at Krogers and we had a long talk about the good ole days. You wouldn't believe coach Cook is 87 yrs of age, he looks awesome!. I played baseball with his son Chip, we go a long ways back.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I'm not mistaken, Crystal played for coach Cook. Speaking of coach Cook, I seen him at Krogers and we had a long talk about the good ole days. You wouldn't believe coach Cook is 87 yrs of age, he looks awesome!. I played baseball with his son Chip, we go a long ways back.

Crystal graduated from Long Beach High School in NY in 1965, which means he would've been a freshman at Marshall in 1965-1966 when Bob Kruthoff was in his lone season as our head coach, per the Marshall baseball media guide. Jack Cook was the coach in 1955, then was hired again for the 1966-1967 season and he stayed until retiring in 1990, making way for Howard McCann. I guess Cook may have been an assistant for the Herd during Billy's one season here, but that's not listed in the media guide.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »