Author Topic: Sports Mag breakdown  (Read 736 times)

Offline W0lfman

Sports Mag breakdown
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Athlon: West, 1. Tulsa; 2. Rice; 3. Louisiana Tech; 4. UTEP; 5. Tulane; 6. North Texas; 7. UTSA. East, 1. Marshall; 2. East Carolina; 3. Middle Tennessee; 4. UAB; 5. Southern Miss; 6. Florida Atlantic; 7. Florida International.

Lindy's: West, 1. Tulsa; 2. Rice; 3. UTEP; 4. Louisiana Tech; 5. North Texas; 6. Tulane; 7. UTSA. East, 1. East Carolina; 2. Middle Tennessee; 3. Marshall; 4. UAB; 6. Southern Miss; 6. Florida Atlantic; 7. Florida International

Phil Steele: West, 1. Tulsa; 2. Rice; 3. Tulane; 4(t). Louisiana Tech; 4(t). North Texas; 6. UTEP; 7. UTSA. East, 1. Marshall; 2. East Carolina; 3. Southern Miss; 3(t). UAB; 5. Middle Tennessee; 6. Florida Atlantic; 6.(t) Florida International.

Sporting News: West, 1. Tulsa; 2. Rice; 3. Louisiana Tech; 4. UTEP; 5. North Texas; 6. Tulane; 7. UTSA. East, 1. East Carolina; 2. Middle Tennessee; 3. Marshall; 4. Southern Miss; 5. UAB; 6. Florida Atlantic; 7. Florida International.

HerdFans.com

Sports Mag breakdown
    « on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »

Offline svherd

Re: Sports Mag breakdown
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obviously some are not sold on Heater fixing our defense in his first year. Totally understand that. He has a tall order. I think we'll be fine.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Heater has his work set out for him.  One of the big issues is giving the defense enough reps, preparation, coaching, etc. without sacrificing on the offensive or ST side.  Gotta find the balance that ensures offensive firepower but improves both the defense and ST play.  May be short a few playmakers on D to really trun it around.  Anxious to see that pass rush.  I hope Doc can find the balance and Heater can pull it off.

I'm looking forward to a great season, seeing some new teams on the schedule, the CUSA Championship race, and a bowl game. 

Offline Greg H

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we have a decent and maturing core at DL (Taylor named in the CFPA watch list).  We have what looks to be a pretty good linebacking corps, with Holmes (CFPA watchlist) and some really nice new additions in the backfield, not to mention Hunter.  We have the tools (after a few games' experience) to have a really decent secondary.  Bottom line?  I think the tools are in place for an improvement from 125 on defense to maybe 85, just on experience and personnel alone.  If Heater, et.al. are awesome, we could jump into the 60's with our schedule.  Assuming the O comes back as good or better, and I think that's a safe assumption, then there is only 1 team on our schedule that SHOULD beat us.  There are probably 7 teams we SHOULD beat.  So, I think we're really in the hunt for the east...which I predict we will win.

Offline Collis P

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At least we do not play the predicted 2nd, 3rd, or 4th West Div teams this year....
    S M I L E -

Offline goherdies

• Varsity
    « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we have a decent and maturing core at DL (Taylor named in the CFPA watch list).  We have what looks to be a pretty good linebacking corps, with Holmes (CFPA watchlist) and some really nice new additions in the backfield, not to mention Hunter.  We have the tools (after a few games' experience) to have a really decent secondary.  Bottom line?  I think the tools are in place for an improvement from 125 on defense to maybe 85, just on experience and personnel alone.  If Heater, et.al. are awesome, we could jump into the 60's with our schedule.  Assuming the O comes back as good or better, and I think that's a safe assumption, then there is only 1 team on our schedule that SHOULD beat us.  There are probably 7 teams we SHOULD beat.  So, I think we're really in the hunt for the east...which I predict we will win.

Honestly I think it will be difficult for the offense to be as good as last year.  Last year it was new to everyone we were playing.  This year everyone will have seen it and have a full year's worth of game tape.  Plus we lost some very good receivers.  If the offense is close to as good as last year everyone should be pleased.   Losing Dobson and Evans will hurt.

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am expecting a quantum leap in the D and a bit of a drop in the O this year.  I do expect more run/pass balance and think we will be a strong two-headed beast, but that people will be more ready for us than last year.

New Def Coordinator who is recognized as a great teacher.  Experience and depth, not to mention skill and size, in the secondary for the first time in years leading to a more aggressive style of pass coverage.  I think we are going to be in real good shape at the Linebacker position as well.  Last year we were one of the very youngest teams in the country...This year those kids have experience and another year working on bulk, strength and speed heading into a year with a schedule that could hardly be set up any better.

Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ..This year those kids have experience and another year working on bulk, strength and speed heading into a year with a schedule that could hardly be set up any better.

^^^^^I agree if you can't win with these kids and this schedule I don't know what to tell you.
    "The Herd #1"

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »