Author Topic: Marshall is now tobacco free  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Herdthedrums1

• Junior Varsity
Marshall is now tobacco free
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As of today Marshall is now a tobacco free campus, Says it will be strictly enforced with citations/fines, thoughts.http://www.marshallparthenon.com/tobacco-free-policy-moves-to-faculty-senate-1.2809758#.UdHpXozD-Uk

HerdFans.com

Marshall is now tobacco free
    « on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »

Offline Greg H

Re: Marshall is now tobacco free
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Moronic.  I'll still have a chew in my mouth at games.  F em.

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I don't smoke so I really don't have an 'dog in this fight" but I do understand the real purpose on these laws. 
    Just another way to assert their power over us.   

More people will no longer to bother attending sporting events due to this than those that come.

Passed no smoking in the local bars here a couple of years back.   1/2 of them in town are closed up.    Of course, the elite will tell you they would have failed.  The reality is that many just stay home and smoke and drink.   

Another liberty taken.   Another victory for those that rule us. 

The tobacco testing starts next year for those of us that will be in obamacare.  of course, the goverment workers won't be in it and won't be tested and "charged" the appropirate rate (I beleive 45% surcharge is projected).  it's for the "good of the chidren" so it's all good.   
    “This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.” —Adolf Hitler, 1935

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

Offline Greg H

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't smoke so I really don't have an 'dog in this fight" but I do understand the real purpose on these laws. 

More people will no longer to bother attending sporting events due to this than those that come.

Passed no smoking in the local bars here a couple of years back.   1/2 of them in town are closed up.    Of course, the elite will tell you they would have failed.  The reality is that many just stay home and smoke and drink.   

The tobacco testing starts next year for those of us that will be in obamacare.  of course, the goverment workers won't be in it and won't be tested and "charged" the appropirate rate (I beleive 45% surcharge is projected).  it's for the "good of the chidren" so it's all good.   

This ^^^^^

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does this mean that students can no longer grow tobacco plants in their dorm room closet?

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • that is correct.   

If MU was in CA or CO they could grow big ole honking hemp plants but no tobacco plants.   

“This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.” —Adolf Hitler, 1935

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It doesn't apply to sporting events.  There is something in there about if a certain percentage of people attending are not faculty/staff or students, then it doesn't apply.  It is self policed though, no fines, nothing they can do to you so it's not like you will go to jail.

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You always start with "exceptions".   Like gun control you know if won't pass if you lay all the cards on the table up front.

After a wait a while you start elminating the exceptions.  The first will be to start fining or ticketing vialotors.  After that's in effect a while you eliminate the smoking exemption for sporting events or maybe make it a non fineable violation at first.    After a while you eliminate that and you have what, likely never would have passed, if submitted as a final product.   great tool to exert your will and force as a ruler and generates good revenue from tickets.   

Bars and Taverns were exempted in my town when the no smoking was first passed.   That exemption was eliminated 2 years ago.  Now they are talking about banning it in vehicles that drive through town and they also have banned it on all public owned lands.   

'it's for the safety of the children" after all.

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't really care if people smoke outside, the problem I have is when 20 people stand right by the door and smoke so I have to walk right through it.  You were already supposed to be 20 feet from the door but no one ever did that.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It doesn't apply to sporting events.  There is something in there about if a certain percentage of people attending are not faculty/staff or students, then it doesn't apply.  It is self policed though, no fines, nothing they can do to you so it's not like you will go to jail.

http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/board/files/2013/02/MUBOG-GA-8-Tobacco-Policy-2013-06.pdf

Pretty short and sweet policy, like you said no punishment.

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:38:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't know why anyone wants to put that %^&* in their body.

Offline Herdthedrums1

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm interested to see how it will work once the majority of students come back. Im on campus for summer classes and still see people smoking. I really didn't have a problem with the smokers, I just walked around them or took another path if the smoke started to bother me.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »

Offline extragreen

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Don't know why anyone wants to put that %^&* in their body.

Do you drink alcohol?

Some of us started smoking with no intention of continuing to smoke. I started smoking about 40 years ago, but only when I was drinking. Turned into a nasty, very addictive habit, and don't underestimate what I mean by very addictive. Just the thought of trying to stop smoking would upset me, even though I knew it would be best for me to quit. Fortunately, my wife talked me into trying an e-cigarette (electronic cigarette), even when I thought it was a waste of time and money. I used to be a pack a day smoker, totally quit smoking regular cigarettes 2 weeks after purchasing the e-cig and haven't smoked one in about 3 months. One of the best parts is that it wasn't really a struggle with the help of the e-cig. So glad my wife talked me into trying it. If you know someone wanting to quit, please let them know about this tool they can use. If not for this, I probably would have died still smoking. **Costs considerably less than tobacco cigarettes is another advantage**
    Your self-determinism and honor are more important than your immediate life.

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I smoked for almost 20 years, up the 3 packs a day. I quit cold turkey 20 years ago in April. Nasty habit that is very intrusive on others right to breath smoke free air. Also, many smokers think that the streets and sidewalks are their ashtrays. Smoke free tobacco is some nasty stuff when those that don't respect others, spit wherever they feel like it.
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 05:52:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you drink alcohol?

Some of us started smoking with no intention of continuing to smoke. I started smoking about 40 years ago, but only when I was drinking. Turned into a nasty, very addictive habit, and don't underestimate what I mean by very addictive. Just the thought of trying to stop smoking would upset me, even though I knew it would be best for me to quit. Fortunately, my wife talked me into trying an e-cigarette (electronic cigarette), even when I thought it was a waste of time and money. I used to be a pack a day smoker, totally quit smoking regular cigarettes 2 weeks after purchasing the e-cig and haven't smoked one in about 3 months. One of the best parts is that it wasn't really a struggle with the help of the e-cig. So glad my wife talked me into trying it. If you know someone wanting to quit, please let them know about this tool they can use. If not for this, I probably would have died still smoking. **Costs considerably less than tobacco cigarettes is another advantage**

I'm trying to stay as healthy as possible I'm not into drinking, smoking, or drugs. I prefer to face challenges and not have to have an escape. But I'm not that smart so what do I know.

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't why this is such a complicated thing to understand? Smoking kills people and has been proven to kill those exposed to it. Look, I smoked for 15 years, and I could enjoy one right now, but the facts are the facts. Smoking is very intrusive, unlike chewing tobacco, it affects everyone around you. Smoking costs our healthcare system billions of dollars a year, so why not make those that choose to smoke pay more?

As far as the use of alcohol, it's about moderation. Drinking in moderation has proven to be beneficial to your health.
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Smoking is an almost impossible thing to defend.  Kind of like coal fired power plants.  Don't smoke and never have but I know this is not the only thing they'll stop at.    You don't stop government zealots with just "one bad habit" elminated.

Smoking, guns, fatty foods, soft drinks, fireworks (in my area), hunting, red meat, coal, fracking, etc.   You don't take a little "freedom"
    from the peasants.   You keep taking and taking and taking.

of course,  no problem in aborting third tri-mester babies and leaving our kids $17,000,000,000,000 in debt.  Those are "enlightened" activities. 

Offline Greg H

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we should ban, with a punishment of death, anything that is bad for people or costs the government money.  Then we'll live in Utopia, right?

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't why this is such a complicated thing to understand? Smoking kills people and has been proven to kill those exposed to it. Look, I smoked for 15 years, and I could enjoy one right now, but the facts are the facts. Smoking is very intrusive, unlike chewing tobacco, it affects everyone around you. Smoking costs our healthcare system billions of dollars a year, so why not make those that choose to smoke pay more?

As far as the use of alcohol, it's about moderation. Drinking in moderation has proven to be beneficial to your health.

Umm the insurance of smokers costs more, except within the new Obamacare. They just got an excemption due to a "glitch."

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My parents both smoked. I tried it while in grade school. Then occasionally smoked in Jr. High. Moved to Htgn, got in with non smoking group, no smokes at HEHS.

At Marshall, on way to Myrtle Beach after first year, my turn to drive came about midnight or 2 AM. Stopped at Glass House in Beckley, then was pack & a half for next 25 years or so.

Sat with my Mother through lung operation at Cabell Htgn. Decided to quit. Tried everything, then spent $300 for a group effort. Worked for me because of motivation. Did not work for co worker, he tried hypno, acupuncture, etc.

My last puff was Memorial Day 1990. Sweaty palms, anxiety, etc. Walked the beach in Maui at 2AM. Never smoked since.

IT was difficult, and as the class back then said, a Puff Away from a Pack a Day.

Have known many with COPD and the cost is horrible to the healthcare system for Medicare and it's lousy for the person with it. Have relatives and local neighbors who are afflicted.

I applaud the decision and hope for the health of all the students and residents the result will be fewer folks with the problems.

Offline k00laid

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I got to watch my dad die from it, I have some fairly serious health issues stemming from my mom smoking while pregnant with me back when that was considered acceptable and 18 years of living in a home with secondary smoke.  For those reasons I am absolutely for any practice or policy to stop this in public spaces.  It does effect others, not just you.
    Let's Go Herd!

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we should ban, with a punishment of death, anything that is bad for people or costs the government money.  Then we'll live in Utopia, right?

So it's ok to blow carcinogens into the faces of those people who choose not to smoke? Or is it ok to expose kids, who have no choice to those same carcinogens?

But then again, if you choose to smoke, you have punished yourself to death, at least a premature one!
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Ben Franklin

All of the liberties we have lost the last 30 years have not been lost by being vanquished in battle but given up freely.  Every liberty lost will never be regained.  

Smoking is difficult to defend but then again so are guns, fatty foods, alchohol, free speech, religious freedom, soda, property rights, internet freedom, travel and investment freedoms, freedom from government mandates and edicts.  

"your ox may be gored next".  

I know that millions have died horrible and painful deaths because of smoking.  I also know that innocent people such as the kids and servers were exposed and had no choice.   However,  I also know that it's a personal responsiblity and freedom issue more than the power play issue it has become.   Many of these rules/regs passed to "protect" us exempt the rulers that make the law.   

That's how I define an issue as whether it's really in the public interest.  If you pass a law, ordianance, regulation and you exempt yourself you know it's not really in the public's best interest.   obamacare, EPLI, tax laws and regulations, gun permits, traffic/parking laws, pensions, etc are all passed but exempt the rulers that made them. 

My guess is that somewhere in the bowels of Marshall are areas that the leaders can smoke away like bandits while the peasants are protected from the danger.   Not as blatant of a situation as the carry permits, pensions and healthcare but still a strong indicator. 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:27:05 AM by spaldy »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »