Author Topic: Public swimming pool etiquette  (Read 1415 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Public swimming pool etiquette
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I encountered an interesting thread today on another forum. I'm going to put the OP's post below and I changed the subject here to public swimming pool because I think it's applicable. What seemed like an innocent question sparked a heated debate. It was eye opening to read everyone's views and which side of the fence they sat on. I would be interested to see the responses here.

So I took the family to Six Flags Fiesta Texas this past week. We went to the water park on day 2 of our visit. Made sure we were one of the first to get in the water park without waiting forever. Anyway, we found a picnic table near the front of the park and near the lazy river. Central to the lay of the land so we could get back if we needed anything and in the shade as it was really hot this past week. Anyway, we layout our stuff on the table, two large bags, some towels and some extra clothes and head out for some fun. Come back about 90 min later to find that two other family had taken over our table. What the heck!

Kindly asked them to move on or move over as we were coming back to eat. We eat and leave only to come back and find that some "family reunion" group of about 20 people have over taken our table again. Had there stuff stacked on top of ours and treated us as the "invaders" we tried to get to our things. What the heck is going on!

Then the next day, we decided to take our belongings to some pool chairs in the back of the swim park. Same thing happens again. A family just plops down on our chairs with complete disregard that they are sitting on our clothes. REALLY! What is going on here. Is it okay now days to do this? I would rather sit on the ground than to take over someone's area. I know I saw other families carrying around their things looking for an empty table or set of chairs, so I know I'm not alone on this.

What would you have done? I'm a non confrontational so I would rather just move along than cause a huge stink over it, but I just want to know if is now proper theme park etiquette.

HerdFans.com

Public swimming pool etiquette
    « on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »

Offline Greg H

Re: Public swimming pool etiquette
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Easy.  Both parties are wrong.  The first for trying to lay claim to something, all day, and the second for disrespecting the people/property who were there first. 

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Easy.  Both parties are wrong.  The first for trying to lay claim to something, all day, and the second for disrespecting the people/property who were there first. 

Are you saying that if you took your family to the pool to spend the entire day and put your belongings on a couple chairs where you plan to go back and forth all day either swimming, lounging in the sun or eating lunch, etc that this is wrong to do?

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think it depends on where you are at.  If you are at the pool at beach fork then yes, it is acceptable to leave your stuff and no one will mess with it.  But if I were at Kings Island, there is no way I would leave my stuff and be gone for a long period of time.  I would be afraid someone would steal it first off, second it is kinda rude to try and hold a table when there are never enough to go around.  If you want to do that, take turns having someone stay at the table.

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:00:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I've been to several places that have large signage that says something to the effect that towels don't reserve chairs... people do. 

If that's the case where you were at and you were no where to be seen I think you were probably in the wrong.   If not, then it's more of a case of "might makes right" or possession is king. 

Have you considered a career in politics?   If you were a high ranking politician you'd just have the park closed all day for use by you and other important people.   They could also just block off the roads so you wouldn't have to wait in traffic.   A whole lot of perks to being a bourgeoisie versus a proliteriat ;D
    “This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.” —Adolf Hitler, 1935

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

Offline iherdya

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I've been to several places that have large signage that says something to the effect that towels don't reserve chairs... people do. 

If that's the case where you were at and you were no where to be seen I think you were probably in the wrong.   If not, then it's more of a case of "might makes right" or possession is king. 

Have you considered a career in politics?   If you were a high ranking politician you'd just have the park closed all day for use by you and other important people.   They could also just block off the roads so you wouldn't have to wait in traffic.   A whole lot of perks to being a bourgeoisie versus a proliteriat ;D

I've seen signs like that, mainly at the beach where people get up at 7am, put towels by the pool, then go back to bed and don't hit the pool until the afternoon.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anytime I take my family to a very highly populated event or place, 100% of the time someone in someway finds a way to be rude, inconsiderate, disrespectful or tries to pull something or take advantage.   

I'll show up early to find a nice parking spot, then 5-6 POSs will show up at the last minute and park illegally block me in.

Someone will be sitting in seats they don't belong in and find a way to be jackasses.

Someone will repeatedly kick the back of mine or my wifes seat during the show.

Someone will spill something.

I'll make sure my kids behave themselves while eating and we'll get put beside a family with a screaming baby and they just let it scream during a meal.

I'll be waiting for my kids to ride a ride and I'll watch some kid just shove his way through the line.

My kid will set something down at the pool and some other kid will take it.

Once I bought a newspaper to read at lunch.  I sat it down with my lunch and went to wash my hands came back and some random old man had taken it and was reading it. 

It's just the way things are nowadays.

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe you should just stay home Johnny...  ;D
    GO HERD!!!

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe you should just stay home Johnny...  ;D

Or quit going to Morgantown on vacation

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I found it interesting in the original thread on the other forum that several accused the OP of a strong sense of entitlement, being a squatter and laying "claim" to a public peice of property while several others looked at the people that would take over someone's spot as having an entitement mindset and feeling that they should have equal time on the public property that was meant for sharing.

For me, I've always fealt that there was an unwritten code. If I showed up and all the chairs are taken, then I'll lay my towel out on the ground and set up camp there. Maybe I might think to myself that if I get there a little earlier tomorrow that I might be able to get a chair. Never in a million years would I consider moving someone else's possessions or sit on top of them like the OP experienced.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No real win in the situation.  That is why I just can't go to places like that.  What is supposed to be a fun day usually just ends up pissing me off.   ;D
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last summer while vacationing in Florida, people in our complex were horrible about getting out on the beach early and putting towels on the chairs and then leaving. There were some instances where I never saw anyone use the chairs, but there they sat with towels on them. I spend a lot of time on the beach and for me to not see them means they were just being assholes. Hell anyone who sees my instagram or facebook posts know that I'm there from about 10am to 4pm, or 12 beers, whichever comes first.  ;D. Anyway, I vowed that I wouldn't be shutout this year. Found a nice beach rental service that set up my chairs and umbrella every morning in the same exact spot every day. All I had to do was haul my cooler down to the beach. He did the rest. Well worth the 100 bucks for the week.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All I had to do was haul my cooler down to the beach. He did the rest. Well worth the 100 bucks for the week.

Roger that....Personally, I like making the sweeping 90* turn up the beach.....back the GMC back to the tide line, and drop the tailgate....  8)
    No political dreamer was ever wild enough to think of breaking down the lines which separate the States and compounding the American people into one common mass.
    John Marshall (1755 - 1835)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of the beach... no matter what time of year I go it always seems once I set up my spot, some Jersey Shore family and their "yutes" or some French Canadians always set up their camp right friggin beside me. Even if there's 50 yards of empty beach I seem to be a magnet for the most obnoxious families to be beside. Blaring boom boxes, F-Bombs, cigarette smoke, stupidity, stretch marks and squalling kids.

I know, I know...

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Normally when I go to places with huge crowds, I just prepare myself to let things slide and be the "bigger" person.

BGA, If you want a "private" beach setting.  I recommend the National Seashore Refuge in the Cape Canaveral / Coco Beach FL area.  You pay $5 per vehicle to get in and there are miles of beaches to set up and enjoy.  You'd be surprised how many people won't pay 5 bucks.  Probably 10 miles of beach and maybe 30-50 vehicles in the whole area. 

You have to go through a gate with wildlife officers so that discourages the IV drug users, wallet snatchers and fist fighters.

http://www.nps.gov/cana/planyourvisit/outdooractivities.htm

Beaches. The seashore has undeveloped beaches and limited services. There are no designated picnic areas, phones, food, or drinking water. These beaches have restrooms and boardwalk access. Beach access points for visitors with disabilities are at Playalinda Beach: Eddy Creek and Parking Area No. 8; and at Apollo Beach: Areas No. 1 and No. 5. First aid and drinking water are at information centers. Surfing is permitted in the park. You may reach Klondike Beach only by foot (a back country permit is required). Seashore areas may be closed if parking lots are filled or during shuttle launches at the Kennedy Space Center. For recorded information on launch closures at Playalinda Beach, call 321-867-4077.

Scenic Drive The six-mile self-guided Black Point Wildlife Drive in the refuge meanders through pine flatwoods and impounded marsh and provides excellent views of many species of wildlife.

Camping Back country camping is permitted at the North District of the park, New Smyrna Beach, FL, located in Volusia County. Visitors may make reservations by calling the Visitor Information Center at (386) 428-3384 extension "0".

Offline svherd

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When we go to the beach, the first day there we always reserve a couple of chairs and umbrella. On HHI its about $40.00 for the week and well worth it.

Personally, in a public pool setting, we wouldn't leave our stuff on park tables or chairs - too many chances of items getting stolen or "misplaced". Now placing a towel on the lawn or sunbathing area - I wouldn't have an issue leaving the basics there all day while we were in the pool or getting something to eat.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Used to go to Florida.   During obamanomics our family has discovered the  TVA lakes in our part of the country.  They are beautiful and uncrowded.   I've been on KY lake in the middle of the week and not seen another boat or person in the cove we are in for an  hour.  Kind of like having you own private lake.   Might be worth looking into.  A whole lot cheaper and less crowded and the people are friendlier.
    “This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.” —Adolf Hitler, 1935

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

Offline Greg H

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I strongly recommend the Rex Granadian resort (yes, in Grenada).  None of these problems.  Stayed there once when I was in the Army, on your tax dollars.  VERY private beach.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »