Author Topic: How many of you...  (Read 1472 times)

Offline ThunderValley

Re: How many of you...
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1959-1962 Played end, guard and tackle. Sat on the end of the bench, guarded the water cooler and tackled anyone trying to get a drink.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I started my football career the year Tecmo Bowl came out.  Never stopped playing.  Me and Bo Jackson scored a lot of touchdowns on that game.

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From 5th grade on. Nose Guard and Center.
    Coached football ( HC ) for 20 years in Florida. 4 State Championships
    Coached basketball over 20years. 1 State Championship
    Coached baseball 10 years.
    Coached swimming too when my daughters swam.
    Spent the last 10 years of my career as the schools Athletic Director.

Offline tazz60

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played 12 years. Four as a middle guard at Marshall - lettered 3 years for the HERD. Graduated with a BBA in 4 years.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Eye opening thread....

One of my pet peeves I ve ran into while talking football at bars and causally, is you get these goobers that claim to have had a football scholarship to Marshall but turned it down....

One of the best players from my High School team tried to walk on Jim Donnan's team and they pretty much laughed at him after a workout....

Offline GoHerd2010

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played baseball from age 5-18..definitely not good enough to get any scholarships. Was always too small to play football

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played two years of little league.  The final year at QB in which we were undefeated and unscored on for the season.  Figured it could only go downhill from there so I retired at age 12.
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

Offline exanimate

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 07:19:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Final year was midget league A team. Then put my energy into being a juvenile delinquent until I got to High School. Then focused on school, soccer and a female. Not necessarily in that order.

Offline onaherdfanatic

• Rookie
    « Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played seven years total from little league up thru end of junior high. Played for malcolm springs mustangs (ona) and ona jr high panthers. Gave it up in high school
    It ain't easy bein' green!

Offline Collis P

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I played Junior High, and 4 years HS - drafted and played 4 years military........Air Force in the Far East and Europe...........Long, Long time ago...........Lol
    S M I L E -

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Midget league through Jr High. We moved in the winter of my 9th grade year and I didn't play again until my senior year. Wish I hadn't sat out those couple years.

Just a side note, my love of football started when I was a 5 year old living on West River road in Westmoreland. I lived a few houses down from the Smith girls (anyone from that area around 1969-1972 probably knows who I'm talking about) and the older girls used to babysit me. That right there could be the pinnacle of this story but it's about football. ;D

Vinson/Kellogg held their midget league practices in the field beside the Smith's house in front of the flood wall and when I was there I would hang out on the field and run sprints and do jumping jacks, etc along side the bigger boys. I wanted to play so bad but I was still too young. The coaches were nice and let me hang around even though I was probably a pest.

Offline mxman870

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jr. high thru high school. Some of the most fun I ever had in my life. Coached youth league for 6 years too.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played from 7th - 12th grade, lettered 3 years, made playoffs 3 consecutive years, main position was OLB in the 4-4 and 5-2 defenses, played sparingly as a slotback and halfback in the Houston VEER-T offense, played fullback (7th/8th grade) in the WISHBONE.

Also, I have attended several Coaching Clinics (Nike & Glazier).  In addition, I have a subscription to "American Football Monthly".   ;D  ;D  ;D

Glory Days...
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Online luvherd

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Midget league through Jr High. We moved in the winter of my 9th grade year and I didn't play again until my senior year. Wish I hadn't sat out those couple years.

Just a side note, my love of football started when I was a 5 year old living on West River road in Westmoreland. I lived a few houses down from the Smith girls (anyone from that area around 1969-1972 probably knows who I'm talking about) and the older girls used to babysit me. That right there could be the pinnacle of this story but it's about football. ;D

Vinson/Kellogg held their midget league practices in the field beside the Smith's house in front of the flood wall and when I was there I would hang out on the field and run sprints and do jumping jacks, etc along side the bigger boys. I wanted to play so bad but I was still too young. The coaches were nice and let me hang around even though I was probably a pest.

Played many a sandlot game there. My youth league was practiced by League 1. When we were 12 went undefeated. Go Tigers!

PS Jayna or Lisa? There brother was a stud basketball player.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline jamez009

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • East Hardy Cougars, class of '88

~j

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1971-1976 - QB1, Safety and Punter for Beverly Hills JR Hi in 8th and 9th grades, then backup to incumbent John Wilson at HEHS in all three positions for two years then Tight end as a Sr.
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:47:52 AM by IM4DHERD »
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 09:42:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Midget league and high school and was a tackling dummy for most of that time.  With that said, I'm not a mechanic either but I know how to sit in a car and tell if it is a piece of junk or not.  Just sayin'.......

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MUPE84

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did not play football.  Played Pee-Wee baseball through High School.   3 years Jr. High and 1 year High School basketball.  Oh yeah.... I played approx. 10 years sandlot baseball/whiffleball and hit 2223 homers.  ;D 

Offline goherd24

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Football in high school, some DE, OLB and kicker.we never once kicked a field goal in a game, did however, make 44 yarders in practice several times, was pretty much the limit of my range. Also played baseball in high school, andbasketball until high school, I was a terrivle shot but could dunk with 1 step and pretty good rebounder and defender, but embarrassing at everything else basketball wise lol.

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played midget league, middle school, and high school football. 2nd team all state. Had letters of interest (Marshall, WVU, EKU, Fairmont State, and Morehead State) with some walk-on invites. Obviously I would have continued playing if I had gotten a scholarship offer. Just didnt happen. Ended up taking a few years off after High School before going back to school.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• QB13...played from grade 5 midget league thru grade 12.  Turned down a full ride at wvu to pump gas at exxon in kenova.  Best decision I ever made.

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 10:55:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played Jr High and High School. Made it to two State Championships. Was a Free Safety and returned punts and kick offs.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 10:55:48 PM »

Offline pdunn

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I filled a uniform up for two years in HS.  After the second year I realized that was about the extent of my athletic potential.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline IH8WVU

• All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I know what I am talking about.

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Midget league, Jr High, High School......"pulling guard", Outside linebacker and D end..... coached youth league six years.
    No political dreamer was ever wild enough to think of breaking down the lines which separate the States and compounding the American people into one common mass.
    John Marshall (1755 - 1835)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »