Author Topic: Big Back.....  (Read 1898 times)

Offline herd2win

Big Back.....
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Watching Rice and also MTSU the other day, I think that we could use a big back.  I am also wondering why we don't get creative and use Gator in the back field.

HerdFans.com

Big Back.....
    « on: October 31, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    Re: Big Back.....
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• #47 Devon Johnson would destroy anyone on our own defense.
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:06:43 AM by biggreenarms »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why not use him???  We need to be more creative on offense.

Offline Killer Buffalo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:14:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems like everyone forgets Johnson. He was a running back in high school too. A darned good running back at that.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree about the big back idea....A big back effects an opponent's secondary players in a lot of ways....Really big stud all the CBs will dread tackling him....Big back tires a defense and sometimes gets them to break....

However, I don't like the idea of Gator running the ball, at all, because we need him running routes and being a reliable option for Cato on 3rd down.  We only have him and Shuler that we can trust to catch a critical pass. 

Putting him at FB could get him injured and miss games.  It's not like he isn't effective at TE and needs to be moved to get him involved.

You could always throw to him laterally or WR screen that's basically the same effect of a run play in space.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • #47 Devon Johnson would destroy anyone on our own defense.

Agree. 
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline herdcase

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 10:38:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is another classical reason why everyone gets upset with this coaching staff. DJ was a beast in spring and fall practice with coaching promises of utilizing his immense talent to run over people or block as a fullback in a 2 back system; but like our current President, promises made are not kept.
    What day is it? Game day! What day? Game day! Play till the whistle blows!!!!

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many times in the last few years have we failed in short yardage situations where gaining the 1st down or scoring a TD instead of a FG could have been the difference in the game?  Very frustrating handing off to a 185lb RB up the middle with no lead blocker and consistently getting stopped.  Probably makes no sense to have a short yardage package with 245lb Gator lead blocking for 245lb Johnson.

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Probably makes no sense to have a short yardage package with 245lb Gator lead blocking for 245lb Johnson.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I think people must have forgotten two promises as well as forgetting about the 265 lb fullback from Tulsa last year that we couldn't stop with 5 defenders.
    "The Herd #1"

Offline greenanwhite

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 08/2013
    « Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is all the same reason we do not put a receiver in motion or run any trick plays... It's like the coaching staff thinks that we are a young team that needs to run base offense all of the time.. Drives me crazy to hear announcers say week in an week out how a team putting a receiver in motion creates mismatches and confusion for the defense.   

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is all the same reason we do not put a receiver in motion or run any trick plays... It's like the coaching staff thinks that we are a young team that needs to run base offense all of the time...  

Or could it be.....our head coach was inexperienced and we have to run base coaching?

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whatever happen to the full house pistol we ran at Louisville 2 years ago? I don't think we've seen it since?

To use a big back we'd need to go under center or pistol, two things our coaching staff doesn't seem fond of

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is all the same reason we do not put a receiver in motion or run any trick plays...  

Is it me or do you always feel like the offensive coordinator is "holding" something back? The fan keeps waiting each game to see something different (motion, trick plays, creative ways to get Moo Moo the ball, Johnson used as a RB, etc.) but it never happens.
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline Big City

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Watching Rice and also MTSU the other day, I think that we could use a big back.  I am also wondering why we don't get creative and use Gator in the back field.

I have said this since 1999 or maybe 2000 when Marshall had to play WMU several times. WMU had that nice sized running back that really punished the defense and could consistently gain the 4-5 yards per carry. I am not dissing our current running backs because I think they work hard, are talented and efficient.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have said this since 1999 or maybe 2000 when Marshall had to play WMU several times. WMU had that nice sized running back that really punished the defense and could consistently gain the 4-5 yards per carry. I am not dissing our current running backs because I think they work hard, are talented and efficient.

Rob Samford was that back. One of the most nicest humblest players I've ever met in defeat

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 10:04:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Llow Turner ran big. Think he was around 200 lbs. I have his 1999 jersey thanks to Big City!
    And, who says Moss never blocked  ;D

Offline Big City

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 07:34:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Simply...those were the days. I also love Keith calling the games. Coach isn't too bad either.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 07:50:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is it me or do you always feel like the offensive coordinator is "holding" something back? The fan keeps waiting each game to see something different (motion, trick plays, creative ways to get Moo Moo the ball, Johnson used as a RB, etc.) but it never happens.

I know what you mean mr ash.
    I get the feeling something is missing and this is what always comes to mind.
    We do need a big back.
    Ohio U has lived off the big back (and won) but that is another thread.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was SO disappointed with the stagnant O that produced only 49 points last game

Offline Greg H

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Llow Turner ran big. Think he was around 200 lbs. I have his 1999 jersey thanks to Big City!
    And, who says Moss never blocked  ;D

Moss was the only player in Herd history who could have gotten TO that place to block...but the block sucked.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was SO disappointed with the stagnant O that produced only 49 points last game

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline Greg H

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was thinking the same thing.

preach it brother

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No problem with the points, just need a big back for short yardage.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    « Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• JeremyBlakePhotography

Johnson was the feature back a new “jumbo” formation The Herd debuted for the first time Friday afternoon.  On a first-and-goal from the two-yard line, Doc ran an extra lineman into the game, lined up reserve guard and South Charleston High graduate Blake Brooks in as a fullback and put Johnson as the deep set back.  Cato simply handed the ball to Johnson and the 240 pound sophomore followed the beef to the goal line.

“We’ve been working on that for two weeks.  Doc felt like it was the right game to use it.  I was very excited to get the ball in my hands,” said Johnson.

http://wvmetronews.com/2013/11/29/career-day-for-devon-johnson/

Looks like we got our big back  ;D

HerdFans.com

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »