Author Topic: WV MetroNews: We Will Never Forget  (Read 142 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
WV MetroNews: We Will Never Forget
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:36:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    By Dave Wilson in Marshall Sports

HUNTINGTON, W.Va.— Some say it is time to move on.  Some say it has been 43 years and it is time to leave the past in the past.  Those who say that obviously have never attended the somber ceremony held each November 14 on the Memorial Student Center Plaza and watched as the memorial fountain is turned off and the 75 sons and daughters of Marshall who died on Southern Airways Flight 932 in 1970 are remembered and honored.

Growing up I knew the story.  It was told to me by my uncle.  He was a freshman with the Thundering Herd in 1970 and a member of the Young Thundering Herd in 1971.   I admit, I did not have a true appreciation for the tragedy.  However, over the last several years I’ve come to understand why this is such a revered day and why it should never be forgotten.

I grew up a generation removed from the crash.  I wasn’t around in 1970 and only learned of the catastrophe through stories I was told and what I could read.  However, that could only tell part of the story.  I could not comprehend how the Marshall community was impacted by the crash.

Link: http://wvmetronews.com/2013/11/14/we-will-never-forget/
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

WV MetroNews: We Will Never Forget
    « on: November 14, 2013, 05:36:59 AM »