Author Topic: Doc Holliday  (Read 2278 times)

Offline BuyNtelos4

Doc Holliday
« on: November 25, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we had beat VT, OH, And MTSU, then or even any 2 of those 3, and win Friday, we would for sure be hosting the conference championship, likely a win at home.  

We would likely lose Doc Holliday after this season.  Teams are going to notice the drastic difference in talent that he was able to bring to our school.  So, as much as I would have like to have had those games, I really think I would like to have atleast one more Doc style recruiting class, especially with Cato being a senior next year and how easy our schedule is.  I don't think GB60 could win less than 10 games the way 2014 sets up, so Doc can handle it.  

I think the longer we keep him, the better our team will be setup depth wise for his predecessor, and that certainly can't hurt.  A lot of times your perceived best coach you have ever had is the coach after the great coach, ala Bobby Pruett.  I realize he was a great coach himself, but Jim Donnan certainly did him some favors.  

I wonder if when it is time for Doc's contract to be renegotiated, if he will refuse to allow the part about WVU being required to pay us like triple his normal buyout to hire him away from us.  If he wins a couple championships in a row, he would certainly be the one with leverage as far as what he is willing to accept.

I truly think the may have pissed him off enough that he may not even want to go back there, and he may also realize they are in over their head and it would be career suicide.  I'm still not sold on how smart he actually is.

I know I've gotten upset some throughout this year, but I have always maintained since we hired Doc, that for the amount of money we can pay, there is no one I would rather be our Head Coach. Win or Lose Friday, we haven't had meaningful footba on thanksgiving week in what 10 years?  & Doc is 100 percent responsible for that.  That being said, I hope we curb stomp them and send the West Division a huge statement l!!

HerdFans.com

Doc Holliday
    « on: November 25, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline luvherd

Re: Doc Holliday
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he wins CUSA an extension and raise is due.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Extension & raise due?  NO.....he would finally be earning the money we have already paid him for his on-the-job training.  Learn a lesson from the Snyder extension.  Nobody is coming to hire Doc away.  Produce the C-USA title and Bowl win over someone besides a conference opponent then think about it.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know about that..,.it means we support him and don't run him off it also means he is about .500 against decent or good teams
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Before reading any further I agree 100%.

If we win the conference, give him and extension, a raise, AND up the buyout amount.

Online whf

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be OK with me if we gave him the raise and extension right now. I think it would be great for the team to see and hear before the game; particularly if he accepted it and made some kind of commitment before the game to the kids.

Offline TexasHerdFan

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just keep in mind how we lost the 3 games we did this year. Just saying.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have mixed feelings about a contract extension for Doc. To begin with, we haven't won a "championship yet!" Doc has definitely upgraded the talent level here. We need to win a championship and bowl game this year and see where we are at the end of the season.

Offline luvherd

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he wins out it will be 6 straight and beating the best in both divisions. Learning on the job - yes but it would appear lessons learned. Loss now that is a different story. Not talking about a long term extension. Couple of years with a bonus kind of raise.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline Big City

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's play Friday and see where the rest of the game(s) fall. I'm not ready to anoint him just yet. Doesn't his contract include a bonus for winning the conference and bowl game or am I just making that up?

I don't think we would have to worry that much about losing him this year but after next season perhaps. Additionally didn't he already get an extension of 1 year or did I market this up in my head?
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline ought-three

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Extension & raise due?  NO.....he would finally be earning the money we have already paid him...

Agree. He was brought in to win, not show up.

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have mixed feelings about a contract extension for Doc. To begin with, we haven't won a "championship yet!" Doc has definitely upgraded the talent level here. We need to win a championship and bowl game this year and see where we are at the end of the season.

We really were really really bad as far as our talent level compared to the rest of the conference, not to mention that UCF was and is on par with most upper level ACC teams.  Yes, I did say ACC, not AAC.  Doc has done as good as can be expected to this point.  I realize the losses to OU was unacceptable, mtSU played good, VT same.  As long as we we win our next 2 games, this will be a very good season.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be OK with me if we gave him the raise and extension right now. I think it would be great for the team to see and hear before the game; particularly if he accepted it and made some kind of commitment before the game to the kids.
    Right now...without seeing how the remaining games play out?  Beating Miami O, G-W, UTSA, SMiss, UAB, FIU, beating FAU by 1 point, coming from behind in in the 4th Q to beat Tulsa, and blowing potential wins against Ohio freakin' U, VT, & MTSU does not in any way warrant a raise & contract extension.

Don't give Doc anything extra.  He's already cost us our chance to host any potential championship game and the extra revenue from that.  If he wants a raise & a contract extension make him earn it.  DO NOT JUST GIVE HIM A RAISE & EXTENSION.
    « Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:30:38 PM by QuickStrike »

Offline luvherd

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He must win out first.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline herdowski

• Rookie
    « Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •   I've made no secret about not being a Doc Holliday fan as the MU head coach. To his credit, the man is a superb recruiter at any level in college football. If we beat ECU friday, Rice at Houston the following week for the conference championship(my prediction for the C-USA championship game) and finally, win the Liberty Bowl against a team like Vanderbilt or maybe Tennesseee, then he'll have earned the accolades that some on this board give him for beating out of conference cupcakes and overpowering weak C-USA opponents.
      Winning these next three games would certainly cause anyone, including myself, to formulate an opinion that our program is again becoming a competitive, respected mid-major football program. If he accomplishes this, then he'll deserve the credit for legitimately having this program on the upswing(again, beating cupcakes and weak sisters is not my idea of of an improving program). This all starts friday. This could be a very exciting month or so. I honestly wish him the best.
      As for a raise and contract extension, let Doc prove over the next several weeks that he legitimately deserves consideration for those things.               

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just keep in mind how we lost the 3 games we did this year. Just saying.
    Player turnovers lost two of the games.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think a one year extension is the right call at this time, winning or losing the next 3 games.

I still feel as if the progress of the program is lagging by one year in terms of the benchmarks that should be considered.

His 2nd season should've been for 'style points', establishing an exciting offense, even at the expense of victories & the BOB bowl.

3rd season should've been 7-5 or 8-4 with a bowl.

THIS year should've been a historic season, instead of just a good one.

It cannot be denied that the depth in talent has improved greatly & that he has allowed the development of a really good college QB.

With his ability in signing good players, it would be foolish not to extend the contract a year.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline GoHerd2010

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say IF we win the C-USA championship, Doc should get an extension and a raise. IF we happen to lose Friday I'd still extend his contract without the raise. Really think Doc is our guy. Might not be the best X's and O's coach but he has improved the talent level year after year. Our offense was horrible 2 years ago and we know where it is now. Our D was the worst in the conference last season, we know it's one of the best in the conference now. He's made the improvements necessary for the team to win. Regardless of what happens Friday our program has made a huge step forward this season. Heck we are 14 points or so away from being undefeated.

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No need to rush to extend contract.  Let's see what happens Friday first and then with Rice.  Winning CUSA is and has been the expectation.  This is the first year we have had a remote chance.  Good job getting to this point, now it is time to win games that mean something. I am rooting for him to get it done.
    "The Herd #1"

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IF we happen to lose Friday I'd still extend his contract without the raise... Heck we are 14 points or so away from being undefeated.
    Good grief.....we are 14 points away from having 5 losses.  If Doc would have blown the Tulsa game and happens to lose against ECU we would be talking about firing him and buying out his remaining contract.

There is no rush to justify giving Doc a raise and contract extension.  Make him earn it with a C-USA championship and Liberty Bowl victory. 

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 08:46:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1. Nothing has happened yet...for good or bad. Keep in mind, that the past is the best predictor of the future. We'll see.

2. Consistency has to be taken into consideration. 3 winning seasons in a row, I'd consider extensions. This will be a VERY bad football conference after this year. We're headed into years of CUSA being very weak.

3. Seriously, and without flame, it's beyond me, and I'll call out Wolfie here (because he really likes me), why John gets such a break after four years at or below .500. I'd love to hear the explanation.

GS.
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Won't his contract expire before he would have the opportunity for 3 winning seasons in a row??  I conference getting so much worse is exactly why I would want to tie him down.  If the level of talent he brings in continues to improve even slightly, and the conference gets worse, we should be set up to win for quite a while with him.  I hate the new era of win now or get out.  The biggest reason I have for wanting to lock Holliday down, is that for the amount of money we have, any coach we can hire is basically going to be a crap shoot on whether he succeeds or not.  He is either going to be old with known flaws or character issues, or inexperienced and unproven.  With Holliday, we know exactly what we have, and I feel from here on out will have consistency ranging from 8 win seasons with some 11 win seasons possible.  That is better than being greedy IMO and ending up with another Snyder era and 10 years of misery.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 12:42:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think we should be extending his contract, at leastthe not now. Have to remember, the 8 wins we have, the opponents are a combined 21-65, taking gwu out, 14-60. That resume doesn't warrant an extension, you have to look at the substance of it.

If we beat ecu, the west champ and a good bowl opponent, then I say he has done a good job this year, and deserves all of us on the side of the fence where doc is not an idol, to give him credit. He wins big in 2014, give him that extension and more money absolutely.

The next 2 weeks will tell us alot about doc holliday, let's hope he gets this team ready and brings home a title and our best bowl win ever.

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 01:14:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc has built a program around himself with awesome talent...if we have to plug in a new head coach therss no harx feelings...doc still has earned his kpay and hamrick continues on moving us forward...hamrick is earning his pay Too.  Keep in mind that snyder never had us in this positikn in late november.  Not that snyder is thebench mark...lol
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:17:41 AM by field pass »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Snyder was bad, no doubt. But the man also played a much tougher slate as far as schedule is concerned. I may be wrong but if cusa opponents we played were a combined 21-53 I never knew it. 30-56 after factoring ecu and their loss against usus in there. Also our ooc slate went 20-25 so far, 13-20 without gwu, full disclosure, 13-9 taking out miami oh as well. Snyder faced a pretty tough slate, ooc, and in conference, relatively, with not nearly the talent, part on his recruiting, part what he inherited. I do believe mu was in better shape for doc than it was snyder, but jesus, his coaching lost us a lot of games, including that unbelievable kstate loss at home. Still makes me sick.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »