Author Topic: Pretty soon, the coaching carousel will begin in earnest...  (Read 1243 times)

Offline backontrack

Pretty soon, the coaching carousel will begin in earnest...
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:13:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was thinking about our opener for next year against Miami and whoever will be their next coach (I suppose they could retain Bath) in my old stomping grounds as I drove home yesterday...it got me to thinking about the inevitable carousel that will be commencing shortly...my guess is that Heater will absolutely be heading to greener pastures after the marvelous job he's done...if someone like the Tan Man can get $1 million/year giving up 35 points a game then I'll bet Heater will find a high-paying gig somewhere...I would say Legg might be a good candidate as well...even Doc might get some offers now that he's 9-3 when folks look at the kind of players he can bring in, even to an off-the-road program--and he might hear that siren song telling him to reach out for that one big $$$ contract with his name on it...

HerdFans.com

Pretty soon, the coaching carousel will begin in earnest...
    « on: November 30, 2013, 06:13:44 AM »

Offline whf

Re: Pretty soon, the coaching carousel will begin in earnest...
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, unfortunately I think you are correct.  I could easily see this.

1. Doc to Big Ten somewhere.
    2. Heater follows him; I know I'd sure take him.
    3. Legg becomes MU's head coach.
    4. Sauder back here as O coordinator (Yes, I do believe he'd come.) 
    5. Matthews comes here as D coordinator.

Hamrick finds / holds keys to Florida, GA and VA recruiting circles to keep this thing growing.

Alternatively, I could see Doc getting some bigger monies from funds outside the athletic department and staying  one more year.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't we just extend Doc?  I remember all the screaming at Doc and Hamrick

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A couple of weeks ago a good half of this board was trying to run Doc out of town. Now suddenly we are worried he will bolt?

Offline pdunn

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A couple of weeks ago a good half of this board was trying to run Doc out of town. Now suddenly we are worried he will bolt?

Funny how the worm turns.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline CJHerdgrad

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still not a huge fan of Doc or Legg.  That said, it was an awesome game Friday which makes me wonder where this was earlier in the year.  We should have more consistency with this many upper classmen (it's getting better, Doc is right, the "culture" had to change....hard thing to get changed regardless of who is in charge).  What I saw Friday, showed me what they are capable of.  If that team Friday played such a game against MTSU or VPI, we are undefeated.

My fear is we will only be so good.  Now, if we win out, it likely proves me wrong and I will HAPPILY accept that and merrily go forward looking to next season and predicting we get some pre-season top 25 votes if not actually landing in the top 25 pre-season.

So, let's hope I look like a fool.  I want to sooooo bad.  We are really due.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm a huge fan of both....first championship in 11 yrs does it for me

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CJ. Tell us what you don't like about Legg.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc would be making a mistake to think about leaving now. Look's like he may be finally figuring it out.  More fans are finally starting to back him again.  It would not look good on him now to be looking elsewhere and not get the other job.  Other schools also would probably still be questioning Doc's consistency in not blowing winnable games going forward.  With that said, if Doc has finally figured it out....if he can run the table with the weak schedule next year, that would be the time to consider going somewhere else for bigger money.
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:34:22 PM by QuickStrike »

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc, Heater and Legg have one thing working against them... Age.

College football is becoming a young coaches game for those bottom BCS schools. Which is why I think we retain all 3. Plus 2 of the 3 are home. That goes a long way with older coaches

Offline MUther

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think Doc would leave till he finished what he started with Cato and Shuler etc.  After next year if the team performs to expectations the sky's the limit.  Another good solid winning year and he could seriously increase his contract value over what he'd be worth this year.

Offline GoHerd2010

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My gut feeling is that Doc is staying for good. He's either going to retire the head coach of Marshall or get fired. I don't see him getting fired any time soon.

The only person I could see leaving is Heater, but my gut says he will stay too. Hope my gut is right!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »

Offline firstate

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc's not going anywhere.

Even if he wanted to...

Resume is not good enough, yet.
    He's no spring chicken, either.

It's good for MU...though.

He's the best we can do, for now.
    (and I just assume he retires here)

I could see Heater leaving though.

Doc's resume:

Led MU to a conference championship, in a very watered down CUSA.
    Did this by beating 3 teams that had winning records.

Heater's resume:

Took an MU defense that was one of the worst, turned them into one of the best.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:06:43 PM by firstate »

Offline herdman

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think Doc will go anywhere or have an offer from a "big" conference. I just don't think there is an AD out there who would look at the whole body of work and make the hire.  I think we could lose a coordinator and some assistants. I think Legg stays.

Offline phillyherdfan

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc loves the Herd and of course the area.  I think he stays, at least for a while longer, but maybe (just maybe) for another 15 years. 

I think Heater was here for one year from the day he was hired.  The whole situation with not following Addazio to BC because he was "assured" of the Temple HC job was very real... It was a foregone conclusion that it was his job.  The press, the fans, the money folks all were in support.   At the last minute Temple hired someone else and Heater was hung out to dry.  MU, with an old buddy as coach was an easy fit.  Also, as I said last week on another post, we don't pay a linebackers coach what we're paying Fuller, unless the plan is for him to step up soon.  Is that 2014?  Probably.   Heater is hot.  A defensive coordinator with Heater's pedigree who has directed a defense which is 23 points better than the previous year... It's not likely that iron is going to get any hotter.

The one coach I see stepping up to a "big time" program is Pete Lembo.  He's the next "small school" head coach to make the jump up, I think.  Virginia or WVU would both be wise to look at him right now to get him locked in.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The most likely to leave is probably Heater.  Fuller will be promoted to DC.  There is no way Matthews returns to Marshall as DC.  That isn't going to happen.  Doc isn't going anywhere.  Legg could go but hard to say how likely it is.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Penn2moss

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a chance Legg is here next year.

Offline svherd

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc is not going anywhere. Legg, I don't care. We will be fine.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a chance Legg is here next year.

Then does TP come back?

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc, Heater and Legg have one thing working against them... Age.

College football is becoming a young coaches game for those bottom BCS schools. Which is why I think we retain all 3. Plus 2 of the 3 are home. That goes a long way with older coaches

Excellent point.  With the exception of Doc, why would the other two risk making a move unless it's for an ungodly amount of money?  They can stay here and if they have continued success, own the state.  And even in Doc's case, do he really want to go somewhere new at his age and have a whole new set of pressures placed on his shoulders. (WVU might be the exception.)  If any and all do leave, they had better be very picky about where they end up.

When one gets older, practicality sets in.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like ol Chuck but make no mistake the young guns brought in plus Roberts and Rouse back from injury had just as much to do with the turn around if not more. Think of all the guys making plays on D who were not here last yr. Unreal. At least 7 guys I can think of..6 are starters.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I dont see Doc going anywhere this year.  Now if he does well  next year and gets some top 25 attention then it may be a possibility.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

Offline luvherd

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope he stays but Doc could get $1m raise at USF.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Dam....Doc to USF...he would be able to hit the jackpot with the recruits down there.

BUT...the way i see it, why leave this year with a possible undefeated season coming next year.  An undefeated season could improve the pay scale. 

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Willy taggart isn't going anywhere. Dude made WKU relevant after being awful after the move up and he recruits florida well. WKU and marshall both had some 37 Florida players in 2012

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »