Author Topic: CUSA needs to make attendance a major criterion in deciding champ game location  (Read 884 times)

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone else raised the point, albeit buried within another thread... those of you who think you have Hamrick's ear should encourage him to push this point next conference meeting.

HerdFans.com

Offline HerdinKY

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed!  I can't believe someone in the league's office never considered w/ the attendance figures of some of the member schools what kind of perception a championship game w/ 10k folks would create.
    When "Thunderstruck" starts its too late!

Online W0lfman

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's just go back to the way we used to and bid on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Offline morpheus

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As Tubby Raymond use to say,"The Marshall Invitational".  I loved to beat that guy.

Offline MU42

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is dumb. It isn't fair to the team that won. If Rice gets to host I'm sure they will have a decent crowd, 25k or so. If we beat MTSU we would have a better record or even Ohio we would be hosting because our BCS ranking would be a lot higher.

Offline The E-Man

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone else raised the point, albeit buried within another thread... those of you who think you have Hamrick's ear should encourage him to push this point next conference meeting.

_sturt_, you are controversial as hell at times, lol.. :) this is one time I have to agree with you..

Offline sleeinwv

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's just go back to the way we used to and bid on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Unfortunately we wouldn't have a chance to host a championship that way.  We wouldn't be able to outbid Houston, New Orleans, Miami, Nashville....those cities would just throw out the money that Huntington doesn't have and we all know the state isn't gonna help us since they're wasting our tax money in finding a way to buy out weenie weed up north, in addition they need the extra money to help feed the starving players up there.  I like the way out future looks in this conference and the team with the best record hosts, which it think we will be doing for the next couple of years.

Offline HaveUherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ESPN was never going to allow this game to be played at Rice.

It sucks when they are against you (i.e. basketball NIT/NCAA tourney selection) but when they are for you it's awesome.

Offline exanimate

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To receive that many votes, you almost  have to think that the CUSA officials were working the phones as well. I don't care how it happened, I'm just happy as hell that it did.

Offline goherd24

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh absolutely. A couple votes is one thing, but 13 means we had some good friends helping out. Including espn, doc, cusa and company

Offline wesnky

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Sturt, quite surprised you have an interest in how CUSA picks a championship site?   ;) 8)

Hakuna Matata my Herd friend!

Offline The E-Man

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To receive that many votes, you almost  have to think that the CUSA officials were working the phones as well. I don't care how it happened, I'm just happy as hell that it did.

If I'm the CUSA commissioner and it's on ESPN, I would rather see 30,000 k in a stadium on national TV as oppose to 5,000 k.

HerdFans.com

Offline ShawHerd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sport is business. If CUSA wants the stands to be full the conference poll voters can sway poll results. It does seem plausible.
    "I have heard people talk about the healing process - that sounds good - or closure," Dawson told the Los Angeles Times. "I don't know what closure is, but that area of my life will never be closed. But I feel alive again. I feel I can smile again."

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unfortunately we wouldn't have a chance to host a championship that way.  We wouldn't be able to outbid Houston, New Orleans, Miami, Nashville....those cities would just throw out the money that Huntington doesn't have and we all know the state isn't gonna help us since they're wasting our tax money in finding a way to buy out weenie weed up north, in addition they need the extra money to help feed the starving players up there.  I like the way out future looks in this conference and the team with the best record hosts, which it think we will be doing for the next couple of years.

How likely is it that those cities would bid at all if they weren't confident that it would be a money maker for them? I don't see that as a valid reason to reject the idea.

More valid would simply be that the conference is simply too spread out geographically (unlike MAC) to seriously consider it.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is dumb. It isn't fair to the team that won. If Rice gets to host I'm sure they will have a decent crowd, 25k or so. If we beat MTSU we would have a better record or even Ohio we would be hosting because our BCS ranking would be a lot higher.

Hold up. I don't think you're taking into account... I'm talking about taking attendance into consideration as a *tie-breaker*... seems reasonable to throw a bone to the school whose team has better supported them during the season in that situation... NOT talking about it in lieu of W/L record at all.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think it has to help that the game was on Friday so that it could get some better national media attention, as opposed to Saturday.

Offline sleeinwv

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How likely is it that those cities would bid at all if they weren't confident that it would be a money maker for them? I don't see that as a valid reason to reject the idea.

More valid would simply be that the conference is simply too spread out geographically (unlike MAC) to seriously consider it.

Not sure if those cities would or not, but who's to say that FIU/FAU went to Miami officials and ask for some help in having the CUSA championship game down there.  Honestly, December in Miami doesn't sound too shabby. On the downside there wouldn't be anybody in attendance.

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sturt, quite surprised you have an interest in how CUSA picks a championship site?   ;) 8)

Hakuna Matata my Herd friend!

I'm sometimes misunderstood, my Herd friend... I'd even say often misunderstood. ;) 8)

And I don't know what Hakuna Matata means... but back at ya.  ;D

Offline MUtant1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 13 votes is entirely plausible.  ECU was getting 11.  We waxed them and took their 11 votes plus a couple more.
    Chip, I'm gonna be on you like a spider monkey!

Offline wesnky

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sometimes misunderstood, my Herd friend... I'd even say often misunderstood. ;) 8)

And I don't know what Hakuna Matata means... but back at ya.  ;D

Hakuna Matata , Swahili for  "Don't Worry , Be Happy"  my Herd Friend! :)

Offline _sturt_

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • *bump*

Like I was saying... CUSA needs to make attendance a major criterion in deciding the champ game location... tie-breaker, that is.

HerdFans.com