Author Topic: Do we keep the "75"???...  (Read 1812 times)

Offline backontrack

Do we keep the "75"???...
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forever...and ever...amen!!!...it's been a secret weapon...a good luck charm...and, mostly, a BLESSING...

HerdFans.com

Do we keep the "75"???...
    « on: December 01, 2013, 04:22:19 PM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    Re: Do we keep the "75"???...
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They said rest of the season...So season's not over....

I don't know about forever...I personally would rather not see unless it's close to our memorial time, but it has grown on me....

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember reading where Hamrick said alternate uniforms were a possibility if we made the championship game. That's what I'm hoping for.

Offline GoHerd2010

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember reading where Hamrick said alternate uniforms were a possibility if we made the championship game. That's what I'm hoping for.
    I feel like it would be tough to get a full set of alternates in a week. Maybe for the bowl game?

Offline backontrack

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This program is all about the "75"...WE ARE, after all...the only alternate unis I would buy are the '70-'71 outfits...as opposed to the clown suits worn by Oregon/Oregon State or the ridiculous Miami getups...

Offline STEPHENS24

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please no...... I feel like it would water down the importance if we saw it every week...it's just a little too much.......I do however like the idea of having a small 75 yard line on the new turf.............. When all that matters it winning and losing.....that's how we will honor them...

Online whf

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm with Stephen....  Lets keep it special; this year makes sense with the first game on 11/14 away since the crash.  I will never forget, and always honor the folks we lost that day.  But seeing it on our home screen before every home game is enough for me at this time.  That is a lot of weight for a team to carry EVERY game IMHO.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm on the other side of the fence. It reminds those players every time they put those helmets on who they play for. It is what we are is all about. I day they should be a staple of our unis. And we are undefeated since unveiling them as well.

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I feel like it would be tough to get a full set of alternates in a week. Maybe for the bowl game?
    Maybe they already have them and they have them packed away and waiting for the appropriate time.
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:14:24 PM by Big Ol' Hillbilly »

Offline Big City

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe they already have them and they have them packed away and waiting for the appropriate time.

Perhaps...
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forever...and ever...amen!!!...it's been a secret weapon...a good luck charm...and, mostly, a BLESSING...

I'm not okay with this sentiment... and before the one with the burr up his azz jumps in... *nothing* personal about this... *not* inventing reasons to be disagreeable...

To the contrary, from the first time this was brought up as potentially a permanent fixture on our gear, this was and is part of my rub with it...

"75" ought not be a "secret weapon"... ought not be a "good luck charm"... that we have it on our helmets is a cross to bear... a memorial... definitely *not* a blessing.

The other part is what someone else said... wearing it ought to be a matter of remembrance and have *nothing* to do with wins and losses at any given time... thus, appropriate for the week before and after 11/14, and when playing ECU and the school that, sympathetically and in honor of our fallen, lined up the next week as-if they were going to play us (Ohio U).

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Personally, I love our kelly green pants and jersey with the white helmet. I love what we had on Friday.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Change nothing. Performances like last week haven't happened in 10 years. Guess you have to wash the uniforms but other than that, nothing changes.
    "The Herd #1"

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Change nothing. Performances like last week haven't happened in 10 years. Guess you have to wash the uniforms but other than that, nothing changes.

Pea Pods for the rest of the Amazing Season... Don't change a winner!!!

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 06:06:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the respect the players showed when they asked to wear them the rest of the year.  As for it being permanent, I'm not sure I would do it but I would have no problem with it if it is what our players want. 
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MUther

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm on the other side of the fence. It reminds those players every time they put those helmets on who they play for. It is what we are is all about. I day they should be a staple of our unis. And we are undefeated since unveiling them as well.

This.

The game, the uniform, and who they are playing for is up to the players now.  If this gives them inspiration then that should be their choice.  It's not going to lose meaning by becoming part of our tradition.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, you would argue that the decision belongs to the players exclusively... the tragedy belongs to them only... the rest of us are peripheral...?

And... you do or do not acknowledge that there would never be a group of players who would desire to be part of that team that one year decided, "Nah... let's not memorialize the tragedy in that way... we don't really care to honor the 1970 team like that."

"Pardon me... I'm just asking."

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Keep the 75 for forever. I absolutely love them and think it is one of if not the most unique decal in college sports.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where does the need for it stop. Helmets only? Why?  It was, after all, a terrible community loss. Maybe we should have a big 75 sign over the bridge, facing each direction so it won't be forgotten by those coming or going. Maybe marshall t-shirts with 75 printed on them.

All seventy five were way more complex in their wants and desires and goals for life than the brief association with football we insist on holding them to. Sorry, just not a fan of any of it. I would prefer to see the use limited to unique remembrances. Or, as an alternate, a way to honor them beyond the football only reference.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, you would argue that the decision belongs to the players exclusively... the tragedy belongs to them only... the rest of us are peripheral...?

And... you do or do not acknowledge that there would never be a group of players who would desire to be part of that team that one year decided, "Nah... let's not memorialize the tragedy in that way... we don't really care to honor the 1970 team like that."

"Pardon me... I'm just asking."

Huh?  The tragedy doesn't "belong" to anyone.  It is an event, not a thing.  How we acknowledge it is up to us as a community.  The uniform is worn by the players and if that is how they want to acknowledge it then I do think it should be their choice.  They may not chose to do that every year and I would be fine with that as well.  We haven't always done group runs to Spring Hill.  We used to have a banner that hung in the south end zone that said, "from the ashes of tragedy, to the glory of Champions" that hasn't been there for a long time.  Just because it is started doesn't mean it has to be there forever more.  The only group that does that is the US Congress.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Online MarshallHerdFan99

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think they should have a 75 patch on their jersey. That's all they need. Wear the 75 in the month of November.  The rest of the year they can have a small 75 on the back of the helmets.

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice thought 99. AS Lengel says in WAM at the grave site to the team " Its who we are ".

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No matter how this argument goes, I think I can speak for all of us when many of the players were pounding the #75 with their hands after the Tulsa game: that was very, very moving and an extremely classy gesture.

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huh?  (a) The tragedy doesn't "belong" to anyone.  It is an event, not a thing.  (b) How we acknowledge it is up to us as a community.

(a) If you really want to get into the weeds of vocabulary, "belong to" in the sense that something... in this case, yes, an event... being a part of us.

(b) OH... well... then... we agree... it is indeed a community thing.

The uniform is worn by the players and if that is how they want to acknowledge it then I do think it should be their choice.

Huh? You just said it is a community thing.

So, you're asserting that because players wear the unis, they should get to choose on that basis?... after all, none of the alumni wear the unis.... none of the other fans wear the unis... none of the rest of the community wears the uni... so, it's left to the players exclusively.

That's your position, right?

They may not chose to do that every year and I would be fine with that as well.  We haven't always done group runs to Spring Hill.  We used to have a banner that hung in the south end zone that said, "from the ashes of tragedy, to the glory of Champions" that hasn't been there for a long time.  Just because it is started doesn't mean it has to be there forever more.  The only group that does that is the US Congress.

Indeed, it doesn't. That's not my point.

May I try again? My point is that you know that you're setting this up in a way that will automatically mean the 75 will be on the helmets forevermore, simply because no group of players is ever going to be that group of players who were so apathetic or unfeeling to be the ones who didn't want it on their helmet.

So, it's a rhetorical strategy on your part to hide behind this "let the players decide" premise. It's a thinly-veiled attempt to get things the way you want them in perpetuity, without wading into the substance of the argument that making something routine, by definition, makes it less than something special.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »