Author Topic: Gazette: Mitch Vingle: NCAA movement a concern for Marshall  (Read 3838 times)

Offline kjh

Re: Gazette: Mitch Vingle: NCAA movement a concern for Marshall
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Said before I will say it again. We should band together and agree to not play any regular season games with the 5. Doing it this year. If all did it, the 5 would have to neat each other up.
    Good idea. Might make them come down off their high horse. Agree.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good idea. Might make them come down off their high horse. Agree.

I don't really see what that would do.  Except for the SEC, the trend seems to be going to nine conference games.  Most schools in the P5 play at least one other P5 team, and several play two or more.  It doesn't matter to them if that 12th game is Buffalo or Stony Brook.  Even if they have to play two FCS teams, it's not going to hurt them.  WVU and some SEC schools are doing it already.

And what would even be your end goal if you were able to be successful in forcing them to beat each other up?  The number of undefeated and one-loss P5 teams might dwindle, but 10-2 SEC teams are still gonna get picked for the playoff over a 13-0 Marshall.  It's not going to affect their bowl tie-ins.  It might affect their attendance in the ever so slightest way, but I doubt it.  I don't see the average Alabama fan saying "Oh, we're playing Samford?  Screw that.  But I would have gone if it was New Mexico State."

Offline kjh

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't really see what that would do.  Except for the SEC, the trend seems to be going to nine conference games.  Most schools in the P5 play at least one other P5 team, and several play two or more.  It doesn't matter to them if that 12th game is Buffalo or Stony Brook.  Even if they have to play two FCS teams, it's not going to hurt them.  WVU and some SEC schools are doing it already.

And what would even be your end goal if you were able to be successful in forcing them to beat each other up?  The number of undefeated and one-loss P5 teams might dwindle, but 10-2 SEC teams are still gonna get picked for the playoff over a 13-0 Marshall.  It's not going to affect their bowl tie-ins.  It might affect their attendance in the ever so slightest way, but I doubt it.  I don't see the average Alabama fan saying "Oh, we're playing Samford?  Screw that.  But I would have gone if it was New Mexico State."

Not me 645. I won't go to RI and last year I didn't go to GW and UTSA. I give my tickets away. Instead I'll travel to Miami and Akron.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not me 645. I won't go to RI and last year I didn't go to GW and UTSA. I give my tickets away. Instead I'll travel to Miami and Akron.

I go see Marshall play every game. In the end it doesn't make any difference to me who we are playing or where.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline 2xBison

Gazette: Mitch Vingle: NCAA movement a concern for Marshall
    « Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 08:20:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It does if it's Morgantown
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline goherd24

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I go see Marshall play every game. In the end it doesn't make any difference to me who we are playing or where.

I agree, for those that live near by or within driving distance. If I was 6 hours away, im not driving in to see rhode island either. A conference game, absolutely. This year, I will not miss a game, thats drivable. Ill be at akron, miami, and every home game. Possibly go to old dominion to check them out as well.

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/31/5565378/college-athlete-union-ncaa-future

Typical Vingle article....The most likely scenario is that the schools have to pay the players big salaries and the complications from that cause colleges to jettison college football as we know it...In to a minor league system.

This article is describing WVUs and the Big 12s most hopeful outcome from the lawsuit and projecting it on the instate rival (little ole Marshall) to talk about the negative effects it would bring on us.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not me 645. I won't go to RI and last year I didn't go to GW and UTSA. I give my tickets away. Instead I'll travel to Miami and Akron.

UTSA was by far the 2nd best team we played at home last year.  But my point was that fans of P5 schools don't care if their cupcakes have FBS or FCS frosting, not what we Herd fans think.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA has already formally supported the cost of attendance increase. 

Can anyone show me a quote from a Marshall administrator saying that we would not comply with new D1 requirements...

Waits...

No.  You can't, because we will meet the new requirements.  Will it be somewhat difficult at first?  Of course.  Some from CUSA, the MAC, MW, SB, and even possibly the AAC may choose to drop down, but we'll remain a D1 member. As I've said 1,000 times, the new regulations are much more of an attack on the McNeese State type/non-D1 football schools of the world.  The large schools don't want the tiny non-D1 football schools to have an equal vote.

Further, the large schools need the smaller schools to fill football schedules.  The idea to band together, form our own "small school football cartel," and raise the price of one-and-done games is exactly what will happen.  Unfortunately, the easiest way for the non-AQ schools to increase their budgets is to play a one-and-done money game or two each year.

Most of the non-AQ schools aren't going anywhere.  The AQ schools want no part of 13 game schedules only against each other (more likely to take losses and, more importantly, you lose home games).  The SEC just voted against going to a 9 game schedule.  Nearly all of the SEC schools play a 1-AA school this year.  The most likely outcome of all of this, as mentioned above, is more one-and-done games (for a big price) between the AQ and non-AQ.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »