Author Topic: Pretty good article on the Herd....  (Read 1660 times)

Offline goherd24

Pretty good article on the Herd....
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Except the devon smith x receiver,  fairly well researched.  And it seems that some agree with my assessment of holliday. Praise his recruiting and see his opportunity.

"With all of the  superlatives Marshall possess, why are they not the favorite to represent the  G5 in the  ACCESS BOWL? In a word, inconsistency. Marshall, in spite of the talent it possesses, has struggled with staying consistent   since Doc has been head coach.

These inconsistencies are sometimes found in clock management, game management and the inability to win away games when they matter. The losses to OHIO, MTSU  in last years regular season and the loss to RICE in the Conference USA Championship game, seem to suggest that Marshall still has some work to do before they can be considered the front runner for the G5 access spot.

CONCLUSION
     Cato and company will have to transcend their away game blues  and the coaching staff will have to work hard to transform the talented Marshall players from simply  individuals on the football field to a cohesive, community minded team.  If these two things happen during the regular season, then  Thundering Herd fans have a very good shot at watching their team play in the Access Bowl."

http://g5conferencenews.blogspot.com/2014/05/access-bowl-roulette-marshall.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+G5NewsAndTalk+(G5+News+and+Talk)&m=1

HerdFans.com

Pretty good article on the Herd....
    « on: May 06, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: Pretty good article on the Herd....
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • media and recruiting sites been agreeing with my assessment of Doc for 4 yrs now....even Heater said it" coaching doesn't come into it until there is enough talent. I'll take a johnny and joes guy over a Xs and Os guy any day of the week and twice on Sunday and Doc is proving me right. What you want is a coach who can recruit and manage the game like a pro. Well, you cant get that for 600,00 dollars maybe. And its not like he may not learn and do better but I'll take him as is.
    « Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:48:02 PM by BHFIOHIO »

Offline jstherd

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The progress Doc has made from year one to year four is astounding. Some people judged him too early and unfairly. For the first time he has depth at every position. He has a superb coaching staff. Just like Rome, a football team cannot be built in a day.  After this year, you can judge him. It is inappropriate to have judged him before this coming season. You'll be jumping on the band wagoncome bowl season.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ive been on the wagon sincr I was 6 years old.

Offline svherd

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spot on. If we can stay healthy and focused, we'll be in great shape. If we get complacent and start thinking we can just show up, a loss will surely happen. We will have a target on our backs every game.

Gonna be fun.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline dwaynehinkle

Re: Re: Re: Pretty good article on the Herd....
    « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ive been on the wagon sincr I was 6 years old.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline goherd24

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To be clear, there is more positives than negatives in that article. However, I used that quote which exactly matches a previous post I made about docs opportunities to improve. I quoted it to show it isn't off base or an unfair assessment and that others share it. No dissrespect to doc, he has done a great job and has positioned us for the top 25 and finally another championship.

Offline Boone and Crockett Herd

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not to put the cart before the horse but:

If we do get to the access bowl:

What projected bowl would it be and who would we play in
    said bowl?

Again, a lot has to transpire for that to happen, but just
    Curious.
    :)

Go Herd!!!!!!!!!

Offline ShawHerd

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think what it proves is that it takes a coach four years to rebuild a team and only if he can recruit as good as Doc. Doc could have done it sooner if he didn't have to endure the learning curve from his lack of Head coaching experience. However the best coaching experience can't be effective without recruiting expertise.
    "I have heard people talk about the healing process - that sounds good - or closure," Dawson told the Los Angeles Times. "I don't know what closure is, but that area of my life will never be closed. But I feel alive again. I feel I can smile again."

Offline goherd24

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not to put the cart before the horse but:

If we do get to the access bowl:

What projected bowl would it be and who would we play in
    said bowl?

Again, a lot has to transpire for that to happen, but just
    Curious.
    :)

Go Herd!!!!!!!!!

I think, due to contractual tie ins by the others, we would be in the peach (new "bcs" bowl, was chikfila I think), cotton (again a new bcs bowl now), and fiesta. So really the fiesta is the only true "bcs" bowl we can make. How it all shakes out is yet to be seen.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 10:31:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thx 24!

Hopefully we can make it that far!

The table is set - we just need to take it a play at a time.

Go Herd!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As an addendum to my last post--

We would play a big 12 Opponent in the Fiesta Bowl
    -- I think.

Go Herd!!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Cotton and Peach bowls are now on par with the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange and will be a part of the playoff rotation. No such thing as BCS bowls anymore.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 11:56:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Cotton and Peach bowls are now on par with the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange and will be a part of the playoff rotation. No such thing as BCS bowls anymore.

Yes, technically. But the prestige is not the same imo. The rose bowl, sugar bowl, and orange bowl are the 3 most recognized and prestigious still, so much so, those bowls will never see a non p5 team in them, unless they are the semi final game in CFP and a miracle happens and ome of us makes it. Btw, I dont know if the peach bowl is official, I have seen it called the "Atlanta" bowl too. And even atill the chikfila bowl.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 12:02:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As an addendum to my last post--

We would play a big 12 Opponent in the Fiesta Bowl
    -- I think.

Go Herd!!!!

We could only hope that we would get ahold of WVU in one of those games sometime. But in all honesty, they will possibly never make a bowl game again, let alone a bcs bowl.

Offline MUther

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 12:25:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We could only hope that we would get ahold of WVU in one of those games sometime. But in all honesty, they will possibly never make a bowl game again, let alone a bcs bowl.

Maybe not, but we could always shellack another team that whipped their (@/:; in the regular season again, ala Maryland last year.  If we have a Big 12 opponent that is a  very likely scenario.

Offline kjh

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    PEACH????? No way on par.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/

In 2014-2015 the Access Bowl will be the Cotton, Peach or Fiesta Bowl.  Semifinal games will be the Rose & Sugar Bowl.

In 2015-2016 the Access Bowl will be the Sugar, Peach, or Fiesta Bowl.  Semifinal games will be the Orange & Cotton Bowls.

In 2016-2017 the Access Bowl will be the Sugar, Orange, or Cotton Bowl. Semifinal games will be the Peach & Fiesta Bowls.

I don't believe the G5 bid is ever in play for the Rose Bowl in order to keep that a B1G-PAC12 game every year it isn't hosting a semi-final.

These games are now all on equal footing, aside from the Rose Bowl which is still...well the Rose Bowl.

Offline svherd

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, the Peach would work best for Marshall fans. Easy to get to from anywhere.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline goherd24

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 01:12:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

In 2014-2015 the Access Bowl will be the Cotton, Peach or Fiesta Bowl.  Semifinal games will be the Rose & Sugar Bowl.

In 2015-2016 the Access Bowl will be the Sugar, Peach, or Fiesta Bowl.  Semifinal games will be the Orange & Cotton Bowls.

In 2016-2017 the Access Bowl will be the Sugar, Orange, or Cotton Bowl. Semifinal games will be the Peach & Fiesta Bowls.

I don't believe the G5 bid is ever in play for the Rose Bowl in order to keep that a B1G-PAC12 game every year it isn't hosting a semi-final.

These games are now all on equal footing, aside from the Rose Bowl which is still...well the Rose Bowl.

You are missing the part where it has a section just for the big 3 bowls. The years that the Rose, Sugar, or orange are NOT the playoff  semifinal, they will only take P5 teams per their contract with those conferences. Download the PDF and it will note that. It will always be the cotton, peach or fiesta, the years where their is only the cotton, then it will be tje cotton etc, unless a G5 makes the playoff.  In the real world, those years, that bowl will be viewed as the step child bowl by everyone not a fan of the access team.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

http://espn.go.com/i/ncf/bcs/CFP_One_Pager_Cities_1.pdf

There is the link to the details.
    To sum it up

When not a semifinal.

Big ten/pac to rose
    Sec/big12 to sugar
    Acc/ND, or other p5 contracted team to orange

Fiesta, cotton and peach/atlanta/chikfila will have a displaced conference champion vs non contracted conferences (g5) top ranked champion.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • we were never gonna be invited to those 4 bowls under the BCS or anytime before and that imo is exactly what started the CUSA teams(Houston and UCF) jumping ship. At that time the BE was an AQ league for the double digit million dollar pay day. Didn't work out tho did it? Memphis went for BB prob. The Tulsa, Tulane, ECU etc went to stay with the others. Opens the door for us to do well if we don't stick our head where it was 2005-2010. Maybe need to upgrade the OOC tho and I would just as soon it be one game a yr at OSU, UT, Clemson for the 800,000-1,000,000. It aint like we don't need it. Kill two birds with one stone. A one or two loss yr wont get it it done if the lone decent team is Louisville or UNC.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 10:57:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BHF, you are probably right. I would rsther see clemsom and tennessee than OSU though. We would never beat them while meyer is there. I would love to see a purdue and u of l year in 2015, both at home. But that wont happrn lol

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 01:48:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, the Peach would work best for Marshall fans. Easy to get to from anywhere.

Whoa, Nellie! as Keith Jackson would say. The Peach bowl only pays out $3.9 million tops, the Cotton bowl pays , $3.6 million.
    Where as the Fiesta bowl pays a whopping, $ 18, million! I'll pack my bags any day of the week, to make that Fiesta trip ;)

Offline fedale

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Whoa, Nellie! as Keith Jackson would say. The Peach bowl only pays out $3.9 million tops, the Cotton bowl pays , $3.6 million.
    Where as the Fiesta bowl pays a whopping, $ 18, million! I'll pack my bags any day of the week, to make that Fiesta trip ;)

With the way the BCS is switching, I imagine those numbers change.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »