Author Topic: What if WVU came calling???...  (Read 1329 times)

Offline backontrack

What if WVU came calling???...
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read where BHFIOHIO suggested in another thread that he feels that we need at upgrade our OOC and would welcome a "money game" at an OSU or Clemson as a way to "kill two birds with one stone"...okay...let's say that the p!ss-yeller-and-blew for some reason had a change of heart and came calling, either as a one/done or as something else that would be financially attractive...so...would you be receptive???...and under what conditions???...

HerdFans.com

« on: May 07, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »

Offline firstate

Re: What if WVU came calling???...
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would play up there every year.

You get a small payday.

When u start winning the game it becomes a rivalry.

Then eventually a home and home.

Is why and how University of Louisville got the mighty UK wildcats to play them every year

If we would have kept playing them, up there, every year, we would have won this year.

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree. Until we beat them we have no leverage in negotiating anything with them. That's why I thought guys were crazy who said 1-1 or nothing. I think I remember hearing they would've been receptive to a 2-1 and I would've taken it in a heartbeat.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wvu would play us UP THERE any yr we wanna go up there.  that's never been the issue.  the issue -- & rightly so, IMO -- is our insistence on getting some home games in return.  they have no interest in that.  i guarantee you if MH called luck tonite & said 'next spot you've got open OOC, pencil us in & you owe us no trips in return,' luck would be all over that.  they're gonna need some nice crowds once the novelty of the big XII wears off & their fans get tired of losing.

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sure wish last year and this year it had been worked out. We would have had impressive wins both years. A shame.
    "The Herd #1"

Online 2xBison

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should have jumped all over any 2-1.  We had to hv 1-1 which was stupid
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline kjh

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sure wish last year and this year it had been worked out. We would have had impressive wins both years. A shame.
    Nope, never want to play those a$$holes unless it's home and home. Don't need them. Wait till the B12 beat downs and no bowls become routine and they will need us. If I was AD  I'd discontinue all contest between them. I'm not into pacification. Let them schedule lower class teams. I'm tired of their $hit.
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:16:07 PM by kjh »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • giddyup!

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Screw em' with a huge rubber dildo.

Offline kjh

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:11:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should have jumped all over any 2-1.  We had to hv 1-1 which was stupid
    OK 2x, you go up to the land where their fans assault pregnant woman twice, l'll pass. Beating WVU is the monkey on our backs and that fumble at the Joan prevented us from getting rid of it. Had we have won that game things would be different. Too bad. I want to beat them so bad it hurts, but I still have my self respect and they can 't take that. Why lower yourself to their level????

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we could sell a modified 2-1, which is more like a 1-1-1. We play there, they play here and we play another game there but under the same arrangement they would make to bring another D-1 program to visit, in other words, give us a reasonable fee for playing a third game as a visitor who has no return game. This can be fairly significant...$500K to 700K, i think, but they could pay the same and get Akron or someone and they would be virtually assured a sellout, but we would get a meaningful payout for the third game.

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OK 2x, you go up to the land where their fans assault pregnant woman twice, l'll pass. Beating WVU is the monkey on our backs and that fumble at the Joan prevented us from getting rid of it. Had we have won that game things would be different. Too bad. I want to beat them so bad it hurts, but I still have my self respect and they can 't take that. Why lower yourself to their level????

What you are saying definitely was not the case the one time I ventured up there. They were almost too nice. Like they were bending over backward almost. My theory on that is that they were worried about getting into a different conference and the word came down to everyone from someone high up. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Until the WV legislature votes to keep $$$$$$$ in WV, no...

For me it's logical for wv 3 -- HERD 2 for a ten game series.

They get their OOC game, Marshall gets four sell outs in 10 years, those four years get higher ticket prices, both schools get some long term schedules in an every changing landscape.

Unless the State Legislature buys in and will push for it, never will happen.

But if economics force it to happen, would be good for the state and both schools.

NO to 1-1, yes to 3-2......

Offline kjh

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we could sell a modified 2-1, which is more like a 1-1-1. We play there, they play here and we play another game there but under the same arrangement they would make to bring another D-1 program to visit, in other words, give us a reasonable fee for playing a third game as a visitor who has no return game. This can be fairly significant...$500K to 700K, i think, but they could pay the same and get Akron or someone and they would be virtually assured a sellout, but we would get a meaningful payout for the third game.
    Most D-1 host pay 800k.

Offline kjh

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What you are saying definitely was not the case the one time I ventured up there. They were almost too nice. Like they were bending over backward almost. My theory on that is that they were worried about getting into a different conference and the word came down to everyone from someone high up. 
    Was that the game that was interrupted by lightening twice?.

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not gonna happen!!!

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Was that the game that was interrupted by lightening twice?.

Yep

Offline goherd24

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  The fact we were becoming more competitive in the game concerned those up north we beat them once and they never play us again IMO. Se scared them to death in 2010. A game that still makes me cringe.
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:15:00 PM by goherd24 »

Offline kjh

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My wife and I left at half time. We were fed up from getting beer spilled on us, intoxicated e'er fans falling on us, while State Police were filling paddy wagon with drunk WVU LOSERS. After the rains and lightening stopped the first time most of those causing problems left and we went back in and sat with our friends (e'er fans). Our seats to begin the game were in the Herd section, but Marshall returned many in that section and they were sold to WVU fans. Your perception of being treated respectfully lacks credibility. No one should have to endure those mongrels. Enjoy your next trips.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thank you havuherd

I went to all 7 games of new series.  Wvu fans were belligerent (@/:; in the beginning and worst road trip I ever took and by the end of series it was one of the best road trips.  And I hate wvu.

I hate it when herdfans lie , reminds me of eerdiots.  I really hate it when herdfans are lying pussies
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Banshee

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 03:12:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forget 'em.  If MU actually beat them, they'd come get Doc as soon, or sooner, than the season was over.  I want to beat them as much or more than anyone on here, but 600K vs. 2-2.5MM$, and a WVU grad to boot isn't something I want to chance at this pt.  Let 'em rot losing to the likes of Kansas and other traditional bottom dwellers in the Big 12.  They're getting the big $$$, just a small fish in an incredibly big pond now, enjoy MTNeer fans. :)
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:25:49 AM by Banshee »

Offline cliffherd15

• Rookie
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm by no means an expert and I certainly don't have any inside connections for information but from what I was led to believe from the last go round of talks like this in 1998, one of the sticking points was the payout was almost non-existant. Memory is failing me but I want to say the payout for the Morgantown games offered was less than $200K.  Compare that to possible "regional" games with local-ish teams like Ohio State and Tennessee where payouts are well over $500K.  I just don't know what value a series with WVU brings Marshall $$ wise.  Sure a win gets the monkey off our back but far as national exposure goes I feel a win over Ohio State or Tennessee would be better anyway.  Assuming the numbers I read were correct (and I have no way to verify they are, I'm strictly going by memory) in my estimation Marshall can't afford to give up $300K plus just to play WVU as an in state rival in Morgantown every year.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't play WVU in any sport unless it were home and home, no exceptions.  And yes I include basketball in that.  Charleston is not a neutral location! For Pete's sake, they played their home games in Charleston for a season not too long ago.  I find it very suspect that in 1998 when Marshall's football program was on the upswing all of the sudden they didn't have room on their schedule for us.  After going undefeated for several seasons in the 70's and 80's against WVU in basketball in Huntington all of the sudden it made more sense to play all of the games in Charleston and now as Marshall's football program is on the upswing again we are back to no room on the schedule for Marshall again.

I predicted in 1998 that the series with WVU would be renewed when our football team took a downward spiral for a while and would end when we turned it around.  It doesn't make me clairvoyant, it's just common sense.  Simply put WVU simply can't afford to lose a game to Marshall in football and will do everything they can to stack the deck and prevent it.  I say forget them and move on.  There are other local/regional teams with bigger payouts.  Some of these teams are even willing to occasionally play in Huntington without all the bitching.  

Just my two cents.
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:04:02 PM by cliffherd15 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Assuming the 'errs can become bowl eligible and we slip a bit, we will make an attractive match up for them at some point in the distant future with a lesser bowl and a promoter who wants to fill it.

Offline pdunn

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They do not want to play us and we need to stop acting like they are the cornerstone of our universe.  Let them have their fantasy about being on the top of the college football pecking order.  They are now a perennial second-division team in the Big we-can't-count-to-12 conference and have decided they would rather play Georgia State and Wm & Mary.  We can do better than them.  If we did play them this year and if we beat them by three touchdowns no one would be impressed.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline cliffherd15

• Rookie
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They do not want to play us and we need to stop acting like they are the cornerstone of our universe.  Let them have their fantasy about being on the top of the college football pecking order.  They are now a perennial second-division team in the Big we-can't-count-to-12 conference and have decided they would rather play Georgia State and Wm & Mary.  We can do better than them.  If we did play them this year and if we beat them by three touchdowns no one would be impressed.

This. Exactly!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »