Author Topic: Marshall makes SI top 25 post spring practice. also heisman mention  (Read 1085 times)

Offline goherd24

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Made their top 25 @ #25. Looks like we will be between 25-30 to begin the season. We win and win convincingly, no way we are not in the top 25 before conference play begins. Exciting times people.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140506/post-spring-practice-power-rankings/?eref=sihp

Cato leads dark horse heisman candidates.  "Cato is intriguing,  passing for more than 10k yards and 81 tds entering his senior campaign"

http://college-football.si.com/2014/05/05/post-spring-practice-heisman-trophy-watch/

HerdFans.com

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice publicity! They (SI) have Lovett listed as a returning though.

Offline morpheus

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • SI had a writer at the G/W game doing a writeup on Cato for a future article.  Good to see the Herd back in the football news.

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The program is where it wants to be. Now time for them to focus and deliver. Exciting times for sure. Lots of pressure to succeed. We'll see how they handle it.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline goherd24

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice publicity! They (SI) have Lovett listed as a returning though.

And james rouse is listed as gone too I think I remember. Thats a big miss

Offline Thunders

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The program is where it wants to be. Now time for them to focus and deliver. Exciting times for sure. Lots of pressure to succeed. We'll see how they handle it.

Indeed. We have been here before and last time we didn't handle the success appropriately and build on the success.  This time we are building new facilities in the face of the success and gaining some momentum with it. Key will be to sustain that wave of success we are going to have. I'm glad to have Hamrick driving the train this time around instead of Boob Marcum. You will see a big difference. With an undefeated season possible, we need to figure out how to keep Holiday here along with his staff.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Apollo

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Indeed. We have been here before and last time we didn't handle the success appropriately and build on the success.  This time we are building new facilities in the face of the success and gaining some momentum with it. Key will be to sustain that wave of success we are going to have. I'm glad to have Hamrick driving the train this time around instead of Boob Marcum. You will see a big difference. With an undefeated season possible, we need to figure out how to keep Holiday here along with his staff.

I would bet Heater and several others will be hired away after this season and we don't have the cash to give Heater enough of a raise to turn down the likes Nebraska, Oklahoma, or South Carolina, etc, etc.

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would bet Heater and several others will be hired away after this season and we don't have the cash to give Heater enough of a raise to turn down the likes Nebraska, Oklahoma, or South Carolina, etc, etc.

Agree. His two year commitment to Doc is up after this year. He will likely be gone if we have the year everyone anticipates. Legg too. We'll be ok though.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline goherd24

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds silly, but I don't mind legg going. His system works with an amazing qb, yes, but whose won't?  He was very lack luster the first couple years. I don't know how he will fair when he doesn't have players (if he doesn't) that don't fit the system and aren't supremely talented. I know it sounds stupid considering the stats, but we have to remember that Cato is going to be the best qb (statistically)that we've ever had. I really hope birdsong or this litton kid can continue the success.

Heater will be gone and will be a huge loss. We have to make a quality hire for him.

Offline Greg H

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds silly, but I don't mind legg going. His system works with an amazing qb, yes, but whose won't?  He was very lack luster the first couple years. I don't know how he will fair when he doesn't have players (if he doesn't) that don't fit the system and aren't supremely talented. I know it sounds stupid considering the stats, but we have to remember that Cato is going to be the best qb (statistically)that we've ever had. I really hope birdsong or this litton kid can continue the success.

That's a funny quote.  To hear the Cato detractors, he's just a "system QB" who would be mediocre elsewhere.  To read this, it's Cato that makes the system.  Not being critical of the post, necessarily.  Just funny.

Offline goherd24

Re: Marshall makes SI top 25 post spring practice. also heisman mention
    « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's a funny quote.  To hear the Cato detractors, he's just a "system QB" who would be mediocre elsewhere.  To read this, it's Cato that makes the system.  Not being critical of the post, necessarily.  Just funny.

Cato would be a great qb anywhere he goes. Unless the other team throws deep balls every pass down the sidelines. That is the only thing to be critical of about his game. He has consistently missed those throws since day 1. I cant understand though, why anyone would be a detractor of this kid. He is a legend on the field, already, and is a hell of a kid and leader off of it. And yes, I do think cato makes the system work. If we have an innaccurate qb, we dont move the ball. Just likr we didnt before cato, even in his freshman year it was inconsistent (as can be expected with a freshman qb) which would further reinforce the fact that leggs system requires an accurate passer.

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Say we have a great season and Doc is hired away by a big program. What about Heater as a Head Coach?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Legg's system was a lot different the first couple of years.  He really wanted to run the option all the time.  I really think he molded this system to fit Cato's strengths, rather than molding Cato to fit his system.  His stuff just didn't work the first couple years because we didn't really have a good QB or the horses (O-Line) to fit any system, so he played conservative and tried not to turn it over.  I think Legg is just as good as Heater, and did just as much wit a lot of help from Peterson to make Cato, as much as Cato has made him.  I think he will be fine running and designing any system, as long as he has strengths somewhere to make it go!!  He will be a if loss as well as Heater, but now I am confident in Doc to hire worthy replacements and let them do their jobs, something Snuder was unwilling to do IMO!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »