Author Topic: H-D: Landon: MU plays it smart, brings in backup QB  (Read 1010 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: Landon: MU plays it smart, brings in backup QB
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:30:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    An insurance policy.

That's basically what quarterback Michael Birdsong is for Marshall's football program.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound sophomore transfer from James Madison University is insurance.

Think about it.

Do we carry insurance on our automobiles in case something bad happens? Yes. Do we carry homeowners insurance in the event of catastrophe? Yes. So, why shouldn't Marshall get some insurance for its very unsettled situation among the "air apparents" behind senior star Rakeem Cato?

That sounds like a very smart move.

So, Marshall made it.

Considering none of the Herd's backup quarterbacks -- Gunnar Holcombe, Kevin Anderson and Cole Garvin -- distinguished themselves during spring practice, Birdsong couldn't be joining MU's football program at a better time.

Birdsong reportedly plans to enroll at MU and spend the summer in Huntington. He will have to sit out the 2014 season, but when open competition for Marshall's starting quarterback job begins after the 2014 season, Birdsong will have two years of eligibility remaining.

It's perfect.

Particularly considering Birdsong has already started 14 games at the Football Championship Subdivision (I-AA) level and thrown 26 collegiate touchdown passes. Compare that to the resumes of Marshall's three backups, who don't even have a passing attempt to their credit.

Sounds a little like fate, huh?

That's not the half of it.

Birdsong wouldn't be transferring to Marshall if former Herd assistant coach Mickey Matthews hadn't been fired as head coach by James Madison. And if anybody doubts Matthews had a hand in Birdsong choosing Marshall. ... well, they don't know Mickey very well.

The problems began for Birdsong when James Madison hired former Ohio State assistant Everett Withers to replace Matthews. Withers wanted to install the Buckeyes' offense, which features a lot of designed running plays for quarterback Braxton Miller.

Next, Georgia Tech's starting quarterback, Vad Lee, decided to transfer down to James Madison because he didn't like the offense the Yellow Jackets were running. According to sources, Withers had to promise Lee he would be the starting quarterback.

So, spring practice at James Madison wasn't exactly an open competition.

Birdsong was the odd-man out.

And, yes, "odd" is the key word considering Birdsong completed 227 of 376 passes for 2,278 yards with 22 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, while rushing for 310 yards and three TDs on 129 attempts during the 2013 season as a true sophomore.

Obviously, he's a playmaker.

So, the native of Matoaca, Va., in suburban Richmond, decided to transfer to either Marshall or Old Dominion, which both have senior quarterbacks for the 2014 season.

Sorry, ODU.

Birdsong didn't even make it to Norfolk, Va., for a visit.

After visiting Marshall during the recent Green-White spring game weekend, Birdsong committed. What quarterback wouldn't after rubbing elbows with Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich and Randy Moss at the spring game?

Talk about a done deal.

So, what can Herd fans expect from Birdsong? Here are two of his more notable performances from last season. At Akron, he completed 29 of 42 passes for 310 yards and three touchdowns. And against Charlotte, he was 20 of 28 for 201 yards and a TD.

Oh, yeah, one more thing about the red-headed Birdsong. His nickname is the "Ginger Ninja."

He's my kind of insurance.

Chuck Landon is a sports colum

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1315748208/MU-plays-it-smart-brings-in-backup-QB

HerdFans.com

H-D: Landon: MU plays it smart, brings in backup QB
    « on: May 08, 2014, 05:30:45 AM »

Offline backontrack

Re: H-D: Landon: MU plays it smart, brings in backup QB
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:13:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Talk about a done deal"...how original...

Online girthyherdon

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:53:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2 words....... Chase Litton

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • and when Aug 2015 rolls around Gunnar will be practicing in his 7th Marshall camp...Birdsong his first. Garvin has ability too. Its wide open.

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There very well could be an additional QB coming in for 2015 to go with Litton if one of the offers currently out is accepted.

Offline NorthernHerdFan'09

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:57:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There very well could be an additional QB coming in for 2015 to go with Litton if one of the offers currently out is accepted.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see one of the current QB's transfer.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not a fan of Chuck, but I think he is correct in his observations. I am sure Doc recruited Birdsong because he thought he could be a QB at MU. I am sure Birdson didn't accept the the offer unless he thought he had the chance to be the starting QB. IMHO, Doc must have thought Birdsong would be in the mix, plus he has play QB in college (experience); he is good kid who has stayed out of trouble while at JMU to the best of my knowledge.

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Litton is supposedly as good as everyone says/thinks, he'll be the next great one.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I look for Litton and Garvin to have fierce battle for qb in a couple of years.  Litton may have the size but Garvin will have the experience.  It will be very interesting.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline goherd24

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I worry about Litton, after this birdsong transfer. I am sure the kid doesn't want to wait, and also garvin to compete with even if he was after birdsong.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate to post anything negative but the the guy who was posting and red hot on Litton coming here hasn't posted once since the Birdsong announcement.

Offline jstherd

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BHF, I might be that guy - been in the hospital.

Chase Litton by a landslide. Well, maybe not a landslide, but I sincerely believe he will be.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:19 PM »

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BHF, I might be that guy - been in the hospital.

Chase Litton by a landslide. Well, maybe not a landslide, but I sincerely believe he will be.

I think he's referring to the srvfla14 who posted videos of Litton. Hope he's still planning on coming because he looks like he's got all the tools to be a great one. On a side note, I got the email from your wife and glad to hear your out of the hospital and doing better.
    « Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:49:14 AM by biggreenarms »

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Before anyone is anointed the second coming of Johnny Unitas, you do realize that the Herd has offers on the table to 4 more 2015 QBs?

Offline srvfla14

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • YES SIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Offline srvfla14

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Litton is supposedly as good as everyone says/thinks, he'll be the next great one.

Offline srvfla14

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I worry about Litton, after this birdsong transfer. I am sure the kid doesn't want to wait, and also garvin to compete with even if he was after birdsong.
    LITTON WAS SPOKEN TO ABOUT THE TRANSFER, HE KNOWS ITS A COMPETITION AND HE WELCOMES IT .....GO HERD

Offline srvfla14

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate to post anything negative but the the guy who was posting and red hot on Litton coming here hasn't posted once since the Birdsong announcement.
    [/quote
    Life is about competition, you accept it and it makes you better, you run from it and you are average...HERE'S to being BETTER!!!!

He will be just fine, nothing "giving" in life is worth anything!

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    [/quote
    Life is about competition, you accept it and it makes you better, you run from it and you are average...HERE'S to being BETTER!!!!

He will be just fine, nothing "giving" in life is worth anything!

Glad to hear it. Go Herd!

Online 2xBison

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    glad the coaches put more thought in than that
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LITTON WAS SPOKEN TO ABOUT THE TRANSFER, HE KNOWS ITS A COMPETITION AND HE WELCOMES IT .....GO HERD

Good news! I look forward to seeing him in the Green and White. Go Herd!

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LITTON WAS SPOKEN TO ABOUT THE TRANSFER, HE KNOWS ITS A COMPETITION AND HE WELCOMES IT .....GO HERD

Excellent news.  Thanks for the update srvfla14.  Next Spring indeed will begin a great competition for the Herd QB1 spot. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »