Author Topic: Mel Kiper  (Read 1571 times)

Offline HERDFAN1999

Mel Kiper
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:46:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is there a bigger dork in all of sports tv?  It is amazing they actually pay him.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

Mel Kiper
    « on: May 10, 2014, 12:46:13 PM »

Offline tazz60

• Junior Varsity
    Re: Mel Kiper
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:34:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Totally agree.  I can't stand to watch or hear him. Has he ever played the game?

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is there a bigger dork in all of sports tv?  It is amazing they actually pay him.

Two words John Clayton

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I get tired of him too but he knows something that we don't....how to make a career talking about things that doesn't matter to any of the NFL teams.  I would trade my job for his and yap all day too.   :D

Offline MUther

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't see how he could get a helmet over that doo

Offline elginherd

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:43:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love or hate him or be somewhere in between...Mel Kiper Jr. worked his ass off to get where he is today. By all accounts he STILL works his ass off.

Hopefully DShoe will comment on this thread.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline banker

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know, since the information came out that dshoe was the person that hooked Donnan up with the Crabtree crook in Proctorville I haven't seen him post. I was shocked when I read that in the paper (was part of dshoe's testimony in Donnan's trial). Everybody on this side of the river knew Crabtree was shady. It's a shame Donnan got involved with him.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love or hate him or be somewhere in between...Mel Kiper Jr. worked his ass off to get where he is today. By all accounts he STILL works his ass off.

Hopefully DShoe will comment on this thread.

Then he isn't that smart because he has about a 100% error rate after the first two picks.  He is also a condescending jerk when teams do something contrary to his board.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline goherd50

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember many years ago Kiper was going off about someone's pick and an ESPN reporter asked what the team thought of Kiper's criticism.  I think it was Bill Polan then with the Colts - his response was "who the hell is Mel Kiper?"  Still the appropriate response.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kiper took a deep passion, saw an opportunity, and made it into a career.

I don't respect his insight any more than I do most of the draft-niks, but I don't disrespect him either.

As far as being condescending... I don't see it that way even a little bit.

To the contrary, I think as far as I've ever seen it, for someone who spends a whole lot of time studying what he studies, he disagrees appropriately. He maintains a straight face and asserts why he believes what he does. If he were one to, instead, routinely back down instead of stand his ground, you'd have to wonder if he really believes anything he says.

Offline Olen

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 01:09:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember many years ago Kiper was going off about someone's pick and an ESPN reporter asked what the team thought of Kiper's criticism.  I think it was Bill Polan then with the Colts - his response was "who the hell is Mel Kiper?"  Still the appropriate response.

Close - Bill Tobin.   ;)  I've posted part 1 of the famous Tobin v. Kiper broo-ha-ha.

Bill Polian replaced Tobin as GM and later became Team President.

Offline goherd50

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Close - Bill Tobin.   ;)  I've posted part 1 of the famous Tobin v. Kiper broo-ha-ha.

I guess I had the right team at least.  Not all brain cells are toast.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »

Offline Olen

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess I had the right team at least.  Not all brain cells are toast.

HEH - no biggie.  Apparently, Tobin and Polian are so often confused for one another that they frequently turn up as alternative search terms in Wikipedia.  :)

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I like him.

Offline HarpDaddy

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Close - Bill Tobin.   ;)  I've posted part 1 of the famous Tobin v. Kiper broo-ha-ha.

So what this tells me is Kiper was at least on the right path.  He crushed them for trading up to get Alberts.  Alberts finished his amazing career with a total of 4 QB sacks...at least Dilfer was a pro-bowler and a Super Bowl Champion.

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like him.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.   ;D

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.   ;D

Either way, the man gets paid to talk about football year round. His grades are better than a lot of GMs.

His hair is starting to fade though...

Offline jocktalker

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 09:49:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Criticize him all you want but he saw a niche and capitalized on it. Pu another way, he gets paid handsomely for his opinions while most of you on this board do not. Lol!

Offline elginherd

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually I prefer to listen to him on his Saturday morning espn radio show with Dori Noka (sp?) when it is not draft season. He does a good job of asking 'every fan' questions to baseball players & managers. And he does have a very good sense of humor about himself.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »