Author Topic: UMASS to Sunbelt?  (Read 668 times)

HerdFans.com

UMASS to Sunbelt?
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

Re: UMASS to Sunbelt?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Discussions are on.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/14/desperate-for-conference-membership-umass-discussing-options-with-sun-belt/

They turned down the MAC for full membership. Did NOT want to leave the A-10 in hoops for the MAC. So that MAC said they could no longer compete only in football anymore.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sports is a microcosm.

These things just re-emphasize how crazy things can get when you don't have anyone at the top looking at the big picture. In many ways, the NCAA has attempted to be that, but this is bigger than the NCAA... you just have too many power conferences and power schools within those conferences who... oddly enough... just acquired even more political muscle within NCAA.

This, too, is solvable. But this, too, would require a lot of disagreeable people coming to agreement.

Offline luvherd

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was told commissioners from Power Conferences are like the Mafia. Buck them and you will pay dearly.
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Online whf

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:16:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once again I'll state that I think UMass would be a great full addition to C-USA. Although not in Boston, it is the "peoples" university in that state. The private schools in the Boston area are Hugely expensive, Northeastern is public but not near the draw that UMass is.  Of course if they think they have to stay in the A10 for roundball, I'd say no.

Offline herds

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once again I'll state that I think UMass would be a great full addition to C-USA. Although not in Boston, it is the "peoples" university in that state. The private schools in the Boston area are Hugely expensive, Northeastern is public but not near the draw that UMass is.  Of course if they think they have to stay in the A10 for roundball, I'd say no.

Northeastern is private.

Online whf

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 09:11:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought it was a public university; sorry. 

Offline herds

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought it was a public university; sorry. 

Nope, every public school in Massachusetts either UMass - __________ or __________ State University

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »