Author Topic: H-D: Chuck Landon: MU's next bowl trip may be to paradise  (Read 1897 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: Chuck Landon: MU's next bowl trip may be to paradise
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:25:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Got a passport?

If not, Marshall's fans might want to invest in one.

That's because there has been a major change in one of the more likely bowl game scenarios for the Marshall football program's 2014 season.

The inaugural Miami Beach Bowl pairing a Conference USA team against an American Athletic Conference opponent on Dec. 23 in the Florida Marlins' ballpark at Miami, Fla., seemed like the perfect fit for the Herd initially.

Think about it.

Marshall's star passing combination of quarterback Rakeem Cato and slot receiver Tommy Shuler could play their final collegiate game in their hometown.

As for Herd fans, the Dec. 23 slot would allow them to fly home on Christmas Eve if they desired or spend the Christmas holidays in sunny Miami.

Then, there's recruiting. Playing in the Miami Beach Bowl was the quintessential situation for Marshall coach Doc Holliday and his staff to woo more South Florida prospects.

It was perfect.

Until, that is, the AAC, which owns the Miami Beach Bowl, decided it preferred BYU instead of a C-USA opponent. So, the AAC and C-USA traded bowls.

The AAC gave C-USA its slot in the 2014 Bahamas Bowl in exchange for the Miami Beach Bowl opening.

Goodbye, perfection.

Hello, paradise.

C-USA is expected to send its champion to the Bahamas Bowl. Unless, of course, the league champion has the highest ranking among the "non-power" five conferences and qualifies for the major bowl berth that is available in the rotation.

That could be Marshall.

But it seems just as likely the Herd will be playing against a Mid-American Conference opponent in the inaugural Bahamas Bowl at noon on Dec. 24 in a game televised by ESPN from Thomas A. Robinson Stadium in Nassau.

It's very difficult to find fault with playing in the Bahamas, but it would mean spending Christmas in Nassau -- OK, I'll force myself -- and obtaining a passport.

That's probably a wise investment considering C-USA went ahead and bought the Bahamas Bowl. So, instead of appearing in that game three times in the next six years, now C-USA will participate in the Bahamas Bowl at least four times and, perhaps, all six.

Get your sunscreen ready, folks.

But besides the beaches, remember there will be a football game there. And, apparently, it will be the first one ever played in the Bahamas.

That's why the Bahamas is going in "with the whole hog."

Just ask Dr. Daniel Johnson.

"You're witnessing history today where the Bahamas is launching its 'Sports in Paradise' program," said the Bahamas' Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture. "We have one simple, very simple, goal.

"We dominated the (track) relays a few years ago. We used to dominate in sailing. We dominated in boxing. We've had guys in the NFL and the NCAA basketball tournament. We have six NBA rings from the Bahamas.

"This is a sporting nation to deal with.

"But our ministry this year is launching out in the business of sports. We're going into the business of sports with the whole hog. Sports and tourism now brings us a platform where we can show the world what the Bahamas has naturally and what we can do.

"The bowl game marks one of the marquee events that we will have."

And Marshall could be a part of the inaugural event.

What's not to like?

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1315749503/MUs-next-bowl-trip-may-be-to-paradise

HerdFans.com

H-D: Chuck Landon: MU's next bowl trip may be to paradise
    « on: May 15, 2014, 05:25:37 AM »

Offline svherd

Re: H-D: Chuck Landon: MU's next bowl trip may be to paradise
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not to be a negative Nancy, I just don't see our fans traveling there in droves for a bowl. Frankly, I don't see any schools fans traveling there in droves. Hopefully I am wrong in that assessment.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline robowski

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was there last year and NO you DO NOT need a passport to go there. It is recommended but not required Chuck the speculator.
    Nassau on the other hand is an armpit of soceity with the exception of a few resort areas. I would not feel safe with my family there.  Its a nasty city full of potholes and sleezeballs.  Chuck should feel right at home.

Online girthyherdon

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nassau on the other hand is an armpit of soceity with the exception of a few resort areas. I would not feel safe with my family there.  Its a nasty city full of potholes and sleezeballs.  Chuck should feel right at home.
    Cancun is the same way, beautiful in the resort areas but slums in the city.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• (Please IGNORE the ad in this vid.)
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:10:54 AM by Buffalo Bop »

Offline goherd73

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was there last year and NO you DO NOT need a passport to go there. It is recommended but not required Chuck the speculator.

This is true. But you might need one if you want to re-enter the US.

If you cruise there from a US port you won't need one. 

Offline goherd24

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Nassau on the other hand is an armpit of soceity with the exception of a few resort areas. I would not feel safe with my family there.  Its a nasty city full of potholes and sleezeballs.  Chuck should feel right at home.

You need a passport unless you are on a closed loop cruise, IE a cruise that leaves and comes back to the same port. In that case you need a birth certificate. They may not check it in nassau, but good luck getting back in the us without one or boarding a plane to do so.

Nassau is not that bad. There are some bad areas, sure, but there are some beautiful ones as well and the people are nice. I have been there several times and never had any problems other than someone trying to sell you something to make a living.

The stadium is on the northern and eastern part of the island. Just west of the main city. There is a huge parking area for such a small stadium. It is literally a high school stadium. Good tailgating to be sure  but I really hope we never end up in such a disappointing bowl.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:34:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Other than the date (bad for travel, but great for TV--captive audience on Christmas Eve), this is a first-class bowl game.  Teams get to stay at Atlantis.  The travel isn't any different than flying to Miami.  Great TV slot.  Wonderful destination. 

Agree that our sites are set on the Peach Bowl, but this is a great new bowl game, even if it's tough to attend (only because of the date). 

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forgot to add that there's a 99% chance that Chuck is wrong on the "CUSA sending its champion" to this bowl bit of the article.  If the champion wants to go to this bowl, that may happen.

Online s1uggo

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forgot to add that there's a 99% chance that Chuck is wrong on the "CUSA sending its champion" to this bowl bit of the article.  If the champion wants to go to this bowl, that may happen.

well if this is even and option, and our guys need passports, they better start now in getting them.  You will probably have close to 100 people needing them, tracking down birth certificates etc will take time, plus the government takes it time.  I'd hate to be the coach (AD) that would have to drive to DC to get this expediated, and then for some reason, not be able to get Cato's or Schuler's etc passport in time to play the game!!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We are lost on where to send our champion. Heart od dallas bowl is probably our best one left, playing the big ten I think, cant remember for sure though through all the shuffling

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty sure there are athlete visas available for those competing in sporting events.  Not sure all will need a passport.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why do you guys even read what Chuck Landon writes. If we all boycott him then the HD will be forced to let him go. I REFUSE to click on any link that is associated with him.

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why do you guys even read what Chuck Landon writes. If we all boycott him then the HD will be forced to let him go. I REFUSE to click on any link that is associated with him.

I, for one am glad to see him back writing for entertainment value and by knowing that what is really going on with the Herd is the opposite of his contentions.  I was worried after his basketball hiring fiasco.  I thought that he might have died from embarrassment, but apparently he's immune.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well if this is even and option, and our guys need passports, they better start now in getting them.  You will probably have close to 100 people needing them, tracking down birth certificates etc will take time, plus the government takes it time.  I'd hate to be the coach (AD) that would have to drive to DC to get this expediated, and then for some reason, not be able to get Cato's or Schuler's etc passport in time to play the game!!

My girlfriend needed a passport for a cruise in March. It took less than 3 weeks to get it.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline coloradoherd

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The C-USA champion playing a MAC team in December?  That sucks

Offline MrRobertPruett

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is no reason to worry about a bowl opponent yet. Win enough and things will take care of themselves. Bowls go through so much horse trading so who knows where we will end up, but the Bahamas wouldn't be a bad destination most years.

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like we're going for our 6th MAC Championship this year.  Go 4-0 against them and I don't see how we don't get some sort of trophy.

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would think it would be hard to get fans to pay that expense to watch a MAC team. Hopefully Herd is headed for something bigger.
    "The Herd #1"

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I must agree. I refuse to click on any link as well. I've had enough of him putting down Hamrick, Doc and Marshall as a whole.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My girlfriend needed a passport for a cruise in March. It took less than 3 weeks to get it.

You don't "need" a passport for a cruise unless you end up at a different port when you come back to the US, than the one you left from. Just a birth certificate or a new ID in some states are accepted as well. Save you a little money.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You need a passport to get on the ship. Personally, I think we are going to be in big bowl this year.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 11:34:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You need a passport to get on the ship. Personally, I think we are going to be in big bowl this year.

Incorrect. You do not. Just need a birth certificate, been on several cruises all over the place. Never wasted a dime on a passport.And I agree, I think we will make the access bowl, and Doc finally gets it together on getting us ready for road games.
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:35:33 PM by goherd24 »

Offline Thunders

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a feeling our future bowl games are going to suck in regards to the teams we will be playing. I'm not traveling on a flight and a cruise to watch us play Bowling Green or Toledo. We just have to hope we are ranked and good enough to get the big bowl
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Incorrect. You do not. Just need a birth certificate, been on several cruises all over the place. Never wasted a dime on a passport.And I agree, I think we will make the access bowl, and Doc finally gets it together on getting us ready for road games.

We cruised from Tampa to Honduras, Belize and Mexico last March. We had to have a passport with us before we boarded. Had to show it at customs when we re-entered the US.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »