Author Topic: H-D: Chuck Landon: MU's next bowl trip may be to paradise  (Read 1900 times)

Offline HerdBlizz

Re: H-D: Chuck Landon: MU's next bowl trip may be to paradise
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We cruised from Tampa to Honduras, Belize and Mexico last March. We had to have a passport with us before we boarded. Had to show it at customs when we re-entered the US.

You showed one but didn't need one....here is the paragraph from the us customs website

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We cruised from Tampa to Honduras, Belize and Mexico last March. We had to have a passport with us before we boarded. Had to show it at customs when we re-entered the US.

Did you re-enter the US at Tampa?

Offline goherd24

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You showed one but didn't need one....here is the paragraph from the us customs website

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Thanks Blizz I was about to post the same information.

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok...killing me with the passport requirement.  Here is the link to the WHTI requirement:

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

It explains the requirements.  Originally, the passport  was going to be required to enter the US at any port.  HOWEVER, the cruise lines had too much "political clout" to allow this to happen.   Costing companies $$$. Therefore, the "close loop" waiver was created.  Wouldn't be shocked at some point this waiver is revoked. Also, the cruise lines can make the passport a requirement if the company sees fit.

Remember, it always safer to use the passport when traveling overseas.  It IS the approved GLOBAL document for international travel.  It ONLY takes about 3 - 4 weeks to get your passport. This isn't circa 2010 when the passport office had a HUGE backlog of request because of WHTI.
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline goherd24

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok...killing me with the passport requirement.  Here is the link to the WHTI requirement:

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

It explains the requirements.  Originally, the passport  was going to be required to enter the US at any port.  HOWEVER, the cruise lines had too much "political clout" to allow this to happen.   Costing companies $$$. Therefore, the "close loop" waiver was created.  Wouldn't be shocked at some point this waiver is revoked. Also, the cruise lines can make the passport a requirement if the company sees fit.

Remember, it always safer to use the passport when traveling overseas.  It IS the approved GLOBAL document for international travel.  It ONLY takes about 3 - 4 weeks to get your passport. This isn't circa 2010 when the passport office had a HUGE backlog of request because of WHTI.

Killing you? For posting little known info that can save a family hundreds of dollars when taking a cruise?

Just no reason to get a passport if you want to crise. Fairly sure anyone reading this thread that might be thinking about a cruise, may be grateful for saving hundreds of dollars as that may be the only reason they would ever want or need a passport.

And I doubt youll see that from any cruiseline. They would instantly lose the business of every well informed potential customer that diesnt want to waste time and money on a passport. 

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just no reason to get a passport if you want to crise. Fairly sure anyone reading this thread that might be thinking about a cruise, may be grateful for saving hundreds of dollars as that may be the only reason they would ever want or need a passport.

1) Hopefully nothing goes wrong on your trip and you don't have to fly back to the US from a foreign port.
    2) Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting.
    3) A person can afford a cruise but can't afford a passport???

Offline goherd24

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1) Hopefully nothing goes wrong on your trip and you don't have to fly back to the US from a foreign port.
    2) Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting.
    3) A person can afford a cruise but can't afford a passport???

I have been to literally every western carribean, eastern, the bahamas, and the caymans, as well as mexico. They only need to see your cruise key at the ports.

Yes, if something happens, like you being irresponsible and missing your boat, will put you in a bind for a few days. If an emergency occurs, we wouldnt knowni anyway. That is the time that we completely detach from the outside world and be a family. The only time these days.

Its not about being able to afford it. I can "afford" to burn $125 right now just for fun. It doesn't make it a good use of my money. You can go on a cruise for about $250-$300 per person. A passport is $125 or so if I remember correctly.  Why pay 50% more for no reason? If you are afraid youll miss the boat, buy one. If you are afraid something might happen back home, buy one. For us, it makes way more sense to spend that money on the ship or an island, rather than on paperwork we dont need.

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Yes, if something happens, like you being irresponsible and missing your boat, will put you in a bind for a few days.

Or instead of you being irresponsible, the flight has a mechanical and you can't catch your ship.  Then you have to fly to one of the foreign ports to catch your ship.  I've never experienced this (as I go a day before and stay in a hotel) but did witness this situation with about 10 other passengers leaving Cincinnati.  No fault of the passenger.  This is why the cruise lines strongly recommend securing a passport.

Back to the thread,  if you fly to this bowl game, you will need a passport (no closed-loop waiver for flying).

Offline goherd24

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2014, 11:11:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or instead of you being irresponsible, the flight has a mechanical and you can't catch your ship.  Then you have to fly to one of the foreign ports to catch your ship.  I've never experienced this (as I go a day before and stay in a hotel) but did witness this situation with about 10 other passengers leaving Cincinnati.  No fault of the passenger.  This is why the cruise lines strongly recommend securing a passport.

Back to the thread,  if you fly to this bowl game, you will need a passport (no closed-loop waiver for flying).

... part of being responsible is understandimg that and NOT booking a last second flight to your cruise.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He said "instead of irresponsible, the flight has a mechanical"

So you quote him without reading or understanding his point?  Maybe if you weren't so eager to share your knowledge the discussion would flow better
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline goherd24

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He said "instead of irresponsible, the flight has a mechanical"

So you quote him without reading or understanding his point?  Maybe if you weren't so eager to share your knowledge the discussion would flow better

Before you attack someone, please understand the post. He mentioned you could miss your ship and need a passport, not because of you being irresponsible, but because of a problem with a flight. I responded that booking a last second flight, IS irresponsible, because those things happen quite often you see. Not booking an earlier flight is a risky thing to do.

The whole thing is silly. Get the passport if you want, if you want to not get one, play it very safe. Anyway, I hope we do not end up in the bahamas bowl
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:10:16 PM by goherd24 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »