Author Topic: H-D: HHS' Cabell to walk on at MU  (Read 490 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: HHS' Cabell to walk on at MU
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

HUNTINGTON -- Huntington High School all-state defensive tackle Nigale Cabell will continue his football career at Marshall University.

Cabell accepted an offer to be a preferred walk-on with the Thundering Herd. He chose Marshall over offers from several smaller schools including West Virginia Wesleyan College and Concord University.

"It's bigger ball and the schooling is good," Cabell said. "I'll give it my best shot and see what I can do."

Cabell earned Class AAA all-state first team honors as a senior and was runner-up to Wheeling Park linebacker Geremy Paige as the Huff Award winner, given to the state's defensive player of the year. Cabell also was named as The Herald-Dispatch Tri-State player of the year after leading the Highlanders to the Class AAA state championship game, where Huntington High lost to four-time champion Martinsburg, 9-7.

At 5-foot-11, 235 pounds, Cabell is considered small for NCAA Division I, where Marshall competes. Cabell said he plans to remedy that problem.

"I plan to play defensive tackle, but they can move me around," Cabell said. "I have to put on weight. The average freshman lineman gains about 25 pounds. I want to do that and try to get quicker because I'm a smaller guy."

Cabell's intensity is a bonus that made up for his lack of size. He was dominant in high school against larger players and headed a defense that was considered by many people as the best in the state. The Highlanders, who finished 13-1, held Martinsburg's state-best offense to a mere 83 yards.

In 14 games, Cabell made 71 tackles, sacked the quarterback four times, recovered four fumbles and made two quarterback hurries. Cabell, a three-year starter, put up those numbers despite teams running away from him as much as possible.

Huntington High School coach Billy Seals said Marshall is getting an excellent defender who possesses great potential.

"Nigale's a heck of a football player," Seals said. "I think he's the best defensive player in the state. Every year he's gotten better and better."

Cabell, who also helped Huntington High's wrestling team to two consecutive state titles, said he plans to major in Physical Therapy or Athletic Training at Marshall. He also said he didn't grow up a Herd fan, but is thrilled to join the defending Conference USA East Division champion.

"Being involved with football, I never kept up with any team," Cabell said. "I'd just cheer for the team I played for. I never really had a favorite school where I wanted to go."

Cabell said he never really thought much about college football until his senior season when he began attracting attention.

"Recruiting has been really different for me," Cabell said. "In previous years, I didn't think much about it. Then my senior year it was time to make some visits and I realized it's up to me."

Marshall impressed Cabell.

"When I visited, I liked what I saw," Cabell said. "At Wesleyan, everyone liked the school whether they played sports or not and I liked that, but there's something different about Marshall.

"I've always lived here, but when I visited, I really saw how serious football is at Marshall. I liked that seriousness very much."

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1315749883/HHS-Cabell-to-walk-on-at-MU

HerdFans.com

H-D: HHS' Cabell to walk on at MU
    « on: May 16, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »

Offline jpdusa

Re: H-D: HHS' Cabell to walk on at MU
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:51:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc likes those wrestlers :)
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
    -Mark Twain

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good to see a local kid getting a chance. Marshall needs Huntington High to continue to be successful. There are a ton of athletes in that school. If HH can continue to get those guys out and develop them, its only a matter of time until we get a few studs out of there imo.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • makes me laugh when they say "235 lbs is small"   ;D

Offline dwaynehinkle

Re: Re: Re: H-D: HHS' Cabell to walk on at MU
    « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • makes me laugh when they say "235 lbs is small"   ;D