Author Topic: H-D: Former players react to Donnan verdict  (Read 334 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
H-D: Former players react to Donnan verdict
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    HUNTINGTON  — Marshall University fans and former football players reacted to Friday’s verdict in the trial of former Thundering Herd coach Jim Donnan the way they might an unexpected on-field victory — with surprise and elation.

An Athens, Ga., jury found Donnan not guilty on all 41 counts related to his role in an investment fraud scheme involving Huntington-based liquidations and closeout company GLC Limited.

“Awesome,” said former Herd linebacker Larry McCloud, who was recruited by Donnan and his staff. “That’s good to hear. I was shocked to hear he was even charged with anything. Those are really unfortunate circumstances for him to be in. I’m glad to see it come out the way it did. I’ve never known him to be a dishonest man.”

McCloud’s sentiments were repeated by person after person. Nearly all said they were thrilled with the verdict and that they were stunned to hear that Donnan was accused of being involved in such a scheme at all. Investors lost an estimated $23 million in the scheme in which prosecutors claimed Donnan recruited more than $82 million in investments.

Donnan, 69, coached Marshall from 1990 through 1995, compiling a record of 64-21 and leading the Herd to the NCAA national championship game in 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1995. Marshall won the title in 1992. He resigned on Christmas Day 2005 to become head coach at the University of Georgia.

Aaron Ferguson, an All-American guard under Donnan, said he was surprised and pleased that the former coach was acquitted on all charges.
    “When I looked at 41 of the same charges, I wondered if they had to go through each one individually,” Ferguson said. “With 41 counts, I thought that some way he’d be found guilty on at least one of them.”

Ferguson said he is relieved for Donnan and the coach’s family — wife Mary, son Todd and daughters Christie and Tammy. Todd Donnan was a standout quarterback at Marshall under his father.

“I feel so good for them, but at the same time i feel sorry for them,” Ferguson said before adding that he thinks co-defendent Greg Crabtree of Proctorville, Ohio, misled Donnan. Crabtree pleaded guilty to a single count of conspiracy last month and faces up to five years in prison under a plea deal in which he testified against Donnan.

“The other guy got away with it,” Ferguson said of Crabtree. “A lot of people were very trusting, coach Donnan included. I couldn’t imagine that this man who recruited me would do something like that to so many people.”

Person after person was incredulous that Donnan could be duped into such a scheme.

“If things seem too good to be true, they probably are,” said Herd fan John Pinkerman, who knows Donnan and Crabtree.

Marshall supporter Dave Elmore said he, too, was surprised to see Donnan’s name associated with such a scheme and that it was out of character for the coach he knew. Elmore said he was pleased and amazed that the jury rendered the verdict it did.

“Aw, man, I can’t believe that,” Elmore said, excitedly. “After reading everything that’s been in the paper, I thought there was no way in the world he’d get out of that. They deliberated so long. I’m glad to see it.”

“Shocked,” was how former Marshall equipment manager and current sports radio host Woody Woodrum said he felt when he heard the verdict. Woodrum worked under several Marshall coaches including Frank Ellwood, Sonny Randle, Stan Parrish, George Chaump and Donnan.

“With 41 counts, I didn’t think he could count on anything less than at least one count coming back guilty,” Woodrum said.

Woodrum said a former Herd player recently told him he couldn’t imagine Donnan “would lead people down this path.” Woodrum said he couldn’t believe it, either, nor could he comprehend how the coach and former ESPN commentator could be duped into the scheme.

“Jim is the hardest coach I ever worked for, but he’s also the smartest coach i ever worked for,” Woodrum said. “I’m happy for Jim and his family. I’m sure this is a huge burden off him. I’m happy for JIm and sad for Greg. I know this has to have cost a lot in money, time and friendships.”

It might also have cost a lot in perception. Before the scandal, Donnan was known for leading Marshall to Southern Conference and national championships, as well as for four bowl victories at Georgia. Donnan and his staff recruited most of the players who played on the Herd’s 1996 NCAA Division I-AA national championship team coached by Bobby Pruett and several others made up the nationally ranked 1998 and 1999 teams after Marshall moved up to NCAA Division I-A.

“All this doesn’t change what Jim did as a football coach at Marshall or at Georgia, but it changes the perception of him” Woodrum said. “I’m glad that a 69-year-old man isn’t going to spend the rest of his life in prison, but my question is do any of the investors go after him in civil suits? A lot of people lost a lot of money.”

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x359114730/Former-players-react-to-Donnan-verdict

HerdFans.com

H-D: Former players react to Donnan verdict
    « on: May 17, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »

Offline gochneaur645

Re: H-D: Former players react to Donnan verdict
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seriously, H-D?  Christmas Day 2005?  That's just embarrassing.

HerdFans.com

Re: H-D: Former players react to Donnan verdict
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »