Author Topic: Defense discussion (Football)  (Read 891 times)

Offline marshallz13

Defense discussion (Football)
« on: May 22, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you guys think is going to happen at the CB position? Lovett is gone but we have Swag locked down at the #1 spot but who's going to man the #2 spot? Tindal, Baxter, the VT transfer? Or one of the others? Do we let Tindal play outside or keep him as nickel back?

Also the LB positions, last year we had Holmes, Hewitt, and McKelvey as our main starters with Houston playing a good amount as well. And we have Hunter moving back to LB as well as Waiters improving too.

Holmes and maybe McKelvey are entrenched as starters but could it be Hewitt, Turene, Waiters at the other spot?

HerdFans.com

Defense discussion (Football)
    « on: May 22, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: Defense discussion (Football)
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • both positions you mention are almost too close to call but with M Johnson and C Wilson available for nickel, Tindel might get the nod at corner. Lotta depth on D this yr.

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • both positions you mention are almost too close to call but with M Johnson and C Wilson available for nickel, Tindel might get the nod at corner. Lotta depth on D this yr.

I forgot about those two, it does seem likely we have Tindal opposite Swag.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • by C Wilson I was referring to DE'Andre(Chocolate) not Corie who has been here a while at safety.

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • by C Wilson I was referring to DE'Andre(Chocolate) not Corie who has been here a while at safety.

Oh okay.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like this year's defense will have the depth to go either big, fast, or a combo of both.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • emergence of Daniel in spring further solidifies the line..maybe 9 who will play every game...7 LBs and 7 or 8 secondary...most with game experience. A very good 2 deep..yesiree Bob.

Offline marshallz13

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hunter was freshman of the year when he played OLB.

That leaves Hewitt (who started last year), Houston, Turenr, and Waiters all as # 2's. We have so much depth all over our defense.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On paper we have a tight unit with some nice depth....

To me, the decision on who to play at LB, will be based on leadership, toughness and tackling....

Not on pure speed or athleticism.... 

We had some issues stopping the run in the second half of games on several occasions...

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • could that have been because of the 4-2-5? Maybe more 3 LB formations this yr. Sparrow will be missed but Brown should be coming on if he's going to. Giant of a man but I haven't heard much about his ability. Dillon and Samuel have been here a while as well.  R Williams who can play inside or out could strengthen the run D. We haven't seen much of K Turene either who is a bigger backer. Like everyone is pointing out, I figure there is little to worry about with the first twelve short of Cato getting hurt. And I don't think even that would sink our boat.

Offline backontrack

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last year was the first season in a LONG time where we made plays and created turnovers...if we can continue to do that we'll be swimming in butter...

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    could that have been because of the 4-2-5? Maybe more 3 LB formations this yr.

It was, but Heater felt like he had athletes that he could move around and cover most anything....A couple DBs in that nickel that were basically tough enough to be small linebackers and play the run....and he was right to an extent...

Our guys made plays in space especially Evan McK, but when they ran right at us in the second halves we gave up about 5,6 yards a clip....

It's not fair to blame one or two guys...but, another way to approach it is try and find toughness in 2-3 guys and make them  leaders and they set the attitude of the defense....

That attitude is not "swag" like "we're a better caliber of athletes", it's more like "we'll whip your a$$"
    « Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:12:07 PM by Johnnyherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »

Offline banker

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Teams won't be running much on us in the second half this year unless their plan is to just kill the clock and get the game over with.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The MT game the D just didn't show up and that was on the players and Heater with a nod to the fact that MT won at Maryland a couple yrs back and Ga Tech and were top SB since day one. And I think they returned like 19 starters last yr. The Rice game we were snookered thinking run, run, run and they practiced pas, pass, pass. Their QB made some nice throws and our players were beat about the game not being here. We are about 1 and 12 in Tx. I figure the run D will be better and maybe needed game 14 in Dallas vs Big shits.

" are you(we) gonna worry for the rest of your life"?  Doobie Bros -  It Keeps You Running

Online girthyherdon

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe Donaldven Manning will be a starter within the first few games. Kid is unreal on film, that caliber of talent can't be held off too long.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • and Roberts and Tindal have proved themselves already so its all good.....and it feels wonderful

"Baby mellow my mind
     like a school boy on good time.."     Mellow My Mind  -  Neil Young

Offline goherd24

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Houston will go down as one of our best ever LBs. He is a freak. He wont be held out of the starting lineup IMO. Tindal will be a CB.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »